I need RG6 education

DomSue

Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
phoenix
We are building our own house and are almost at the wiring stage.
I need help! I am totally confused at to the different types of RG6 cable.

I learned on here that white cable is not good for outdoors.
Do I need DUAL?
Do I need quadsheild?
Do I need braided?

When I go online to purchase a 500' roll, there are various types and various prices. Am I missing anything else?

I don't want to buy the wrong type.

Thanks. This is my first posting but you all seem so knowledgeable. I'm counting on ya!!! ;)

I don't think the color of the cable makes too much of a difference, if any. If you're wiring the house and running the lines to a " smart box " try to run two lines outside at least. I go to many houses where only one line is ran from outside to the smart box and customers are weary of allowing me to drill and run a second line. Running the second line would outside would only apply if going with DTV or Dish, cable will just use a splitter RG6 is fine, I don't think quad shield would be a necessity.

quadshield is generally used by cable.
60% braid is acceptable by satellite.
Solid copper is a must for satellite.

I would run a minimum of two lines to each room. and 4-5 to your media/entertainment room, and any other room you would anticipate having multiple uses. Also run ethernet cable as well.

quadshield is generally used by cable.
60% braid is acceptable by satellite.
Solid copper is a must for satellite.

I would run a minimum of two lines to each room. and 4-5 to your media/entertainment room, and any other room you would anticipate having multiple uses. Also run ethernet cable as well.

Agreed... I contract to wire preconstruction homes and businesses and I try to convince the folks to run DUAL lines to each room... if you don't need it, leave it behind a face plate and it is ready for when you do...

And ALWAYS run CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cable at the same time... saves time and money and headaches down the road. Solid Core Copper is the best way, it covers most if not all potential future requirements...

Contact a local installer and get their opinion...

quad shield is used for attenuation (signal loss), I'd only use it if you live in a super hot area, as others said there's solid copper and copper clad, I've used both with zero problems. Just make sure you compress the fittings properly (braids around the stinger will cause shorts)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)