I need everyone's advice please...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
My Manhattan 1933 STB died last night and I have a 1997 one on the way. I have a 7.5 foot dish, that I plan on replacing with a 10.5 footer which I have cleaned up over the weekend. I have a friend coming over on Thursday to help me take down the 7.5 footer and put up the 10.5 footer. We planned this last week for him to come by.

My question is, should I wait until the new STB gets here and use it for a couple of days with my 7.5 footer, which I know is on the arc, before I put up the 10.5 footer and align for the arc?

Which option would you choose and why? I know many people here have put up multiple dishes, so I just wonder if this situation has come up for someone else as well. Even if this hasn't happened to you, please let me know what you think I should do.
thanks
cpsp0

If it was me. I would try it with the 7.5. I had a 7.5 foot up. Took it down to move the post on other side of home because trees were blocking half of dish on 139 west. I put the 10 foot up on it. Wish i had tried it with 7.5 for a few days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What FaT Air said. You'll be way ahead of the game if you do blind scans on many satellites with your current dish. Plus, you'll KNOW the new receiver is working correctly when you go to the new setup. Have fun!!

If you don't have a lot of installing experience, you'll be "blind" scanning in the "blind for sure. :)
Best to wait another week if you have to and use your current set-up with the new receiver a couple of days.

Your reasons are sound. I think I will wait to put up the new dish, until I know my way around the new STB pretty good.
thanks for the help

Reactions: FaT Air
Has the 10 footer already been up and used before or is it a new install?
It has been up, I got it from a guy 12 miles from me.
The dish still has the old actuator attached. Not sure if the actuator still works.

Attachments

• 0214161157-00.jpg
    0214161157-00.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 195
I look at it a little different.I'd mount the dish the first time I had the help and the weather co-operates.Mark the pole for true south using the 7.5 and hang that new puppy.Otherwise it might be spring before I could get it up.But that depends on your local weather.
I hope to get out in the mud tomorrow and start assembling my 10 ft'er...hopefully get it up by Sunday.We have rain forecast for Tuesday,then snow Wednesday.Grrrr.

I can sit inside and play with finding the Sats and channels in the bad weather...but I'm not going to hang a dish in the snow and rain. ;) Setting it up the second time has to be easier than first,right?

If is was nice weather...I'd go with what the others have said.

Reactions: dl76
I just put up the 10 foot last Thursday after i moved mounting post and it works great. Im thinking about taking it off , just to see how the 7.5 foot performs since i moved the post. If i didnt have a step son to help i would just leave it. I also figured out how to install a big dish now. So it wont be much work.

if it was me i'd take the time and install the new receiver to see how it works. Just because its another manhattan doesn't mean the functions will be in the same menu place. Installing a new dish is not the time to find out they moved the blind scan feature to a new menu. a new install will go smoother if you already know where to scan or add a new transponder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts