I think I will get a better answer here....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Talked to a CSR about the new HD channels in the possible future. I asked if I would have to upgrade my HD receiver to mpeg 4 technoloy and the CSR said that she did not have any idea. According to her, Directv has not sent out when new channels and equipment will be coming out and what will be needed. I then asked about upgrading my HD receiver to a new unit containing DVR service. She said the cost would be $299 with 5.99 monthly for the DVR. I asked if there was a lease fee also monthly and she said no. I have a 3 lnb dish and mpeg 2 receiver, do I need to upgrade or not. I see some threads say yes while others say that the mpeg 2 receivers will probably stick around until 2009. Local channels are offered in my area (non HD) but for me to get them I would have to have two dishes pointing in different locations. So, if a new dish is needed for the 150 or so HD channels, would this dish be large enough to get my locals? I do not want two dishes on my house at all. I was getting impatient by not getting my questions answered but I stayed polite because the lady had a "grandmotherly" voice. Any help would be appreciated. If it is important, I live in central Illinois.

Surprisingly enough, the "facts" on this are pretty much accurate:

For new HD channels, a large majority should be in MPEG4, so you will have to upgrade to receive them.

Upgrading to the HR20 should only incur a charge for the "lease", the DVR fee, and the extra receiver fee if you will be using more than one receiver. That extra receiver fee is the lease fee.

Now for the big one:
I have a 3 lnb dish and mpeg 2 receiver, do I need to upgrade or not. I see some threads say yes while others say that the mpeg 2 receivers will probably stick around until 2009. Local channels are offered in my area (non HD) but for me to get them I would have to have two dishes pointing in different locations. So, if a new dish is needed for the 150 or so HD channels, would this dish be large enough to get my locals? I do not want two dishes on my house at all.
Okay. In order to use the HR20 receiver for the new HD channels, you will need to have your dish upgraded to the AT9 or similar model, which has 5 LNB's. This dish will not help you receive the local channels from the 72.5 slot, but will help you receive the local channels in HD when they become available.

So I probably will have to upgrade. What are the odds that the upgrade will be either free or have a nominal fee? I have been a customer for 6 years with autopay so bill is never late. Also, I have the Total Choice Plus package.

But do you currently have a DVR? I think there will be some money involved if you do not currently have a DVR.

Sharpie,
If you are currently under contract and haven't upgraded in 6 months they will give you the HD box for free, no hassle. If you want the PVR they want $199 no hassle. Call them up. They will give you the HR20 for $99. If they push back, do not give up. Tell them you know people are getting them for that much and that's what you want.

If you are no longer under contract, they will give it to you for free if you mention that you are going DISH. You can also get 6 months free of HD, or HBO, etc. See how good of a sales guy you are.

In 6 months, go back for another free/cheap upgrade.

I do not have a DVR presently and I am not under a contract agreement. I tried to get a deal but CSR said $299 was best she could do.

Keep at it. You'll find someone to give it to you.

That $299 is crap. If you log-in online and go to upgrade it will have the $199 offer for the HD PVR right there. Then call and talk them down to $99.

Keep at it. You'll find someone to give it to you.

That $299 is crap. If you log-in online and go to upgrade it will have the $199 offer for the HD PVR right there. Then call and talk them down to $99.

And if they won't do it, drop a line about your local cable company giving free DVR's, and your alternative is switching to cable... then act indignant and ask for the retention line.

Since you are already a customer and no longer are under contract, the first words out of your mouth should be a request to speak with customer retention whenever you are thinking about upgrading and/or have an issue. They are the only ones who can give any compensation. Dish would give you their HD-DVR for free for switching (I don't know anything about their installation fees). 3 Weeks ago I got the Retention CSR with Directv to give me the HD-DVR for $99 with free installation, and I do not believe I am under contract because that issue was never raised.

Since you are already a customer and no longer are under contract, the first words out of your mouth should be a request to speak with customer retention whenever you are thinking about upgrading and/or have an issue. They are the only ones who can give any compensation.

That is not true. I have gotten programming credits from first-line CSR's on several occasions. Usually on the order of 3- or 6-months' free Showtime, or $5 monthly discount on HD package for 6 months. They may be limited to programming credits, and there is probably a low dollar-limit, but they don't have to come from retention.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)