i need some advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

roadhog1616

Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
put my pole in ground today, 2 feet deep and 22 inches across ,6 ft. out of ground. will start putting antenna up tomorrow afternoon. now this is where the fun begains. i have a 9 ft. ranger antenna. drake low noise amp model 2577,drake esr 240A receiver dont have a remote,cant read the model number on the actuator. my longitude is 82. now what is my next move?

You're putting in a single conversion analog system from the early 1980's that has absolutely nothing to do with any modern equipment. All that equipment will be able to receive is a very small spattering of analog signals scattered about, but even that would require wiring you won't need except for a receiver of that type...namely a separate +15 volt line for the downconverter/LNA. I suppose you have the actuator controller and have tested it's function. You have a long row to hoe.

The only thing you will be able to use from that system is the dish and maybe the actuator, if you have the actuator controller. I would scrap the Drake altogether and get some kind of C band (or C/KU band if your dish is KU compliant) LNBF to use with a modern DVB receiver. You also haven't stated what you intend to receive or if you have any other more modern equipment.

Ok..that bit of info helps. It will be much simpler for you to get a C band LNBF to use with your Coolie 5000. They are relatively cheap so you're not out a lot of money, and you won't have to worry about having to deal with mechanical polarity switching. An LNBF will replace all of your electronics out at the feedhorn...one coax run takes care of it. You didn't mention if you had an actuator controller...you will still need to come up with a way to move the dish.

i have a silver box that is hooked on the pole with the wires from the feedhorn running into it, and the 3 strand cable and a single wire running from it. i assume that this is the controler. i just moved my tv outside and going to try to find a signal. heck this is fun already

Hope you didn't kill your TV, dang that is bad luck. You mentioned a silver box out by the dish that has wires from the feedhorn going into it, that may be a 'downconverter', if your wires coming out of it go to the receiver. The earlier cband electronics were an lna on the dish, wired to a seperate small box called a downconverter, later models the lna/dc were combined to make one unit called an lnb (low noise-block downconverter). If you knew all that was good, you could make it work on your Coolsat, but you'd still need a way to change polarity of the signals.
The feedhorn usually has a small blue box on it that worked off dc current from the older analog satellite receivers-they sent the voltage to change polarity when you change from vertical to horizontal channels. That's why you could really use the newer thing on the dish-the c-band lnbf, which changes polarity using voltage sent to it from the coolsat. No tiny motor, the blue box that is, to worry about. Post some pictures of your lna and stuff if you can.

ok went to galaxy in atlanta, and purchased a, PMA24 actuator,a,DMX242 c band LNBF;and a VBOX. so where do i start,can i pm someone or call someone, im better at listening that reading direction.im so sorry but i forgot the guy that worked there, but he was so helpful, he asked me questions abouth my needs and made suggestions.so i thank you galaxy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)