I think I messed up a DSR 922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pittsville

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
38N 75W
I did the factory reset and now there are only 3 satellites in it.

I was trying to use it on Ku band with my FTA dish. I couldn't figure out how to make it receive anything and I thought the reset might help. I went into the menus and I think everything was set correctly. I tried to manual tune but that didn't work.

Now I think the only way to make it work is to connect it to a C band antenna for the 2am download? Do I have to subscribe to something in order to get the receiver to update? I was planning to do that when I install the big dish, but I'm wondering if I can receive anything at all with the 922 set back to factory settings?

Does the 922 switch itself from analog to digital? I couldn't find any way to do it.

Thanks. I was using similar guides today but the link you sent is better.

I don't have the G1 satellite on the list of satellites anymore. It only has B6, K1, and A2. I'm thinking the only way to remap it is with the C band.

I think I needed to read more before I started trying to use it. I thought it would work for digital FTA channels but from what I've been reading, it doesn't?

Pittsville,

Find G1, TP 3. Make sure the green DC light is on, unplug the unit for about 2 minutes, plug it back in and do not touch it for about 20 minutes. That should reset all of the satellite tiles. Now all you have to do is find them. This will work, I know from experience.

Once you get everything set back up, you will realize that doing a factory reset is the last resort. The last one I did, I later found out I didn't have to do it. Wasted a wole lot of time for nothing.

Have fun. :)

Jim

UPDATE:

I don't have the G1 satellite on the list of satellites anymore.

You have to manually search for it. Hit option 6,4,4, click on K1 and the screen should have different options, arrow to the second one down from the top, this will manually move the dish. You now have to figure out which arrow moves the dish east and west. When you find that out you are ready to beging searching for the satellites. You are now on K1, so that tells you that the dish must go to the west to find G1. Classic Arts is on TP 5, Horizontal, set the TP number to 5 and go for it. You might have to adjust the skew. When you find G1, do as I said in the above post. Once you have all of the tiles loaded, this is the procedure you will use to find the other satellites. DO NO USE A2. It will mess you up big time.

Last edited:
I thought it would work for digital FTA channels
A 4DTV receiver does not do DVB signals, only Analog and DCII.
What channels were you looking at?
You need to "Slave" an FTA DVB Receiver to the 4DTV.

I tried to program something from G10 or whatever it's called now 123W. I looked up the frequency for some of the FTA channels, subracted 10750 from that and and tried to use the manual tune function. But now I realize that this would not work.

I have the 922 connected to the IF out on my Mercury II. Originally I was putting the coax right into the 922, but I wanted to try different satellites so I connected it to the FTA receiver so I could move the dish and change the polarity with it.

I guess now what I have to do is try to find an analog K band signal. I did some reception with an old Pansat that I got from a yard sale. A lot of guys on here helped me with that. I remember there was a test card channel on one satellite, and they told me that the weekends were the best time to look for analog because of sports feeds. The Pansat had a tuning dial on it so that made it a lot easier to hunt for analog.

I think what I will try now is to check lyngsat for an analog channel, point the dish at it, and give manual tuning another try. I'm thinking the 922 won't know what satellite its on and I can tune something on one of the satellites it has left after I "fixed" it, as long as everything is set right.

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I'm getting an idea of some of the things I did wrong.

No C band dish yet. I'm only connected to my existing FTA dish. I do have a 10' dish waiting to be set up but the cost of a piece of pipe and other things have delayed to start of construction; now I have a new incentive to do that.

The seller was kind enough to throw in his ring and feedhorn with a Gardiner 35, a Norsat 2707A and a wasp nest in it. I hope I wasn't bidding against another Satelliteguy.:D

I don't know why I thought the 922 would work on Ku band like a regular FTA receiver but I know now that it won't. It looks like it really wants to be a C band receiver. I guess it has to be, which is OK because I didn't have a way to move the dish when I build it. I had been hoping to find an old receiver in the recycle bin at the landfill. Now that I bought one I will probably find one or two at the dump.

I've been reading about the battery change issue. Do you know if the entire receiver stops working if the battery goes dead or does it only affect the DCII?

There used to be a "4DTV" Ku Sat, but no more, all C Band now.

I've been reading about the battery change issue......
If the battery goes dead, it becomes a "Dish Mover", not even Free Channels will work.
Click "Options" then "6" then "5", the first or second line should match the number on the back.
If not, call NPS (callnps.com for phone number) and have them check the number.

Do you have the receiver set on KU band lnb only? Options,6,4,2,2. If it is change it to c and ku and then see if g1 becomes available to program.

kbghdg and Lak7, thanks for the additional information. I switched to C and Ku LNB's and it brought the G1 and a lot of other satellites back, but since I don't have the big dish yet I am sort of at a temporary halt.

And then I didn't realize that the DSR922 doesn't do the DVB. That was a costly misconception on my part. But, I like some of the small programming offerings so when I get the big dish set up I will subscribe to one of them. I looked at lyngsat and there aren't many analog C band signals up there and I imagine the number is getting smaller every day.

In the meantime I can take the wasp nests out of the feedhorn and test the servo to see if it moves. The guy also sent a new servo with it. Maybe that means the old one doesn't work?

Thanks for all of your help. I think I am on the right track now. Is there any kind of testing I can do by connecting the C band LNB to the receiver without having it mounted on the dish?

I had a C band dish hanging on an engine hoist. I think I could get a flicker of signal, but the wind will not let me hold it. I said that to infer that building a npm out of wood might allow you to test out the dish for movement at least and maybe even find a signal! Yes, I know it won't be stable enough for servious viewing, but certainly is for serious experimenting. To me, it makes as much sense as trying to get C band on a 75e.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Now I have another question.

I saw on lyngsat that the FordStar Network is on Ku band, with digicipher. I think the listing was an old one so maybe the network is gone?

I was wondering if I could point my 90cm dish at 101 and tune the DSR922 to that transponder to test the DC light? I know I wouldn't be able to see the channel but I thought I might be able to do that to test the receiver, until I build the C band dish?

I was wondering if I could point my 90cm dish at 101 and tune the DSR922 to that transponder to test the DC light? I know I wouldn't be able to see the channel but I thought I might be able to do that to test the receiver, until I build the C band dish?

I thought Iceberg said OETA on 79°W was still there, but couldn't find the post.

I tried to manual tune it but I didn't get anything.

I subtracted 10750 from the transponder frequency and entered the result (1042) into the manual tune box. I had it set for Ku 4880 and 3/4 as it is listed.

I moved the dish and set it's polarity with my FTA receiver and when I checked the transponder I didn't see any quality, but I don't know if I would be supposed to see that kind of signal with the Captiveworks? I connected the 922 to the IF out

Do you get the OTB Channels on the Captiveworks?

When I install a BSC621(voltage controlled LNBF) on the BUD, then added a 4DTV, I had to set the 4DTV LNB to "Rotated 90"

I tried to manual tune it but I didn't get anything.

I subtracted 10750 from the transponder frequency and entered the result (1042) into the manual tune box. I had it set for Ku 4880 and 3/4 as it is listed.

I moved the dish and set it's polarity with my FTA receiver and when I checked the transponder I didn't see any quality, but I don't know if I would be supposed to see that kind of signal with the Captiveworks? I connected the 922 to the IF out

You won't see anything on the FTA receiver. You can leave it watching KTEL as that is also horizontal polarity. My DCII receiver won't do 4880 SR so I can't tell anything about that signal. Hopefully Iceberg or someone familiar with Oklahoma PBS will comment.

You can test a +-2Mhz offset to account for any LNBF LO drift versus the LyngSat frequency. Also 'auto' FEC if you have the option.

Hopefully someone can confirm it is still there for you since the only other Ku DCII I know about is the Anik satellites and apparently they will screw up your receiver.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)