i need help again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
DAMN, you've help me so much, i feel like i owe you a semi of "cold" drinks! but, i got more q's!....
i did the thing with channel master and the uploader for coolsat, put the sats in order, got rid of the "c" band sats, but noticed that the program automaticaly put commited on # 1.no problem on that, but on one sat,( i'm thinkin 87w) pbs chanels have no sound and the other channels do! what is all the blue "5-dots" on the info screen? 1-will show $ sign, 2-speaker?, 3&4 nothin, 5th sometimes like a <> (when that shows, i get no sound).
clock..what should i set it at? doesn't seem to matter what i set it at and save, when i shut it off or turn it on, it changes!
freq's....i've seen some sats on lynsat that might have some good channels on freqs like on "10600", but cannot pick them up, am i right at guessin that the lnb only picksup 11700 and above?

The sound on some Pbs Ch & other Sat Ch are AC-3 so you need a decoder or receiver and or a computer sound card that can decode AC-3 sound.

Have fun
Billion

Last edited:
freq's....i've seen some sats on lynsat that might have some good channels on freqs like on "10600", but cannot pick them up, am i right at guessin that the lnb only picksup 11700 and above?
Yes, your guess would be correct. Those frequencies below 11700 are Universal frequencies, you will need a Universal LNBF to get them. Your QPH031 won't get them.

Al

so the coolsat 6000 won't decode ac-3? well that sucks! i kinda figured that the qph-031 didn't go below the 11700 range. out of ALL the things i've been reading, i did remember seeing that freq range somewhere.
thanks for all your help again!

The Coolsat 6000 will decode AC-3 but you need an external audio amplifier for it. I have a simple one set up on my Coolsat 5000 for the PBS :)

Some stereo systems have a dolby digital input. Thats what you need :)

i got the coolsat hooked up to the tv with the y,p,b, and audio cables, then out of the tv to the pioneer receiver for the surround sound. it works great on all channels except the ac-3 ones. i've tried changing audio settings on the pioneer, but still haven't had any luck picking up any sound on those channels. is there another cable i should be using?

you would need to hook a optical cable from the Coolsat to the receiver directly

on the back of the 6000 there should be a spdif connection. Thats what it gets plugged into

shultz, go to radio shack and (well circuit city prob has them too) get yourself one of those optical cables, funny little plug in back of your fta rec, S/PDIF its called. Just bought one, the stereo or tv must have dolby decoder built-in, it'll have the S/PDIF input on it . Connect that 20dollar 4' fiber optic cable up and you should be cooking
charles

so the coolsat 6000 won't decode ac-3? well that sucks! i kinda figured that the qph-031 didn't go below the 11700 range. out of ALL the things i've been reading, i did remember seeing that freq range somewhere.
thanks for all your help again!

The Cool Sat will pass AC-3 sound but you still need a device 2 decode the AC-3 sound like a receiver or a computer sound card thats AC-3 Dolby compliant.

good luck

request for FAQ

IceBerg -

How many times has this come up in the last 10 days?
What about a little FAQ on the subject, with pictures of the connectors and cables?
Then, maybe a list of FTA receivers that'll put out AC3 (as opposed those which are broken).

Not sure if the 6000 has the coaxial audio output too (like the 5000) but if it does you may not need an optical cable. Just use a regular RCA patch cable to connect it to the dolby digital receiver.

I'm sure there are cables designed specifically for such a thing but at least it would tell you if it's passing ac-3 and it saves you $20 and a trip to RS!

Not sure if the 6000 has the coaxial audio output too (like the 5000) but if it does you may not need an optical cable. Just use a regular RCA patch cable to connect it to the dolby digital receiver.

I'm sure there are cables designed specifically for such a thing but at least it would tell you if it's passing ac-3 and it saves you $20 and a trip to RS!

I use the RCA S/PDIF out on my Cool Sat setup and it works fine on AC-3 sound

optical cable pricing

Yes, I believe any modest RCA cable would work for that.

As for the optical cables, I usually shop well and get mine for about $1 per foot.
They are always on sale somewhere; I go to regular swap meets; internet suppliers meet those prices.
I always keep a spare around for that next emergency ;)

shultz, go to radio shack and (well circuit city prob has them too) get yourself one of those optical cables, funny little plug in back of your fta rec, S/PDIF its called. Just bought one, the stereo or tv must have dolby decoder built-in, it'll have the S/PDIF input on it . Connect that 20dollar 4' fiber optic cable up and you should be cooking
charles

I am thinking of a surround sound system w/ optical . Priced an optical cable at the local Electronics Supply . All he had was a 3' cable that had optical S-Video & yellow , red & white RCA jacks . Less than $ 10 .

The mass market retailers are ripping people off on cables ! :-(

Bought a firewire cable for wife's camcorder for less than $ 10 . Retailers had them for $ 25 - 35 . :-(

Wyr

The mass market retailers are ripping people off on cables ! :-(

Bought a firewire cable for wife's camcorder for less than $ 10 . Retailers had them for $ 25 - 35 . :-(
Yes, this is very true. Look at the prices the big guys are charging for coax and fittings... $2 a pop for compression fittings! Outrageous. As for firewire, I found a place that had them for $4.25 shipped. Got a few at that price :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts