i think dish finally made a smart move

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
let's hope they don't blow it. buying the voom satellite gives you extra space. use this space wisely by adding more hd content and you might gain some subs back. :D

Stargazer,

Yes, but the Voom subscriber count is ~ .5% of E*'s subscriber base. It is also probably equal to the base monthly churn at either E* or D*.

It isn't like Voom is/was a serious competitor to either of the big boys and as such, I don't think that regulatory approval is going to be an issue.

Cheers,

It's not the subs, it's the satellite space. This is a super cheap way to get capacity on a new bird. It's a no-brainer for E*.

I'm also moving this to the regular forum...

I think it was a wise move by Dish as well, they thing that concerns me is they do not have plans for the satellite or transponders which they will be aquiring.

If I were Charlie, I would shuffle some stuff around off of 61.5 and 148 which is there now to other spots such as SuperDish locations. I would then uplink a bunch of new HD Channels in MPEG2 Format to both 61.5 and 148.

They could uplink over 24 HD Channels in MPEG2 format which would give Dish a change to let DirecTV be the MPEG4 gunnea pig while Dish sat back and waited for the second generation MPEG2 chips to come out.

Thats what I would do. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
They could uplink over 24 HD Channels in MPEG2 format which would give Dish a change to let DirecTV be the MPEG4 gunnea pig while Dish sat back and waited for the second generation MPEG2 chips to come out.

I like your thinking to a certin extent, but there aren't 24 HD channels worth wasting bandwidth on. If you could give me the locals that would be great, but that's a whole other ball of wax. I agree with Charlie when I hear there is ver little compelling HD content available to be added. Aside from Universal HD, I can't think of anyting else I'd want. I'll take ESPN2, but I'll never watch it, except the occasional baseball game. I'll take NFL HD if that exists. What else is there?

You could add the following
CinemaxHD
The Movie Channel HD
Starz HD
Encore HD
Universal HD
ESPN HD
NBC HD
FOX HD
ABC HD

Plus lots of room for future growth, plus on the 148 Satellite they can carry the West Coast feeds of the HD channels instead of the East Coast versions.

Scott Greczkowski said:

How about adding FOX HD in time for the Super Bowl? Go Titans!!! Damn, hate those losing seasons...

There are but none of them broadcast 24/7 it would be easier to setup 2 sports HD channels and insert the programming then have dedicated channels to them.

Scott Greczkowski said:
FOX HD should be up for the SuperBowl (but only for the SuperBowl) and only for FOX O&O areas.

Scott, where I live I qualify for all Distant Networks and CBS HD (Not being able to get any of them over the air.). Would I qualify for the Super Bowl transmission?

splino said:
Scott, where I live I qualify for all Distant Networks and CBS HD (Not being able to get any of them over the air.). Would I qualify for the Super Bowl transmission?

Here is a list of FOX O&O areas. If you do not live in one of these DMAs you will not be eligible to receive the broadcast from Dish.

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
Dallas
Washington, DC
Atlanta*
Detroit*
Houston
Tampa
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Phoenix
Denver
Orlando
St. Louis
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Birmingham
Memphis
Greensboro
Austin
Gainesville

NightRyder

Scott Greczkowski said:
There are (RSNs broadcasting in HD) but none of them broadcast 24/7 it would be easier to setup 2 sports HD channels and insert the programming then have dedicated channels to them.

I totally agree with this. Scott, make this happen.

:yes

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think it was a wise move by Dish as well, they thing that concerns me is they do not have plans for the satellite or transponders which they will be aquiring.

If I were Charlie, I would shuffle some stuff around off of 61.5 and 148 which is there now to other spots such as SuperDish locations. I would then uplink a bunch of new HD Channels in MPEG2 Format to both 61.5 and 148.

if they did do this, i just might rejoin dish. i am having a hard time deceiding if i should sell my dish equipment now or hold on to it.

I also agree that this would be a good plan. Moving the 148 and 61.5 material to Superdish allows compliance with the Single dish issue for the Locals.

Next, HD customers would need their second dish, but many already do for the 148 or 61.5 existing HD content not mirrored to the core.

Heck, lets modify the statement partially and have 119/110 HD content also move to the wings. Internationals and locals on 121 and 105, core on 110/119.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There are but none of them broadcast 24/7 it would be easier to setup 2 sports HD channels and insert the programming then have dedicated channels to them.

That's yet another thing D* has started to do as soon as Sunday Ticket was over.

On Channel 96 they've been carrying the HD feeds for fox owned FSNs (probably because of the fox relation)

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts