I Stayed Home Sick Today So.....

Seawaves said:
If I had any DVD's (or could rent) that looked as good as the best channel HD on Voom or DTV, then I'd only buy and rent DVD's. DVD's always have great sound but the PQ sure is a letdown after you watch some decent HD.

Seawaves,

I am glad we agree on this...

Technut said:
what did u switch too ?

Yeah. It was a combination of gripy wife, constant reboot of receiver, and rain fade on a cloudy day.

She couldn't justify, and quite frankly I couldn't either from the problems we had, the cost of Voom added to the cost of Directv.

I'm not trying to troll here by any means.

Rca

Technut said:
maybe a tuner problem any suggestions on how to peak for this tv?
(RCA 52" D52W20)
comp or DVI??
I'm running a RCA D52W17E on DVI. Had problems with the off set pic, went into service menu and moved it and changed some the the color settings that you can't change from regular menu. Pic is sharp and clear on DVI

im not complaining.. VOOM is alot better than my directv PQ, and being the lazy F%#@ that I'am, renting DVD's constantly is out of the question,
But if I remember correctly from the infocommercial I saw wasnt VOOM supposed to be someting like 12X better than DVD quality.??

rgarbonzo said:
I'm running a RCA D52W17E on DVI. Had problems with the off set pic, went into service menu and moved it and changed some the the color settings that you can't change from regular menu. Pic is sharp and clear on DVI

I would think that TV is just about identical to the D52W20 that Technut and I have.

What all did you do to tweak yours? Which settings?

Ok. So, I moved things around and was able to get my LCD 800x600 projector to put up a 1080i image at 8 pixels/inch. (DarrelP is running 13.3) Then, standing at arms length from the screen, I am able to see some of what DarrelP is complaining about on his much better equipment. On Rave, where there was not much change in the picture, the screen pattern on a microphone looked stable and clear. There is some shimmer to it as the microphone scrolled across the screen, but not much. It was definately at the per pixel level. Switched to the car auction on Auction. There, the grill on a car produced a screen affect that covered 2/3rds of the screen. That had a constant fluid motion to it, even when I stepped back. This was the anti-aliasing averaging wavering back and forth between light and dark. Worst case definately showed bad.
Equator:Eye over France looked fine and clean close up and at a reasonable viewing distance.
DVD Test: Pirates of the Carribean had definate mosquito noise at my 8 pixels/inch. Probably 10% of the screen.

So, it appears that I am getting a better subjective result with lower quality equipment that is anti-aliasing/averaging out the mosquito noise that others see in the Voom signal. Since I run at a normal 20 pixels/inch, I am happy with my picture.

Impatient said:
Ok. Obvious question: Are you driving the projector at 720p or 1080i and letting the projector do the scalling? On my (little) Nec LT81, driving at 800x600 produces a noticebly better picture than feeding it 1024x768 and letting it scale (computer DVD src). Do you see a noticeable difference in the two scalers? Voom STB vs projector? Could it be Voom's STB is generating the noise as it downconverts? IIRC, Voom is transmitting 1080i for almost everything. It would be an interesting data point if the most vocal people about mosquito noise were running 720p.

Tonight, I am going to go do a little rearranging with my mediocre equipment so I can get the same magnification that you have. Currently I am only showing a 48" screen and overdriving my projector to do it. It is not rated for 1080i in, but it will take it 95% of the time. One of my OTAs looses video sync and the bottom 1/3 of the screen cascades right. Since it is the bible thumper channel, I don't miss it.

I agree Voom needs to give us more bandwidth per channel. I am just curious as to what hardware combinations show/hide their imperfections the most.

I run my Voom stb on Native so the pj switches to scale whatever resolution the box is feeding it. I found that by letting the pj do the scaling, not only do I get a better picture on SD, but I can also manipulate the image. If I leave it at 720p or 1080i, the image gets squeezed out to fill the screen and everyone looks fat and I have no control over an HD image with my pj. I normally run a SD signal at Normal, which displays a full height 4:3 image with black sidebars or Fox 480P or a DVD I set to Full and it fills the screen normally in widescreen. If an SD image looks really bad, I can put the pj in Pass through mode and view a smaller 1:1 pixel mapping image on the screen. This makes any SD look much better.

I get ZERO mosquito noise from any source other than Voom, so it's not an inherent problem with my equipment or the way it is setup. I view all of my sources through component, so the only variable is the Voom stb. I've tried setting it to 720p, 1080i and Native and it does not matter which box does the scaling or what the native resolution of the source material is.

I'm very surprised you did not see any noise on the Over show, they are the worst, especially with rooftops.

All in all, I am happy with Voom, don't get me wrong guys. I will remain vocal about the noise issues until they are resolved. Trust me, once Voom irons out these issues, you will thank us "whiners" because the picture is going to POP out of your screen and you are going to be very happy when that day comes. ;)

Rca

Neutron said:
I would think that TV is just about identical to the D52W20 that Technut and I have.

What all did you do to tweak yours? Which settings?
I adjusted a lot of stuff. Oe thing at a time and if all else fails you can reset the settings to default and try again. Not only do you need to move the pic but you have to adjust it into the frame as well. Try adjusting contrast and sharpness, two big things if not adjusted properly. Check everything in the service menu and adjust to your liking. I would be more specific but I adjusted mine 2 months ago when I first got Voom and haven't looked back. Just make sure it's on DVI (or the appropriate Voom input) and things should go fine

DarrellP said:
I get ZERO mosquito noise from any source other than Voom, so it's not an inherent problem with my equipment or the way it is setup.

Just an FYI thread from AVS in case you have not read it. The thread.

DarrellP - you should get rid of VOOM

All you do is complain, bitch, and moan.

Drop the service if you don't like it.

I got no problem with folks who think there is too much mosquito noise on Equator, because there is. But, for there to actually be a discusion on whether DVD looks better than the PQ of HD on Voom, is just ridiculous!

You and Technut - If you think that a DVD looks better than Vooms HD, you should drop the service and sign up for Netflix. I think you'd enjoy that much more.

DarrellP -your screen is so big. are you trying to compensate for something? :shh

FrankJo said:

I got no problem with folks who think there is too much mosquito noise on Equator, because there is. But, for there to actually be a discusion on whether DVD looks better than the PQ of HD on Voom, is just ridiculous!

You and Technut - If you think that a DVD looks better than Vooms HD, you should drop the service and sign up for Netflix. I think you'd enjoy that much more.

DarrellP -your screen is so big. are you trying to compensate for something? :shh

Did u not see my earlier post..
:rolleyes:
im not complaining.. VOOM is alot better than my directv PQ, and being the lazy F%#@ that I'am, renting DVD's constantly is out of the question,
But if I remember correctly from the infocommercial I saw wasnt VOOM supposed to be someting like 12X better than DVD quality.??

FrankJo said:

Apparently you read posts too quickly, I NEVER said a DVD looks better than VOOM HD. Please point me to that quote. What I was comparing was the "apparent quality" of DVD vs VOOM HD when taking into account the resolution of both sources. DVD is only what? 740 x 480? or so? HD is 1920 x 1080? When a good DVD looks almost as good as some Voom channels, there is something sadly lacking on their end. Can you say B-A-N-D-W-I-D-T-H?

I do NOT hate VOOM, I deperately hope for them to succeed, but I will not sit around, drink tea and look through rose colored glasses and sit back thinking everything is cool and great, IT'S NOT! It's getting better though and only has room for improvement.

Regarding the screen size, you may be onto something there. ;) Please don't blow my cover. :p

In defense of DarrellP, yeah he does tend to be a bit more vocal than others here but I think it's fair to say that because of the size of his picture, any PQ problems are going to be more apparent to him. What may be minuscule to many of us is multiplied several times to him. Perhaps it the cost of having a nice big system like that or perhaps the rest of us should be happy that he sees problems that have yet to become apparent to many of us.

By the way DarrellP, I've been meaning to ask... Do you know how big can you go picture wise with HD before you start to see PQ degradation due to resolution limitations? I was going to try to figure that out the other day but got preoccupied with other stuff.

As long as you maintain a ratio of 1.5 screenwidths back to view, there should never be any degradation. What happens is you lose light output and will ultimately lose contrast, brightness, etc before you get loss of quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts