I notice in the dbstalk website you can't talk about "moving" but you can here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
One reason they are very tight lipped about moving is because many of their staff work for Directv, and and I don't mean as installers.

It shouldn't be allowed here then either, should it ?
Like Chip said, if it is only being used in one location, it is not a big deal. Both companies are aware of this practice, and I have never heard of either of them trying to stop it.

Other things like stacking and stealing service are not allowed.

My take. We really don't have a reason why "Moving" posts are allowed. It may sound like the same thing but I think of it rather as they are not removed. It isn't against any laws, and you will receive no fine from anyone. And unlike stacking I don't believe DISH will do anything other than make you use your own market I suppose. Unlike getting Distants which did put some onus on the provider for verification you should be receiving more than one set of locals I don't know that DISH is obligated to investigate if you are or are not in the Market you say you are.
To the contrary, they encourage you as an RVer or Trucker to call in and get your locals changed. Obviously they have no proof you are in an RV or not. And with the advent of Spotbeams so widely used now it lessens your choices anyway.

Separately and not a reason to allow anything, all the rules about getting locals are antiquated, and, well stupid.

My take. We really don't have a reason why "Moving" posts are allowed. It may sound like the same thing but I think of it rather as they are not removed. It isn't against any laws, and you will receive no fine from anyone. And unlike stacking I don't believe DISH will do anything other than make you use your own market I suppose. Unlike getting Distants which did put some onus on the provider for verification you should be receiving more than one set of locals I don't know that DISH is obligated to investigate if you are or are not in the Market you say you are.
To the contrary, they encourage you as an RVer or Trucker to call in and get your locals changed. Obviously they have no proof you are in an RV or not. And with the advent of Spotbeams so widely used now it lessens your choices anyway.
Well other than making u fax a title for your rv

Reactions: whatchel1
True I wasn't clear that you had to have an RV or at least give them a title that you do, but they do not know if you are using the receiver there or in your home.

"Moving" is against the tos in your Directv contract. Openly supporting it might be bad for their jobs.

That's not the reason. Directv knows this happens. Not only in Canada, but in Mexico as well. Actually DirecTV is more liberal when it comes to allowing people to be open in forums, but you have to keep in mind that there is an ethical issue on what people do and don't post. I doubt it anyone is going to get fired over talking about people moving and grey areas especially if it brings more cash and subscribers to the mother ship. Do they openly support it? No, but they wont get fired from talking about it. Directv really is more concerned about any confidential information getting posted to the internet. That is a big no no and often why many Directv employee's tip toe on these forums for the fear of saying the wrong thing or inadvertently saying something that might not yet be released for public knowledge. What makes things harder for their employees is Directv never really has any product launches so it's hard to be excited about an upcoming project that customers will love . Its hard to gage and know when you can and cant talk about it, or when it becomes OK to talk about new stuff coming down the line. I know many employees would love to tell you about what's coming up and give you the details you want, but wont because they don't know if its ok to talk about it because no official launch has happened or announcement. They want you to be excited about the stuff coming up, but also you have to keep in mind that this is a business in a very tight market, and any tip off can also be detrimental as everyone is seeking a competitive advantage even though everyone already knows what everyone else is doing.

...it's not a big deal.
...it is not a big deal.
I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but that's your opinion(s). It's still against the rules that their customers agree to.

Then again, if a Canadian resident "moves" to a US address to receive D* service, that's against some CA regulation, as I understand. I don't want to say they're "breaking the law" as that's probably too strong of a term.

And there you have it from the big dog's mouth!

Just to tie into what Tampa said.... It is not just RV'ers. There are also people that have vacation homes, campers, tailgaters, truckers, gypsies(very much less likely, but thought I would include them), and many more. RVing is not the only legit reason someone would want to change their address, and most others do not even have something they could use to prove such as RV Titles.

DBSTalk is used as the techs that are on there, as their own private forum. Same with DirecTV's forum. If an outsider comes in. They will attempt to get you banned from either place. Especially if you start answering questions. Comcast is the same way. They only allow a few chosen, that per the employee that is treating that forum as their private club. Will lock you out from helping others, or asking a question and they think that you are being difficult.

One reason they are very tight lipped about moving is because many of their staff work for Directv, and and I don't mean as installers.
Actually the ones that feel that it is their own private clubhouse, are installers. They do the same over at the DirecTV forum. I signed up at the DirecTV forum when I first got Direct. Within a week, one of the installers, started to report my comments as trolling. In turn I was banned from there, because the installers on there, were getting upset that an outsider got into their own private clubhouse.

"Moving" is against the tos in your Directv contract. Openly supporting it might be bad for their jobs.
I do not know how moving your service from your old residence to a new one, or allowing someone to take over your contract can be construed illegal. It is an honest question, that the installers over at DBSTalk figure that since they are not going to make any money out of it, they close the post, and then ban the person that posted it.

I'm talking about "moving", as in telling Directv that you have moved to a different dma to get their local channels when you in fact haven't moved at all. It's not illegal, but it is against the tos of your contract.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts