I started playing with my new 5' mesh last night

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad to hear you are going to recieve your new Pansat Shawn. I would dispute the shipping charges, if you paid for expedited that is how it should have been shipped.

Sorry to hear of your problems Shawn, but I have made it a point to never buy anything from Ebay. Wait, I did buy one thing but that was from Sadoun so I knew I would not have a problem. I just do not trust these guy's. I am sure there are some honest folks who sell there, but I just don't want to take the chance.

Im careful about ebay sellers, thats why I look at the longevity of the seller and generaly wont buy from a seller that has less than 100 feed backs and if theres more than 2 negative I wont deal with them.

Van said:
Im careful about ebay sellers, thats why I look at the longevity of the seller and generaly wont buy from a seller that has less than 100 feed backs and if theres more than 2 negative I wont deal with them.

Needless to say that the seller that Shawn bought from had over 5k feedbacks.

wow, I had dealt with a comp parts seller who had a huge amount to, came back a few months later and they were no longer registered. Sounds like the guy shawn was dealing with lost his way so to speak.

Shawn95GT said:
Hehe - I had the neighbor from behind my house come by and respectfully ask if I can do something about making the dish less of an eye-sore QUOTE]

Geez what would they say if you put up a 10' ?

It's all about the placement. The pole on this one is only like 4' from the shared wall. I'm not too concerned about it. I'm going to ask how it looks now that I chopped the pole down. It's only the top 18" or so of the dish that they can see now where-as before they were looking at nearly all of it.

Speaking of which - I was able to saw three foot off of the cement-filled pole without too much issue. I was expecting it to be a pain but the sawz-all reins supreme :cool:.

I put the dish up and got the actuator on it. I originally set it up so that the 'extending' part was on the West side of the dish. I adjusted the collar on the actuator so that fully retracted was a tad past where I needed travel wise. Upon extending the arm I found that the arm would bind with the mount at about 85w.

This didn't sit well with me.

I flipped everything to the East side and now it's a lot better. I need to see if it's going far enoguh East. I think it needs to go just a little bit further East.

Is adjusting the actuator just play with it until you get proper range of motion or is there some science to it? hehe

Oh yeah, when I hit 'left' on the VBOX, the actuator retracts and the dish goes East - is this correct? I know it's easy to fix if not. While I was playing with the actuator I had one of the wires come loose which scared the crap out of me. I thought I somehow got the actuator stuck.

Freecycle is my friend. I got an email from a woman after I placed a wanted add on Freecycle. It was like 25 miles away BUT it was a good fit in my trailer. She said she use to get a package with it in the late 90s.

CbandLover said:
Thanks for continuing the updates on your project. I really find this one interesting.
"Now if I could just find one of those myself..........." :)

Edit.... BTW, Ken, where did you get your 5ft mesh? Did you just get lucky and find it, or have you had it for a long time?

ken2400 said:
Freecycle is my friend. I got an email from a woman after I placed a wanted add on Freecycle. It was like 25 miles away BUT it was a good fit in my trailer. She said she use to get a package with it in the late 90s.
I tried freecycle. The group here (Phoenix) is nuts.

I posted a want ad (after properly offering some stuff which was promptly gobbled up) and I got a half dozen offers to sell me dishes. Some were 18" DBS dishes - lol.

Pro-96 gave me good deal on this mesh - I'm pretty happy with it. I'm pretty sure that even after driving to LA to pick-up the dish, buying an actuator / VBOX etc i'm still money ahead vs buying a 1.2m offset dish and a HH120 motor for it. I'm keeping a running total :). A 1.2M dish alone is around $300 to my door :eek: .

I was in MN is August... I was SEROUOSLY concidering a 800mi side trip to pickup a 1.2M dish - hehe.

FWIW, I checked the instructions (hehe read the destructions AFTER you set it up - lol), and 'left' is supposed to be East. Looks like I got something right :).

I was suprised the dish moved at all on the first try after hooking it all up.

5'ft paraclypse solid need help

ken2400 said:
Nice :) I have a 5' mess also. Have not tried digital yet. Analog was good on it.

Have fun
Hello I am jackpeas In Chciago,ILL.I got a 5' ft dish and need your help with the centering of the scalar ring.Its has 3 leggs.I am using a c/ku feedhorn on it.Focal point is 23.10 and f/d is 0.39.Its on a base.I amtring to find 6 oclock,12 oclock,9,3 oclock. Help with any tips hints.You can YIM me,msn me,skype me jackpeas.Thank you Ken 2400 My southmost sat is amc3 or k3@87deg.

I got the sg2100 to

Shawn95GT said:
I was thinking the same but the way the mount is the biggest pole you could fit it on would be 2 1/2". This polar mount mounts to the pole a LOT like a SG2100 does. I'm betting that this mount would be VERY nice for the 120cm dish guys.

The 2" schedule 40 has an OD of 2 3/8", just like the fence pole I have it hanging on now. I figure the heavy wall pipe filled with cement will be about as good as I can easily do for this dish. I'm shooting for 4' in the gound and 6' above.

Shawn
I am jackpeas In Chicago,ILL. I am useding a 2"sch40 galv pipe and a 90 % electric pipe to a 2" flange.Its a 2"pipe bent to A 90%.I put a 2'' flang on it.And hang this of 2''x10'ft galv pipe by ublots.I will connect my sg2100 of this.But I can't get a video on my 30" hotdish.You can YIM me,msn me,skype me jackpeas Thanks

Shawn, I found an identical dish in a scrap bin, relpaced some mesh and refurbished it as best I could, painted it black. Its been working well, lately Ive been using it for Ku. Its mounted on an H to H drive, on a 2.5" pole. Some pics of it in the mpeg section. Alec

Alec said:
Shawn, I found an identical dish in a scrap bin, relpaced some mesh and refurbished it as best I could, painted it black. Its been working well, lately Ive been using it for Ku. Its mounted on an H to H drive, on a 2.5" pole. Some pics of it in the mpeg section. Alec
Hehe - I thought this dish looked familiar :). If I can get some C-band DVB I'll be a happy camper!

Jackpeas - I got your PM and will crunch some numbers.

Shawn

5'ft paraclypse solid how do you find the center?

Hello and thanks for the reply.My pansat 3500 came but I was not home.So it suppose to come today.I will connect this to my 30'' hotdish and sg2100 motor drive.I tried to put my primestar on my sg2100/it was to heavy.Someone gave me this dish(5'ft paraclypse) and I am giving to someone else.I have spent a little bit of money to try to set it up.1/2''electric pipes and pipe bender,nuts and bolts,flat stocks,drill bits.This kind of stuff ant cheape.Now back to the 30'' and sg2100,never got a video on this one.So I am tring to set it up by it self.To make sure it work.I got dishnetwork lnb,universal lnb,10750 std or linera lnb.I used my st7700 fta receiver and my canary to find the sats. Thanks you very much Shawn

As some of you may have guessed, the Pansat came today.

I had some family business to take care of after work so I didn't get to play with the reciever until kind of late.

It's embarrasing to tell this... but I swung the dish around for better than half an hour and almost called it a night. I laughed out loud when I looked down and noticed that I hadn't connected the LNB to the VBOX. - OOPS!

I hooked it up and shortly after I started seeing the signal meter hop around. Of course I had no clue what sat I was on so I did a blind scan.... looks like G1R.

Of course the polar mount isn't tracking for crap yet so this is a small victory :). I want to see something on the TV tonight! I was hoping for the California channel - lol.

Everything so far is coming uo scrambled but this is more than I EVER saw with my small dish.

My first impression of the Pansat.... wow, I can see why people love the Coolsat :).

I spoke too soon...

Turns out my ASC421 seems to switch H/V backwards! I clocked so that it was right and as it turns out I'm on Galaxy13 / Horizons 1 at 127W.

BBC World and Golf channel Japan are coming in loud and clear :).

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I spoke too soon...

Turns out my ASC421 seems to switch H/V backwards! I clocked so that it was right and as it turns out I'm on Galaxy13 / Horizons 1 at 127W.

BBC World and Golf channel Japan are coming in loud and clear :).

Shawn

Good job Shawn, try 123w trans. 3920 V see what pops :D

pro-96 said:
Good job Shawn, try 123w trans. 3920 V see what pops :D
Yeah the kids will love it :). I'm actually changing back to Qwest VDSL so they'll have that one anyways but hey E & W feeds can't hurt :).

If I can get this mount tracking the arc I'll be REALLY happy.

I'm still waiting on the 8115 (my order got messed up, Sat ENG sent it out yesterday I think) so i'm just using the ASC421 for now.

This Pansat takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to scan as compared to the Coolsat. It was much quicker/easier to scan for feeds on the Coolsat. I'm sure I'll get used to the Pansat though.

I still need to string the ribbon cable into the house so I've got time to get the arc dialed in. One thing is for sure... the actuator & polar mount flat out flys between sats as compared to the SG2100.

Gettng to watch DVB on C-Band tonight for the first time was well worth the 'price of admission'. I can't wait until I've got it wired up in the entertainment center in the house and I can fire up the analog reciever as well!

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Shawn95GT said:
Yeah the kids will love it :). I'm actually changing back to Qwest VDSL so they'll have that one anyways but hey E & W feeds can't hurt :).

If I can get this mount tracking the arc I'll be REALLY happy.

I'm still waiting on the 8115 (my order got messed up, Sat ENG sent it out yesterday I think) so i'm just using the ASC421 for now.

This Pansat takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to scan as compared to the Coolsat. It was much quicker/easier to scan for feeds on the Coolsat. I'm sure I'll get used to the Pansat though.

I still need to string the ribbon cable into the house so I've got time to get the arc dialed in. One thing is for sure... the actuator & polar mount flat out flys between sats as compared to the SG2100.

Gettng to watch DVB on C-Band tonight for the first time was well worth the 'price of admission'. I can't wait until I've got it wired up in the entertainment center in the house and I can fire up the analog reciever as well!

I'll get some pics tomorrow.
Shawn,
Glad to hear your project is moving right along. Hitting the arc isnt that hard with a polar mount, it just takes a little patience.

While the Pansat takes a while to scan, it will control your polarotor, and the coolsat cant do that ;-) Also the full ac-3 support is nice, quite a bit of stuff pops up on c band that is ac-3.

Welcome to the c band club, i cant wait to see what your results are when you have the whole arc dialed in. By the way, what kind of s.q. are you getting on the bbc?

If you would like i can loan you a videocipher module so that you can see if you are getting enough signal to pick up the sub channels, drop me a pm if interested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)