I need your help in dealing with Dish Network Support

FWIW- I have three Maxtors on my Home Theater rack now. The first one was a 750Gb and the other two are 1Tb Maxtors. It seems that the ext drives run continuously 24/7. I've never really verified this but "the lights are on" :)

peano- What other brands are being used and what do you think holds up the best for DVR service? Also, if you don't mind, what qualifies you to judge? Do you repair these for a refurb facility?

Seagate is the one I use. Only qualifications are repairing DVRs for friends and family and one of my own. Every failed internal drive has been a WD. So far no problems with Seagate.

How do the External Western Digital Hard Drives rate as far as failure?

That is what I purchased for my VIP211 after reading that many are using those here at satellite guys.

I use a WD for my external too. Works fine. My only experience is with failed internal DVR drives.

I have been having an unusual amount of trouble this Fall with Dish Network Tech Support. To describe it as incompetence would be an understatement.

My problem is that after several years my VIP 622 developed hard drive problems. Picture breakup was the symptom, then finally it would reboot continuously.

OK, the first go around, I get a refurbished from Spartanburg, SC and that would be OK with me if it worked, but it didn't. And they have to send out another, and another, and another and now once again #4 fails! Yet these tech guys continue to give me a hard time insisting that the used equipment they send out is perfect, like new. See this thread for details including today's latest bout.

I suppose that they stopped making VIP622's and any hope of a new one is impossible as all they have are broken used 622's that they keep sending out.

I know some of you have had similar problems and got a 722 or 722K new machine to replace the defective equipment. What did you do to achieve that request? The techs I speak with and ask for that upgrade insist they never do that unless I would purchase a new one from a dealer.

I really want a 922 but these are not yet released and I don't expect them, based on the beta report threads to be out for customers like me until next summer. But I'll settle for a 722 or 722K with OTA module now as I'm really getting sick of how I'm being treated by the new breed of techs at Dish Network.

I'm open to all suggestions, except from the D* trolls who would suggest I just quit Dish Network. Ironically, I actually do feel Dish has better equipment, but not the stuff that is broken that they send out to annoy their good and loyal customers.
First, your receipt of 622's via Dish is what you get. As long as Dish has Reman 622's in stock that is what they ship out to LEASE customers.
There are factors as to why when a tech services your system he "will not" simlpy give you a 722 or the K model. It is because he has none to give you on a service call. He may have them for new comnnects. I do not know. A typical work order for a new connect will specify a 622 OR 722(k).
Our shop does not stock 622's.
This issue depends on your location. Really. If 622's are pletiful in the distribution warehouse nearest your location, then that is what the techs have on their trucks.
Now. I find it rather incredible you would have several of these with the idential problem.
Have you ever had the electrical system in your home checked for voltage spikes or ground faults? These or one of them, could be a factor. One thing I may ask is do you use a surge protector for your 622?
As a lease customer you are NOT necessarily entitled to NEW equipment. Equipment may be refurbished/remanufactured.
If you wish to ensure receipt of NEW equipment, you may purchase.
However, if you purchase, you are not under warranty after a certain period of time has passed should you not choose to purchase the Protection Plan.

Last edited:
My 622 started acting up the other day, I called for a replacement and the replacement went out after about 40 minutes. I'm sure the refurbs work for the brief amount of time they test them (if they really do).

Thankfully in my case the orignal 622 started working again.

Once the 922 comes out I'm always going to have 2 DVRs at once in case 1 goes out.

You can dish it up to a 722 for $100, but if you want the 922 with in 12 months you won't be able to get the upgrade price. They told me I would be able to do both since I've been with them for so long, but I didn't want to risk it.

I think in your case, you should explain you're situation and insist they upgrade your 622 and them allow you to purchase a 922.

Note. There is no gurantee a customer will receive a 722k on a DIU. Once again, it depends upon the stock carried by the local office.
All new connect and DIU work orders read 622/722(k).

They must use a different "cheap" grade of hard drives in the internal ones and Dish must have tried saving money just like he did with all those lnb failures and some of these power supplies that are failing in these receivers. I remember the tuner issues in the 501/508 receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)