I need a DVR lesson here.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I have the DVR that opperates two TV's.

My problem here is that I have TV 2 as the default for recording...Which is fine...MOST OF THE TIME......

I dont underdstand why (maybe it does do this), I cant watch something on TV2 when I am recording IF I am not watching TV 1? Like, why can;t it just start feeding me TV 1's signal instead until someone tries to change TV 1's channel?

I had DirecTV, and never had to worry about where I was going to be watching TV in advance....I just switched the channel and it did the rest.....

Is there an easy way to set this system up so I dont have to worry about where I am watcxhing TV when it's recording?

Unfortunately I can't help you, but since I need DVR lesson too, I figured we combine it here so the experts don't need to answer twice?

My question is similar, when I record on TV2 (different room) and somebody starts watching that TV, will I lose my recording or will DVR automatically switch to tv1.

Also, am I right assuming that both TV turners can record HD, even though only TV1 can output it?
Or is it pretty much that I need to record on TV1 when doing HD recording?

Thanks,

Ps. I have the VIP 622

Last edited:
Both Tuners record HD, it is only the output to tv 2 that is SD.

If you start watching a TV2 while someone is recording on tuner 2, it will tell you that you will stop the recording if you change the channel, and verifies if you want to do that.

I believe the best solution to that is to change the mode from dual mode to single mode. If you do that, then both tv's will have the exact same output, but you will be able to watch something on TV 2 while tuner 2 is in use. Of course this would also change the channel on TV1.

The reason your Direct TV tuner didn't have this same problem was that it wasn't designed to drive two TV's, it is only designed to work like a Dish DVR in Single Mode.

Hope that helps!

This is a common problem many new subs experience. Dish never makes clear to potential subs that the dual ouput DVR's split between 2 rooms will, in many instances, limit the ability to record one channel while watching a different channel on the same TV. Operationally, this functions as if they installed 2 single tuner DVR's in each room. Dish just asks how many TV's the sub needs connected, then saves itself money on the install. And if Dish were to explain the limitation, hence requiring the sub to the additional costs, Dish probably feels potential subs will balk. I know quite a few people who are a bit upset that Dish provided only the one dual tuner DVR between the two rooms. They would have preferred an install that allowed for full-time single mode at one TV and an independant box at the 2nd TV. But they did not understand this at the time arrangements were made for installation.

Last edited:
Dvr

Could someone answer these questions for me or tell me what I would need? Dish customer service was not very helpful or I really didn't explain it correctly.

FYI: I have 4 TV's, I need to be able to record 2 programs at the same time.

Do I need 1 DVR or 2 DVR's or 1 dvr and 2 receivers?

When you record a program with dish dvr you can not watch another program on the same tv or can you?

If I'm recording 2 programs they can only be viewed on the TV they are recorded on? I'm not sure how the duel DVR receiver works.

Can each TV watch a different program?

I have comcast cable dvr and I'm used to recording 2 programs while watching a 3rd on the same TV and all other tv's can watch different programs.

Thanks for any info.

The 622 has three tuners (2 sat. and one OTA - all three record HD when the source is HD) and two independent outouts, TV1 and TV2. Each of the two TVs can watch an independent channel in the "Dual" mode. You can be recording while warching and there are several combinations of recording, vs. watching a channel, vs. watching prerecorded programs. The tuners are basically independent of the TV outputs with some limitations. You'll need to read the User's Guide and do some experimenting to learn all the valid combinations. There are also some tricks the users have discovered to add more workarounds. Search "622 tuners" for some good reading. Here is a link to the User's Guide if you don't already have one:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/userguides_manuals/receivers/ViP622_DVR/index.shtml

Re: 4 TVs - you could connect all to one 622 and be able to watch 2 separate programs at once. If you want 3 or 4 independent programs at the same time, then you need at least one additional receiver. How many of your TVs are HD? You might another 622 to give you two HD outputs and 2 SD outputs, all independent, or perhaps a 622 and one or two 211s. There's quite a few possibilites depending on how many independent HD viewing locations you want to have.

In your case it sounds like one 622 will work and perhaps a 322 to add two more independent SD viewing locations.

BRgds...

This seems the best thread to post this question.

Here is my setup, which is brand new.
I have a 622 HD DVR that was set up by the installer for two rooms.
I need to figure out the difference between dual and single mode that pertains to recording.
I have an antenna hooked up to record our only HD station CBS. Next month I will have two HD over the air channels as ABC is coming online soon.

From what I can tell right now it is impossible to record more than one OTA channel in a certain time slot in the mode that I am in currently.
Also I seem to only be able to record only one Satellite channel in a certain time slot as well.
How would changing to single mode help this problem? I know that I would only be able to watch the same thing the main tv is showing on the second tv in single mode.
But is anything different with the recording capability?
I never plan on watching anything recorded on the secondary tv. Only the main one.

If anyone can put this in simpler terms than the manual does, please reply.
Thanks.

Watching TV1 on a "TV2"

With the 622, you just need to turn on the TV1 modulator set (Menu, 6, 1, 5) and set the TV1 output to any channel except the channel you are using for TV2. When you want to watch TV1 at any "TV2," you just put that TV on the channel you choose for TV1. The only problem is that the TV1 remote is not RF in the standard setup, but you can fix that (search the Dishnetwork forums for instructions).

I have the DVR that opperates two TV's.

My problem here is that I have TV 2 as the default for recording...Which is fine...MOST OF THE TIME......

I dont underdstand why (maybe it does do this), I cant watch something on TV2 when I am recording IF I am not watching TV 1? Like, why can;t it just start feeding me TV 1's signal instead until someone tries to change TV 1's channel?

I had DirecTV, and never had to worry about where I was going to be watching TV in advance....I just switched the channel and it did the rest.....

Is there an easy way to set this system up so I dont have to worry about where I am watcxhing TV when it's recording?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts