I think a salesman is fibbing!

MVPinBoynton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
Four years ago I left DirecTV because they wouldn't upgrade my DVR, unless I paid for the whole thing. I have been on Comcast and the service has been OK. I just got a new 4K TV and thoroughly enjoying it. I was at BestBuy, where I bought the TV and the ATT salesman was giving me the Dtv pitch. The deal sounded very good, at least for the first year. I told him that after the first year, it would be way higher than Comcast. He told me that I just needed to call them after the first year and they would keep my rate the same as the first for the second year if I had paid my monthly bill on time. I that sounded untrue, based on the complaints I have read and heard about regarding the increases after year 1. I think I know the answer, but is there any truth to what he told me? If there is, I will go back to Dtv, but I don't think it was the truth.

Yeah you could call after your rates go up, threaten to cancel and they may extend the discount into the second year.

I have seen it happen, but it’s not in writing so it’s not guaranteed.

The fact of the matter your price will go up after 12 months, and this is nothing more than an attempt to trick you into signing up.

It’s very hard right now to sell Directv. Nobody I know is properly disclosing the fact that the promotional rate is only good for 12 months.

The second your honest with anyone who has halfway decent credit, you loose the sale when you tell the truth.

Was the salesman fibbing?

We’re his lips moving?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

If you can get it in writing that the price is guaranteed for 2 years you can take it to Directv or dish and they will honor the price.

I had a few agents do it over the years and the account got escalated. I had to write a check for the difference every time

The only thing they should give you in writing is the pre printed sales materials

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I agree about the preprinted only. That is why I cancelled the deal. Salesman try to sell.

The sad truth is that you can’t sell Directv these days without being dishonest.

There is too big of a difference between promotional and rack rates now that when people realize their bill is going up $40-$60 in the second year, with a 2 year contract they think twice.

If it was $20, it wouldn’t be such as big of a deal.

I ran across one the other day who was considering Directv or Comcast.

The lady tried telling me Directv would not go up, and I had to walk her through the website to show her over 2 years Comcast was the better deal.

Btw, I was selling her Comcast, NOT Directv.

My neighbor had actually gotten a two year deal at a very good rate two years ago. Apparently, they had a very attractive promo going on. It ends next month, so I am interested in seeing what happens to his deal. When my salesman told me that DTV doesn't do two year deals, I showed him a photo of the invoice with the details on it. He was surprised. It is a shame they can't just come up with an honest reasonable two year rate, because I would like to go back to DTV.

Yeah you could call after your rates go up, threaten to cancel and they may extend the discount into the second year.

I have seen it happen, but it’s not in writing so it’s not guaranteed.

The fact of the matter your price will go up after 12 months, and this is nothing more than an attempt to trick you into signing up.

It’s very hard right now to sell Directv. Nobody I know is properly disclosing the fact that the promotional rate is only good for 12 months.

The second your honest with anyone who has halfway decent credit, you loose the sale when you tell the truth.

If you can get it in writing that the price is guaranteed for 2 years you can take it to Directv or dish and they will honor the price.

I had a few agents do it over the years and the account got escalated. I had to write a check for the difference every time

The only thing they should give you in writing is the pre printed sales materials

The sad truth is that you can’t sell Directv these days without being dishonest.

There is too big of a difference between promotional and rack rates now that when people realize their bill is going up $40-$60 in the second year, with a 2 year contract they think twice.

If it was $20, it wouldn’t be such as big of a deal.

I ran across one the other day who was considering Directv or Comcast.

The lady tried telling me Directv would not go up, and I had to walk her through the website to show her over 2 years Comcast was the better deal.

Btw, I was selling her Comcast, NOT Directv.

My thinking is that this new streaming flagship TV service AT&T TV will come with a standard everyday price and no contract. (Or maybe it has a short up-front commitment like 3 months in order to score the free AT&T TV streaming box that might be required for the service.) The price you pay the first month is the price it'll be every month going forward (until the price inevitably creeps up in future years due to inflation). No games, no BS. Maybe there's a free 7-day initial trial but that's it.

I think that DirecTV satellite will switch over at the same time to exclusively offering new customers the same set of channel packages as those offered under AT&T TV (e.g. Select, Plus, Max, and various add-on Extra Packs). My advice (and it sounds like yours too) would be for DirecTV to also switch to some kind of standard pricing. I'm sure they'll still have to do a 2-year contract, at least if the customer requires a free pro install, but I think it would be better business to not do any discount on the first year of service OR to do what DISH does and have some kind of modest discount the first year (maybe $10-20 off, depending on package) before going up to the regular price the second year. But having the price nearly double in the second year just doesn't make sense any more to me. Customers just see it as a bait-and-switch pricing trick.

those sales people in best buy, walmart, ect can be sketchy
there are tons of complaints about them on the directv forums

if you do sign up, take whatever they say with a grain of salt.
then read your order confirmation carefully, its what you are actually agreeing to.

those sales people in best buy, walmart, ect can be sketchy
there are tons of complaints about them on the directv forums

if you do sign up, take whatever they say with a grain of salt.
then read your order confirmation carefully, its what you are actually agreeing to.

Exactly

When you aren’t making any money and are desperate to make a sale, people will say anything. Considering most of these sales people know they won’t be there very much longer and won’t be around for the back lash when the customers realize they where lied to

Four years ago I left DirecTV because they wouldn't upgrade my DVR, unless I paid for the whole thing. I have been on Comcast and the service has been OK. I just got a new 4K TV and thoroughly enjoying it. I was at BestBuy, where I bought the TV and the ATT salesman was giving me the Dtv pitch. The deal sounded very good, at least for the first year. I told him that after the first year, it would be way higher than Comcast. He told me that I just needed to call them after the first year and they would keep my rate the same as the first for the second year if I had paid my monthly bill on time. I that sounded untrue, based on the complaints I have read and heard about regarding the increases after year 1. I think I know the answer, but is there any truth to what he told me? If there is, I will go back to Dtv, but I don't think it was the truth.

I worked for DirecTV up to about a month ago and customers would call in all the time after being told this bs then they’d get mad at us agents when we told them it wasn’t true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts