I want a HD DVR!

In my neck of the woods, if I want to record local HD programming I'm better off getting a Dish DVR 921/942 or HD DirecTivo. Comcast in our area has ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, and the two InHD channels, no TNT-HD or Universal HD. Plus, they only have our CBS and OBS channels in HD, no FOX or NBC (we don't have digital ABC, let alone ABC-HD).

Since I'm an 8+ year Dish subscriber, I guess I'll wait for a good deal on the 942...

Another alternative to cable and satellite HD DVR's would be to purchase an HD card for your PC. I've been using a MyHD card since last fall to record the Roanoke locals. It works pretty well and allows me to write the recorded programs to any hard drive in the PC. It's not for everyone though. You'll need to have some basic PC skills. One nice feature to this card is it also upconverts DVD's as well as the SD feed from my 721 receiver. The output looks very nice on my front projector. It will also work with sets that have DVI or component inputs. Another feature is that none of the current PC cards support the digital copy protection flags.

Mike

I had the 6412 online for 6 hours until I unplugged it and took it back. Talk about buggy. And the analog picture quality was like I had a tin can for an antenna.

The HD was ok, they were pushing in 720P, so it wasn't as good as Dish.

The guide was slow as hell, and it had about a 2 second delay between switching channels.

I will hold out for the 942 and hope for the best, But I will not pay a fortune for it, so they better make it affordable to lease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts