I NEED HELP TUNING DISH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steve800x

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
ny
My dish with is a 5 lnb {only 3 really} slimline must of moved. I have a h 23 receiver. Most of my HD channels are gone . It says searching for signal 771.

101 is 94%
110 is 89%
119 is 94%
99a is 74%
99b is 0
103a is 0
103b is 0
I messed with this for almost a hour but the bugs won. I'm new at this so any help is more that I know now. I'm not sure how to tune this without losing my signal that i have now. At my friends house his 110 and 119 is at 0 but his 103a is 100 and 103b is 90. All I want is ch 278 and 282 back and I would be happy. Thanks for any help.

Is 103 a & b for HD only. If I have a signal on most of the other SAT's how do I get a 103 reading. Is it tilt or elev. Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

If you've had the new setup for less than a month, call DIRECTV IMMEDIATELY.

You should confirm that the mast is rigid and plumb. Absent those two things, it will never sit still.

If you've had the new setup for less than a month, call DIRECTV IMMEDIATELY.

You should confirm that the mast is rigid and plumb. Absent those two things, it will never sit still.

AND

Check the satellite selection in MENU. Even though there is an option for 3LNB (phase 3) dish you are using a 5LNB (slimline). It is not uncommon for techs to select the 3LNB because they count the horns on the Ka/Ku dish and select the wrong dish.

Might be wrong but worth checking.

Also from the numbers it looks like you are a few degrees too far east. Try a few very slight AZ moves right / west with your 103 signal meter on. Position someone to call you with the numbers....work slowly...there is a bit of a time lag on the meters.

Joe

Last edited:
AND

Check the satellite selection in MENU. Even though there is an option for 3LNB (phase 3) dish you are using a 5LNB (slimline). It is not uncommon for techs to select the 3LNB because they count the horns on the Ka/Ku dish and select the wrong dish.

Might be wrong but worth checking.

Also from the numbers it looks like you are a few degrees too far east. Try a few very slight AZ moves right / west with your 103 signal meter on. Position someone to call you with the numbers....work slowly...there is a bit of a time lag on the meters.

Joe
The dish type is 5 LNB ,Multi-sat
zip code is 13039
101 is 94
110 is 83
119 is 92
99a is 94
99b is 0
103a is 0
103b is 0
Elevation is 34
Tilt is 65
So your saying to just to move the Azimuth to the right slowly.
What about the Elevation or the tilt?
Thanks for you help.

The dish type is 5 LNB ,Multi-sat
zip code is 13039
101 is 94
110 is 83
119 is 92
99a is 94
99b is 0
103a is 0
103b is 0
Elevation is 34
Tilt is 65
So your saying to just to move the Azimuth to the right slowly.
What about the Elevation or the tilt?
Thanks for you help.

Tilt rarely needs tuning....set it to the published number.
Assume the el is ok for now.

Mark the mast and dish base before moving the az...loosen the rear bolts only....move right very little. Watch as the signal on 103 goes up and then back down. Go back to the hightst point and tighten the rear bolts.

Push the top and bottom of the dish. If the signal improves adjust the el the same way.

You are close enough to also do this with the dither controls. I just won't spend the money on the meter.

Go slow....You are close.

Joe

Tilt rarely needs tuning....set it to the published number.
Assume the el is ok for now.

Mark the mast and dish base before moving the az...loosen the rear bolts only....move right very little. Watch as the signal on 103 goes up and then back down. Go back to the hightst point and tighten the rear bolts.

Push the top and bottom of the dish. If the signal improves adjust the el the same way.

You are close enough to also do this with the dither controls. I just won't spend the money on the meter.

Go slow....You are close.

Joe
With the dither control knob I went west {right} with no luck yet. Do you think a couple of turns or a few degrees on the knob. I'm using a phone on speaker to listen for it {wife went shopping}. I'll be happy to hear something on 103. Does it matter if it on a or b. I was using a with no luck. This can stress you out when it so close. I need a beer. LOL Thanks again for your help.
Steve

With the dither control knob I went west {right} with no luck yet. Do you think a couple of turns or a few degrees on the knob. I'm using a phone on speaker to listen for it {wife went shopping}. I'll be happy to hear something on 103. Does it matter if it on a or b. I was using a with no luck. This can stress you out when it so close. I need a beer. LOL Thanks again for your help.
Steve

You will see the 101 change first. It will probably go up and then down a little..still in the 90s...then you will see the 103 begin to move. The idea is a compromise to hit all three (or five) sats from the same dish. Any move you make moves the whole rig in that same direction.

I would still suggest pushing the dish through the compass line (az) (rear bolts only) until you hit the 103... then dither if you want. Just loosen the dither lock down bolts before you start and tune one parameter at a time. Tighten all at the end.

Some other numbers to know.........signal below 70 is too low for activation..tune
more.
.........signal below 40 you start to loose picture &
sound as during a storm
The Ka (99 & 103) HD .....will go down & out first in storms
The Ku 101 (110 &119) .......will be easier to find and will work better / longer
in storm conditions

...signals in the 90s on all sats are not hard to hit
even without a Birdog meter......that meter
cannot "see" the Ka sats anyhow.

I never paid attention to the a / b or conus (c) and spot beam(s). They seem to vary from receiver type to type.

Somebody on here knows. They may even have recent info on a receiver lock out program that shuts you out of the receiver if you don't get a signal promptly. You might even want to do a reset before continuing.
Check for the presence of audio and video on your screen. Examine the signal meter results. Channel 362 is a good HD test. If that is there the rest will be ok.

Joe

Last edited:
Hmmmm - I would tend to think that it's just about impossible to get readings on 99a, 101, 110, 119, and NOTHING on the other 3 birds.

Anyone else think bad LNB here?

You will see the 101 change first. It will probably go up and then down a little..still in the 90s...then you will see the 103 begin to move. The idea is a compromise to hit all three (or five) sats from the same dish. Any move you make moves the whole rig in that same direction.

I would still suggest pushing the dish through the compass line (az) (rear bolts only) until you hit the 103... then dither if you want. Just loosen the dither lock down bolts before you start and tune one parameter at a time. Tighten all at the end.

Some other numbers to know.........signal below 70 is too low for activation..tune
more.
sound as during a storm
The Ku 101 (110 &119) .......will be easier to find and will work better / longer
in storm conditions

I never paid attention to the a / b or conus (c) and spot beam(s). They seem to vary from receiver type to type.

Somebody on here knows. They may even have recent info on a receiver lock out program that shuts you out of the receiver if you don't get a signal promptly. You might even want to do a reset before continuing.
Check for the presence of audio and video on your screen. Examine the signal meter results. Channel 362 is a good HD test. If that is there the rest will be ok.

Joe
I messed with this all day yesterday with no luck.
101 is 94
110 is 85
119 is 90
99a is 89
99b is 0
103a is 0
103b is 0
Channel 362 says seaching for sat signal.
The only thing that I did not try was to go left on the az which would be south.
I tried using my gps as a compass but unless your moving there not that good. My little one had my small compass and now its mia. If I'm getting most of the sat's I must be facing the correct way I think. Some HD channels work like ch 281 but not ch 282. Is the window that small for 103? Would going south on the az be it maybe. I hate when I can't figure things out. I even went on my friends roof. He has a slimline with only 1 {3} lnb's .His elev and tilt are the same as mine. Same H 23 receiver. His 103 was 100 on a and 90 on b.
I hate to give up but I'm almost there.

You have a 90 day installation warranty call Directv before you screw things up and lose what you have for satellites.

more.
sound as during a storm
in storm conditions

Joe
Does anyone know if I have a 90% on 99a with 0 on 99b. I've be just using 103a to find the signal. Am I suppose to use 103b. I hope thats the problem why I can't find anything on 103.Please left me know. Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)