I Really Can't Stand Tressel Anymore

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
This guy is a great recruiter, but the worst in-game coach since Herm Edwards. It's so annoying to watch a guy who doesn't make the proper adjustments during the game.

Spare us the histrionics, Jim, waving off the field goal made you look silly in my book. Instead how about coming up with a game plan that doesn't include running the same plays on first and second down almost EVERY SERIES. It was monotonous, boring...and losing.

I've been giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, but our team always seems to make the big mistake, the big penalty, at the wrong time. From the ridiculous penalties on the second drive of the USC game where we were actually threatening to run away with the game, to the penalties tonight, it really seems like other teams are better coached than ours.

Not to mention that unbelievable timeout last year when Illinois was ready to punt the ball back to us with something like five minutes left in the game. Tressel calls timeout because his defense isn't ready to receive a punt, Illinois changes their mind during the timeout and goes for it, makes a first down, and we never get the ball back again. Awesome, Jim. Oh, and Maurice Wells looked like he never caught a kickoff in his life...how does that happen at home? How does that always happen to us?

It's difficult beating a team that goes into one of the most hostile environments in sports and makes no mistakes whatsoever. No turnovers, no penalties...their DB's actually turn around and look for the ball and everything.

Is this really the same coach who had Craig Krenzel throw deep on fourth and one late in both the Iowa and I think Purdue games when we were trailing, back in the national championship year? What happened to that guy? What happened to throwing on first down every once in a while just to keep the defense honest? Or doing something different than running Beanie Wells between the tackles non-stop with very little to show for it.

At least the nation is spared another national championship game that is over at the end of the first quarter because one coach is adjusting and one isn't.

Oh, and did you see the stat tonight? We're 103rd in the nation in red zone offense. Number 103. How many division one teams are there, like 109? And we're 103. Lovely. Mr. Imagination on offense will bring you that kind of stat.

And whoever here said Todd Boeckman would be playing by now lied.

Eh, I'm just aggravated. The sun will come up tomorrow, right?

Sandra

First of all, at least your Rangers pulled off a dramatic win over the Penguins, by tying the game with 8.1 seconds left and your sweetie prevailing in a shootout. (and the Islanders lost again)

I'd say it was glass half-full, Sandy.

As for Tressel, I agree with your 'how about coming up with a game plan that doesn't include running the same plays on first and second down almost EVERY SERIES. It was monotonous, boring...and losing line.' think running the same plays is a bit dull.

Remember, a few weeks back, Mike Leach went for it all on a fourth and long against Nebraska IN THEIR OWN TERRITORY!

Leach has the onions to risk it all on a fourth down.

Why can't more coaches BE A MAN AND 40 and take some risks?

Last edited:
Great post Sandra. I love the brutal honesty of a fan who knows what she's talking about. I get sick of hearing from people who only view their teams through rose colored glasses and just blame the refs when they lose.

Being too conservative can come back and haunt you.

Nick Saban, in the Bama game, went for it on fourth down and got a big TD.

Sandy, if I were you, I would be frustrated at Tressel- he needs to spice it up a later. Make some different plays, throw a bit more, and go for fourth down a few times!

And despite Tressel, the Buckeyes had a 6-3 lead in the 4th quarter with time expiring. This was before Terrelle Pryor fumbled away the ball on 3rd and short. I suppose the fumble was Tressel's fault too, huh? :rolleyes:

Sure the game plan seemed bland at face value, but let's not discount the defense that both teams played. This isn't the Big 12. Points aren't scored at will. Both secondaries had the receivers locked down. Both teams' defensive lines were stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB's. Plus, OSU had an inexperienced QB at the helm. Up until the fumble, the game plan WAS working.

And despite Tressel, the Buckeyes had a 6-3 lead in the 4th quarter with time expiring. This was before Terrelle Pryor fumbled away the ball on 3rd and short. I suppose the fumble was Tressel's fault too, huh? :rolleyes:

Sure the game plan seemed bland at face value, but let's not discount the defense that both teams played. This isn't the Big 12. Points aren't scored at will. Both secondaries had the receivers locked down. Both teams' defensive lines were stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB's. Plus, OSU had an inexperienced QB at the helm. Up until the fumble, the game plan WAS working.

It was working real well on putting me to sleep. Please bring that same game plan when you play MICHIGAN.:D (We need all the help we can get!)

You can take any one of my points and poke a hole in it. Of course there is more to any game than the coach, and since he won us a championship I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt as everything has crumbled around us the last couple of years and we've turned into a national joke.

But put everything together...the penalties at the worst times, the game plans that don't change when they're not working, the timeout against Illinois because his defense was confused, the fact that other teams seem to always step up to the challenge while our team whithers in the face of adversity...and Tressel is a far cry from some of the great coaches in college football today.

The offensive game plan WASN'T working before the fumble. They had barely moved the ball before the fumble. You make it sound like the fumble stopped our amazing offense that had been pounding the Penn State defense the whole game.

Tim Tebow was an 'inexperienced QB at the helm' of a team whose coach figured out how to use him properly to lethal effect...as a FRESHMAN. I know, I still have the mental scars to prove it after watching that game.

Pete Carroll has a pretty good track record with 'inexperienced QB's, as does Nick Saban, Mack Brown, and a whole bunch of other coaches. Great coaches don't need fans to give a litany of excuses after a loss. :rolleyes:

I'm a ridiculously die-hard Buckeye fan who lives in New Jersey, and maybe that's why I don't drink the Kool-aid and say 'Tressel is great, everything he does is great, nothing is his fault, yada yada yada'. Maybe that kind of hero worship works in Ohio, but not on the Jersey shore.

I'm sure you'll give me a lot of excuses why Tebow was able to do what he did while Tressel keeps Pryor under wraps (perhaps Pryor just isn't as good?), but that's the point. It's all excuses.

Spare me the excuses...give me a team that plays up to it's potential instead.

As you can tell, that pit in my stomach didn't go away overnight...

Sandra

Jets won today, so 2 out of 3 ain't bad, Sandy.

Ranger game was exciting, Jet game not so much, but glad for the victories.

The Ohio State loss, however, is like losing in the playoffs because it effectively knocks you out of the national title race, not that the writers would have allowed us back in anyway...but with one loss you can dream.

And more than the loss, it's the way they lost...the pattern that Tressel's teams are creating. And the fact that we see the same thing over and over and over again, and nothing changes with this guy.

And then you have fans who chime in and say 'yeah but this and yeah but that'. I'm sure there were 4,000 excuses two years ago why Tim Tebow was able to beat us...Ted Ginn got hurt, etc. And last year when LSU destroyed us, I'm sure there was a good reason why.

And of course we were told if Beanie Wells had played against USC the outcome could have been different. Yeah, his 55 yards on 22 carries may have changed everything.

It's OK, though, we'll beat Michigan again...yay. Like that's an accomplishment these days. Unless, of course, Tressel gets outcoached by Rodriguez.

Sandra

Tim Tebow was an 'inexperienced QB at the helm' of a team whose coach figured out how to use him properly to lethal effect...as a FRESHMAN. I know, I still have the mental scars to prove it after watching that game.

Pete Carroll has a pretty good track record with 'inexperienced QB's, as does Nick Saban, Mack Brown, and a whole bunch of other coaches. Great coaches don't need fans to give a litany of excuses after a loss. :rolleyes:
Sandra
Tebow also was NOT the starting QB, he came in as a change of pace guy and normally took the ball and ran with it.

Who's the inexperienced QB that Carrol is playing with ?
Palmer and Lienart all played plenty and NONE as a freshman.
Sanchez is a Junior.... He's been in the system for 3 years now.

Pryor is a TRUE freshman, he did not play that badly last night, he tried to make a play on the fumble and didn't hang on to the ball, he had a TD had he hung on to the ball.
The Kid is going to be very good next year.
He was very upset after the game, felt it was his game to win or lose and blamed himself for the loss .....
In reality the O Line should have been held responsible, as usual the failed to block anyone.

Jimbo

Tebow also was NOT the starting QB, he came in as a change of pace guy and normally took the ball and ran with it.

Who's the inexperienced QB that Carrol is playing with ?
Palmer and Lienart all played plenty and NONE as a freshman.
Sanchez is a Junior.... He's been in the system for 3 years now.

Pryor is a TRUE freshman, he did not play that badly last night, he tried to make a play on the fumble and didn't hang on to the ball, he had a TD had he hung on to the ball.
The Kid is going to be very good next year.
He was very upset after the game, felt it was his game to win or lose and blamed himself for the loss .....
In reality the O Line should have been held responsible, as usual the failed to block anyone.

Jimbo

Pryor did not play badly at all. Although it decided the outcome of the game, I cannot blame him for the fumble. He made a nice read, actually, and was going to pick up a first down and maybe more positive yards afterward. I suppose he could have held onto the football tighter, but that happens to the best of them.

Pryor is going to be fine.

Tressel, I'm not so sure. Here is another person picking one of my points and poking a hole in it. When only a few if these things were a problem, I was still a Tressel girl.

Now there are just too many negatives to go against the positives on his resume. I'm glad Tressel is with us, because we'll always be competitive with the teams he puts out on the field. We'll never be a Nebraska. But I guess I'm just going to have to get used to losing (sometimes badly) big games more often than not...

Or perhaps the Tressel of 2003 can make another appearance?

Sandra

Ranger game was exciting, Jet game not so much, but glad for the victories.

The Ohio State loss, however, is like losing in the playoffs because it effectively knocks you out of the national title race, not that the writers would have allowed us back in anyway...but with one loss you can dream.

And more than the loss, it's the way they lost...the pattern that Tressel's teams are creating. And the fact that we see the same thing over and over and over again, and nothing changes with this guy.

And then you have fans who chime in and say 'yeah but this and yeah but that'. I'm sure there were 4,000 excuses two years ago why Tim Tebow was able to beat us...Ted Ginn got hurt, etc. And last year when LSU destroyed us, I'm sure there was a good reason why.

And of course we were told if Beanie Wells had played against USC the outcome could have been different. Yeah, his 55 yards on 22 carries may have changed everything.

It's OK, though, we'll beat Michigan again...yay. Like that's an accomplishment these days. Unless, of course, Tressel gets outcoached by Rodriguez.

Sandra

Fat chance of that happening Sandra. (By the way, I agree with your assessment of Tressel, given the amount of talent he has there, your team is severely under-achieving). My problem with Rodriguez right now is a statement he made early on - "the spread is highly adaptable to different talents" Really? I haven't seen this. I understand he doesn't have his "guys", but it wasn't like the cupboard was empty. He hasn't adapted the spread to the talent that is here. Plain and simple. Fortunately, my nephew is getting married on the day of the game, so I won't have to watch what will surely be a thorough beat-down of MICHIGAN.

Fat chance of that happening Sandra. (By the way, I agree with your assessment of Tressel, given the amount of talent he has there, your team is severely under-achieving). My problem with Rodriguez right now is a statement he made early on - "the spread is highly adaptable to different talents" Really? I haven't seen this. I understand he doesn't have his "guys", but it wasn't like the cupboard was empty. He hasn't adapted the spread to the talent that is here. Plain and simple. Fortunately, my nephew is getting married on the day of the game, so I won't have to watch what will surely be a thorough beat-down of MICHIGAN.

What kind of nephew from Michigan (I assume) gets married on November 22nd?!

Doesn't he realize that he is going to have to celebrate his anniversary every year on that SIGNIFICANT day?! What was he thinking?! :D

And for the record, I made sure no such significant sporting event occurred on the day my wife and I chose for our wedding day. We even had the wedding on the Browns bye weekend in '06! :D

I personally see Michigan getting killed on the 22nd.

And to think, the last time they came to Columbus, they actually were GOOD.

Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong for Rich-Rod:

First loss ever to a MAC team

First loss to Penn State in 12 years

First loss to Michigan State in 7 years

At this rate, they'll lose in Minnesota for the first time since 1976.

What kind of nephew from Michigan (I assume) gets married on November 22nd?!

Doesn't he realize that he is going to have to celebrate his anniversary every year on that SIGNIFICANT day?! What was he thinking?! :D

And for the record, I made sure no such significant sporting event occurred on the day my wife and I chose for our wedding day. We even had the wedding on the Browns bye weekend in '06! :D

The kind that went to MSU. I got married on deer hunting's "opening day" (gun season, Nov. 15th) just so I wouldn't forget our anniversary.:D I haven't hunted in years anyhow, and when I did last, it was with a bow. Rifle season just wasn't a challenge anymore.

I personally see Michigan getting killed on the 22nd.

And to think, the last time they came to Columbus, they actually were GOOD.

Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong for Rich-Rod:

First loss ever to a MAC team

First loss to Penn State in 12 years

First loss to Michigan State in 7 years

At this rate, they'll lose in Minnesota for the first time since 1976.

Make that 2 losses to MAC teams, Miami, and Toledo. 2-10 is looking very realistic.

It was working real well on putting me to sleep. Please bring that same game plan when you play MICHIGAN.:D (We need all the help we can get!)

rotfl.gif
Tressel, the champion of Big Snooze football! Another reason why tOSU is disliked so much by those without scarlet and grey glasses - slow, boring, winning football, that doesn't quite cut it in big games, at least in the last two years anyway.

But don't fret Bucknuts. Listen to Jimbo. You have a QB now that wants to run and gun that team to an NC and drag Tressel's arse in the present. Get one or two more players with speed around him, and it will happen. :up :)

Tressel, the champion of Big Snooze football! Another reason why tOSU is disliked so much by those without scarlet and grey glasses - slow, boring, winning football, that doesn't quite cut it in big games

That's what I love about his polar opposite, Mike Leach- the champion of fast, high-octane football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts