I need 5 lnb on my tripod

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blakeping

Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Direct TV has been out 3 times to my house now and won't put up a 5lnb because of my tripod. what stops me from putting the 5 lnb system on my smaller dish? ( I have the older type with the separate 2 off the arm) will this work? If not what is my course of action to get more then 7 HD channels?

Clearify

I currently have a 3lnb system, and in my basement an older 5lnb system (the one with 2 lnbs on a seperate little arm) My question is can I install the 5lnb system from the big sat dish onto my small 3lnb dish. will I get signal with out the wind load issue?

Okay, where to start....

No, you can not just swap different type of LNB's to a different dish and expect to receive any/all of you signals. Those dishes are designed to reflect the sat beams in a particular way to focus on specific points (which happen to be where the LNB eyes are). A smaller 18" or 20" dish will not properly reflect the signals from all 5 orbital slots. In addition, I'm not even sure the 5 LNB will fit into the reflector arm of a smaller dish.

Why do you NEED a tripod for you dish? There are several mounting options that could be used for a 5 LNB dish. Given the fact that the 5 LNB dish is much more sensitive to alignment issues that the older dishes, you would need to get a tripod specifically designed for the larger dish. Why not just go with a traditional mount?

5 lnb

Well I live in a very wooded area and would have to cut numerous trees to get clear line of site without the tripod. I was hoping to get the HD channels with out giving up the woods and privacy that I desired when I bought the wooded lot. I have also heard of a new tripods that have a 2" pole, why won't they intall on these? Any suggestions please!!!

Guess I'm a little confused about why it's taken 3 visits to determine they won't/can't mount a 5-LNB on your existing tripod. Seems to me from the first visit it would have been clear that the pole for a 3=LNB is smaller than the 5-LNB 2" requirement and that should have been the end of that discussion. There are 2" OD tripods out there so I guess you could always buy one yourself and have an installer put the old "sidecar" 5=LNB on it or maybe even do it yourself. Having not been in the situation of requiring a tripod for installation I'm not sure of DirecTV's position on that being a standard install or custom job requiring an additional fee.

Well I live in a very wooded area and would have to cut numerous trees to get clear line of site without the tripod. I was hoping to get the HD channels with out giving up the woods and privacy that I desired when I bought the wooded lot. I have also heard of a new tripods that have a 2" pole, why won't they intall on these? Any suggestions please!!!

Hi, as reported by Mike500, there' a sleeve that slips over your shaft to adapt to the larger diameter Slimline. I just checked ebay and apparently there are none available right now. (at least I could not find any and his link didn't work.) it's an inexpensive option for you but you have to find one. sorry :confused:

Depends on where the tripod is located. I assumed, which is always dangerous, that there was a good reason in the first place for using the original tripod. Thank goodness there are actually a number of acceptable ways to install a dish. No one approach meets all the potential situations.

Depends on where the tripod is located. I assumed, which is always dangerous, that there was a good reason in the first place for using the original tripod. Thank goodness there are actually a number of acceptable ways to install a dish. No one approach meets all the potential situations.

I agree, which is why I qualified my statement with "should".

To be quite honest with you, I have seen the old 5lnb dish work with the new slim line lnb. Problem is to make it fit since there is a bottom lip on the lnb itself. you would have to jerry rig it somehow. I know most of you people are thinking that it won't but i have seen it for myself. As a matter of a fact, I just did a service call a couple of months back, the guy had 2 hd in his house. As i was checking everything i saw the dish but didn't notice the what kind, i just took a quick glance walking past it. the problem ended up being a bad receiver. as i was leaving the guys house, i went through his back porch since he was back there with his cigar, i needed him to sign off on the paperwork, i took one good look at the dish and i was damn to see that was in fact an old 5lnb dish with the new lnb. all the hd was working but then again this was before the new satellite launched. I guess we'll see what happens.

I think his question really was could he mount a 5-LNB (sidecar version) on the arm of his existing 3-LNB. It was a bit confusing at first but the OP clarified in his second post. As far as I know no version of the 5-LNB can be mounted on the older and smaller 3-LNB dish and work, at least not for all satellites.

Direct TV has been out 3 times to my house now and won't put up a 5lnb because of my tripod. what stops me from putting the 5 lnb system on my smaller dish? ( I have the older type with the separate 2 off the arm) will this work? If not what is my course of action to get more then 7 HD channels?

Hi, as reported by Mike500, there' a sleeve that slips over your shaft to adapt to the larger diameter Slimline. I just checked ebay and apparently there are none available right now. (at least I could not find any and his link didn't work.) it's an inexpensive option for you but you have to find one. sorry :confused:

They are still listed.............

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150230471763 end time Apr-03-08 15:38:37 PDT)

And, they work like a charm.

Just be sure that the pole does not extend too high from the tripod.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts