I predict...

You guys are going off on all sorts of tangents. I've gotten some pretty reliable info that V*'s president has been to Colorado quite a few times to meet with E* and some sort of carriage arrangement has been arrived at (and Scott has, of course, already reported that Charlie has been to Cablevision/Voom hdqtrs). It is now in the hands of the legal depts. to cross the T's and dot the I's. The specifics of the arrangement were not relayed to me but logic can only point to a few permutations. This can only be good for us, I hope!

juan said:
bell atlantic mobile merged with a vodaphone to become verizon wireless..this had nothing to due with gte

you are confusing verizon wireless with verizon wireline. Verizon wireline very much has something to do with gte.

AndyMon said:
It is now in the hands of the legal depts. to cross the T's and dot the I's. The specifics of the arrangement were not relayed to me but logic can only point to a few permutations. This can only be good for us, I hope!

Have you any idea how many business arrangements fail at this stage? Lots and lots and lots, that I've been personally involved with in some way or another. And the bad thing is.. it usually boils down to the egos of the CEOs.

That being the case... we are doomed.

snathanb said:
Have you any idea how many business arrangements fail at this stage? Lots and lots and lots, that I've been personally involved with in some way or another. And the bad thing is.. it usually boils down to the egos of the CEOs.

That being the case... we are doomed.
No, how many business arrangements fail at this point? And, I would like an exact figure! <G>
I hope your involvement wasn't the reason for the failure of the deals. If it was, then maybe this deal stands a slight chance of coming to fruition since I don't believe you are involved in it, hehehe.
Anyway, it's always nice to think that maybe, just maybe, something good may happen for the poor E* subs. Law of averages, y'know?
Don't take offense at my reply here. It's all tongue in cheek since I'm in a randy mood. Nothing personal, I'm just being a jerk. ;):):D:D

snathanb said:
you are confusing verizon wireless with verizon wireline. Verizon wireline very much has something to do with gte.
no im not..i know pleanty about verizon. I was there when it was nj belll and im still there

juan said:
wrong wrong wrong..

the name changed due to a fcc mandate..
Why is it that most posts that start out "wrong wrong wrong" are wrong?
(Snipping the rest does not show agreement. I just wanted to quote the most glaringly wrong part of that post.)

juan said:
bell atlantic mobile merged with a vodaphone to become verizon wireless..this had nothing to due with gte
<BLEEP> wrong. The BA/GTE merger was before the FCC at the time. BA and GTE were confident that their merger would go through, confident enough that when GTE purchased Ameritech's Chicago and St Louis markets they kept the Ameritech name ... knowing that a combined BA/GTE name would be right around the corner. The BA/GTE merger took longer than expected, so Verizon Wireless started as just BA (BAM and C1) plus Voda (AirTouch, PrimeCo, and C1). But GTE was *always* part of the master plan.

juan said:
no im not..i know pleanty about verizon. I was there when it was nj belll and im still there
You seem to know as much as the average DNSC tech knows about grounding. Next you will be telling us how Verizon led the way by pioneering the use of 911 as an emergency number in honor of the victims of Sept 11.

Those that ignore the past are destined to be stupid.

And now we return to our regularly scheduled talk on the future of SATELLITE TELEVISION. Please don't insult us with any more misinformation about wireless and telephone companies.

JL

justalurker said:
Why is it that most posts that start out "wrong wrong wrong" are wrong?
(Snipping the rest does not show agreement. I just wanted to quote the most glaringly wrong part of that post.)

<BLEEP> wrong. The BA/GTE merger was before the FCC at the time. BA and GTE were confident that their merger would go through, confident enough that when GTE purchased Ameritech's Chicago and St Louis markets they kept the Ameritech name ... knowing that a combined BA/GTE name would be right around the corner. The BA/GTE merger took longer than expected, so Verizon Wireless started as just BA (BAM and C1) plus Voda (AirTouch, PrimeCo, and C1). But GTE was *always* part of the master plan.

You seem to know as much as the average DNSC tech knows about grounding. Next you will be telling us how Verizon led the way by pioneering the use of 911 as an emergency number in honor of the victims of Sept 11.

Those that ignore the past are destined to be stupid.

And now we return to our regularly scheduled talk on the future of SATELLITE TELEVISION. Please don't insult us with any more misinformation about wireless and telephone companies.

JL
oh well since you know everything i will abide with your wishes

You guys are sick!! SBC can't even run a phone company properly and some of you think they will take over E*.

I've never had a problem with SBC. I use them for local, long distance, and DSL. The CSR's are helpful. Any service changes or billing questions are handled quickly and professionaly. And, I receive everything on one bill. I'd love to add my Dish service to my SBC account, as long as there is no increase in price. I'll bet they'd turn around Dish's piss poor CS. It may take a while, though. (They did wonders for PacBell.)

juan said:

Verizon is not justa wireless company. It si the RBOC for alarge number of states on the East Coast. It was not created by the merger of teo cell carriers.

thats not what i meant..verizon wireless is a seperate company within verizon communications(yes it did merge with gte wireless operations later on and it was planned) verizon wireless is (mostly) non union subsideary soon(or was soon) to be spun off as a completely seperate corporate entity I believe its a"272 company" right now..ps please correct me " just a lurker "if any of this info is incorrect :bow :bow

I predict that E* will announce TNT HD will be added as part of the recently completed negotiations. :yes

I predict whatever National HD channel D* adds in the coming months E* will follow suit. This has been the pattern thus far.
I imagine once Direct 7S is fully tested and channels are allocated and moved around D* will add at least one HD channel. E* will have to match.
I also see the price of a HD receiver for D* falling to $250 in the next 6-12 months. E* will follow suit as well.
This year seems to be the year for D*to shine and grow strong, E* has had the spotlight for a while and now now D* will take over. Massive local roll-out this year for D* and new interactive roll-out as well.
As a E* customer I am disappointed in the outlook for the year ahead vs D* but look at cable and still get chills. For all the delays I got to say when I turn on the TV I get a great picture and get practically all the content I want at a decent price.

AndyMon said:
No, how many business arrangements fail at this point? And, I would like an exact figure! <G>
I hope your involvement wasn't the reason for the failure of the deals. If it was, then maybe this deal stands a slight chance of coming to fruition since I don't believe you are involved in it, hehehe.
Anyway, it's always nice to think that maybe, just maybe, something good may happen for the poor E* subs. Law of averages, y'know?
Don't take offense at my reply here. It's all tongue in cheek since I'm in a randy mood. Nothing personal, I'm just being a jerk. ;):):D:D

No offense taken at all... :)

I was usually involved in the preliminary technical feasibility studies, as part of produce line management. The best of partnerships would fall apart when the CEOs would bicker over the stupidest things... but it was much more common in situations where the CEO was the original founder and had too much emotional involvement in the company.

snathanb said:
No offense taken at all... :)

... but it was much more common in situations where the CEO was the original founder and had too much emotional involvement in the company.
Cool :)

I guess, then, that based on the emotional involvement of the players involved here (E* & V*) it doesn't bode well for an agreement. :no However, hope springs eternal. Maybe we'll get lucky this time and a mutually beneficial arrangement can be worked out.
I'm keeping my options open w/no commitments except cost of E* hardware (which can be recouped) waiting out an industry in a state of flux. Combine E*, D* & V* and I'm there (but keep the costs down, please)!! ;):rolleyes::D

juan said:
thats not what i meant..verizon wireless is a seperate company within verizon communications(yes it did merge with gte wireless operations later on and it was planned) verizon wireless is (mostly) non union subsideary soon(or was soon) to be spun off as a completely seperate corporate entity I believe its a"272 company" right now..ps please correct me " just a lurker "if any of this info is incorrect :bow :bow
Actually Verizon Wireless remains co-owned by Verizon Communications and Vodaphone. IIRC Voda owns 45% of the wireless and has 0% of the control ... and there are options for them to sell their interest in Verizon Wireless to Verizon Communications. Voda has threatened to excersize that option, and would really prefer that Verizon Wireless was GSM to fit in with Vodaphone's international offerings. That isn't going to happen. If Voda could swing the purchase of a major GSM carrier they probably would sell off their interest in Verizon Wireless.

The spin-off IPA was supposed to happen a couple of years ago but problems at the stock market let to it making more sense for Verizon to keep the companies combined (as much as they are). In any case, Verizon Communications will remain the major owner of Verizon Wireless.

JL

juan said:

I guess things got a bit confusing. Most posters were talking about how Verizon came into being. But all the talk about "Atlantic Bell" and then throwing the cellular company in made it confusing.

Geronimo said:
I guess things got a bit confusing. Most posters were talking about how Verizon came into being. But all the talk about "Atlantic Bell" and then throwing the cellular company in made it confusing.
It all happened at pretty much the same time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)