I need help for gameday!

carolinagirl

Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Columbia SC
Ok, for starters I have NEVER done this before, so if you are trying to help, please use very basic instructions :)

We are planning on using DISH network satellite at our Gamecock tailgate this year. We have all of the necessary parts, just don't know what to do from here. Last week, I tried to set this up and failed. So I need help step by step about what to do.

We have the DISH network turbo HD dish and the huge tripod that it stands on. We have the Vip2k11 receiver from our office with subscription, and a 32" HDTV. We have 2 or 3 marine batteries and 2 750 watt inverters. Last week, we got everything set up, hooked up and working, but I didn't know where to point the satellite or what angles the dish should be at, etc. I know this sounds idiotic, but I just don't know where to begin. The zip code for the place we tailgate is 29201.

Should I buy a satellite finder? Also, we did end up getting it to point to a satellite and started working, but it wouldn't let us access any of the channels. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, gameday is tomorrow!! Thanks!

Using that zip code your azimuth is 234, the elevation on the dish is 37 and skew would be 129, if you have used that dish before it should be on the last 2, the azimuth is where you would aim the dish, if you have a smart phone check out dish pointer.com we have a forum here DishPointer.COM Official Support Forum , but get their app which should help. Very important to be sure the tripod is level, use tent stakes or blocks to be sure it doesn't move... What receiver are you trying to use?

Dish pointing (Azimuth and elevation mount):
Set the dish elevation angle first. This is the up/down angle. Use the elevation scale on the back of the dish. Set the skew angle also. This involves rotating the entire dish assembly, There is a scale behind the dish. Face the satellite, clockwise is positive. For the azimuth bearing use a compass and swing the dish sideways.

Ok, for starters I have NEVER done this before, so if you are trying to help, please use very basic instructions :)

We are planning on using DISH network satellite at our Gamecock tailgate this year. We have all of the necessary parts, just don't know what to do from here. Last week, I tried to set this up and failed. So I need help step by step about what to do.

We have the DISH network turbo HD dish and the huge tripod that it stands on. We have the Vip2k11 receiver from our office with subscription, and a 32" HDTV. We have 2 or 3 marine batteries and 2 750 watt inverters. Last week, we got everything set up, hooked up and working, but I didn't know where to point the satellite or what angles the dish should be at, etc. I know this sounds idiotic, but I just don't know where to begin. The zip code for the place we tailgate is 29201.

Should I buy a satellite finder? Also, we did end up getting it to point to a satellite and started working, but it wouldn't let us access any of the channels. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, gameday is tomorrow!! Thanks!

Hi, what dish are you going to be using? If it is different then the one that the receiver was hooked up to at the home base then you will have to run a check switch. I have had reasonable success using one of those cheap squeal type satellite finders, just be aware that it seemed to block the switching of the LNB when it was in-line so only one satellite would come in - that was when I was using a Dish 500 with the DPPlus dual LNB. I'm a big fan of keeping is simple for the portable setup. If it was me I would take a look at TheList link above and see if all the channels I needed might be on the same satellite. If so a simple Dish 500 with the single LNB on it would be all that was needed. Hope this helps, DC

If I were you I would sell that Dish antenna and tripod and buy yourself a Tailgater by Dish Network. You already have the receiver that is compatible with it and all the other goodies needed to watch TV. The Tailgater sells for $349 and points automatically for you. You'll be glad you did, believe me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)