Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
I have an HD-Tivo with an OTA.

The onscreen guide shows my local channels, followed by the same local channel with an "-1". My installer told me that this represents the local channel being received via OTA.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to capture HD on these stations. I have read all sorts of posts describing: (1) distance from towers; (2) waivers. Admittedly, I have grown very confused.

Can someone please take me through the next steps that I need to follow (if any). Pretend your explaining it to someone with as much knowledge as your spouse (no offense intended).

You should qualify for the distant networks in HD from NY for CBS, FOX, and NBC. You will have to call the HD Eligibility line and have waivers sent on your behalf.

ABC is a different story since it isn't owned and operated by ABC, but by Belo. You will have to do some fancy convincing with their station manager to get that waiver approved.

Fortunately I had the waiver for ABC approved when we lived in southern Indiana, and Directv never turned it off, even though the ABC here in the Dallas area denied me. :D So I have all 4 networks in HD from NY.

It seems strange to me that I need waivers. How do the waivers impact whether my OTA picks up HD broadcasts?

In any event, thanks Neutron. Is there a phone number I need to call. Also, how long does it take for the process.

Finally, has anyone had success down here for ABC. If so, what worked and what didn't

Oh, for OTA you don't need waivers, I was talking about distant networks.

Your receiver (look for 4-1, or 5-1, or 8-1 or 11-1) will automatically receive the HD channels provided you are close enough to the towers.

Ok. So then for OTA it sounds like all I need to do is sit back and enjoy. If ABC broadcasts in HD, then I just tune in to my 11-1 station and enjoy the game.

Assuming I have that right, then what is up with distant networks. This sounds as though it is something that comes through the satellite. If I have OTA, then why would someone be interested in distant networks?

Distant networks come from the Satellite. If your locals are owned and operated (and 3 in DFW are) then you get the distant network feeds from NY for no charge.

If you are in the DFW market ABC is on 8-1.

Ok the distants come through the satellite (I assume in HD). . . but if I am getting the locals in HD via OTA, then what is the benefit of obtaining the distant networks?

More programming, also you don't have to rely on the OTA signal with the distant net.

My wife found an advantage to having ABC-HD from NY. Our local ABC is a day behind in her soap opera, so she watches the distant feed.

Do you happen to have a phone number or the name of the department i need to speak with.

How long does this process take

litig8,

If you are able to get your local channels in HD with OTA antenna, you will not be able to qualify for distant signals, Distant originally were for those that cannot get a grade b signal with an over the air antenna.
You will probably find that your local OTA signal will be a better picture than the sat.

In most cases, if you go to the -1 channel , that will be where your HD signal will be found, the -2 and -3 generally is an analog signal streached to fill your 16x9 screen, but NOT HD

Sometimes the -2 or -3 will have a local weather doplor on it as well

Jimbo

You're right, but if he's in a market that has owned and operated stations, such as Dallas, then he will automatically get those after he asks for a waiver.

Neutron,

How do you find out if the stations are O&O ?
Is there a site for this info ?

So your saying I can get my local ota, which I do,
And also possibly get NY and LA as well, I live in the EASTERN TZ.
So maybe NY ????
Do you need to file for a wavier to all the local networks or will D* just turn them on ?

Jimbo

First off, you need an antenna hooked up to your receiver to get OTA - you don't mention if you have one hooked up already or not...

What kind of antenna depends on how far you are from the towers. Plug your address in here, then post the results if you need help picking out an antenna: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

If you already have an antenna, disregard everything I just said. :)

I did this and all of my digital channels showed up in red-uhf, which it said is medium. Problem is that I live in an two story apartment and can't have a roof top antenna. Is there any type of indoor antenna I can use to try and get my locals? Also, when it says digital channels, are they talking about HD? Sorry, I'm not too smart about antennaes. Thanks.

Zip code used was 23238.

Digital can lead to HD but does not mean that:

1. the affiliate is broadcasting it (at all or full-time)
2. that the program is produced in HD

Gotcha. Must have digital to get to HD. I know my locals are listed as HD (not sue if thats true), but I do see the -1 channels listed in the guide. What kind of antenna, if any, would work for me for the indoors? I'm in Richmond, Va. here, 23238 if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

DobyMax said:
I did this and all of my digital channels showed up in red-uhf, which it said is medium. Problem is that I live in an two story apartment and can't have a roof top antenna. Is there any type of indoor antenna I can use to try and get my locals? Also, when it says digital channels, are they talking about HD? Sorry, I'm not too smart about antennaes. Thanks.

Zip code used was 23238.

You should be fine with a Zenith Silver Sensor. It is generally accepted as the best indoor antenna.

http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_Display.asp?cat=49&id=131

However, you are close enough to the towers that I would just plug in a regular old set of rabbit ears if you got them lying around somewhere. I've even had good luck just hooking a piece of coax to my HR10-250 and duct taping it to my wall a couple of feet away.

Probably, not everything on your locals will be in HD, but they will probably pass the network HD feed for primetime sitcoms and such.

http://www.enhancedht.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=RIC1

From that site, it looks like you will be getting HD from CBS, FOX, ABC and NBC. Just not UPN, or PBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)