I want my FTA!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyinggreg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Columbus,OH
Ok, finally convinced the better half on getting an FTA system. The only problem is - we're virgins/newbies. We need some help with suggestions on what's a really good newb receiver. I've glanced over the equipment reviews, but still need help getting the starter system going. Any help would be great!

Fortec Classic NA.

I have installed most of the receivers on the market and REALLY like the above receiver, plus Fortec and Sadoun are GOLD sponsors here at SatelliteGuys.US

You will NOT go far wrong supporting the folks that support us here!

Also recommend the Invacom range of LNBF's (Also GOLD sponsors)

We are VERY fussy about our sponsors, only the cream of the crop need apply :)

thanks - how does the fortec ultra compare to the classic. i had visit sadoun last weekend, and enjoyed the customer service we received. i didnt have enough time to ask more questions though. anyways, it sound like fortec is the way to go - is it due to ease of setup or features or both. also, how is the pansat line?

There is a review for both in the review area, the Classic NA is much more flexible when Blind (Or as Fortec call it Power) scanning. Changing channels on the Classic NA is lightening fast compared with the Ultra.

The Classic NA has a better user interface and as I reported in the review is much more business like, much more like a tool rather than a receiver (IMO)

Not much experience with Pansats, do not own one. Have installed a LOAD of them and still much prefer the Fortec.....

Last edited:
flyinggreg said:
thanks - how does the fortec ultra compare to the classic. i had visit sadoun last weekend, and enjoyed the customer service we received. i didnt have enough time to ask more questions though. anyways, it sound like fortec is the way to go - is it due to ease of setup or features or both. also, how is the pansat line?

where do you live in Columbus?

Fellow Ohioans.. alright! Just had to say hello! By the way, I have two Coolsat 4000 Pro receivers & really like them. I am thinking about getting Fortec Classic NA though, since I have heard good things about them and they are affordable. I'm going to be working on a small headend setup when I have free time (and money).

Good luck on your new system!

Lima....you might as well be in Michigan!!!

:D

Bethel/315 here. The guys are Sadoun are great!

What kinds of channels were you thinking of getting?

i am looking for the feeds primarily and the wifey is looking for the music channels. I also want to see what all is out there. With 3-5000 channels out there, sounds like a lot of channel surfing is ahead - LOL!

got a couple more questions....
ok, i am trying get my fortec system from sadoun monday evening. i scoped out where i am setting up the dish and plan on getting the pole set tomorrow. the question, can i use a regular antenna pole from lowe's or home depot, or do i need to use something like rigid conduit. I am thinking of a 30" dish (i am trying to squeeze in as big a dish as the apartment complex will allow - heehee)
The other question is, i think i have one building in view of true south, do i need to view true south to set up the H-H? I do have a good view of SW. Tomorrow I am surveying how many degrees of open sky i'll have - but it's a little narrow. Any suggests besides demolition of the neighbor's building? LOL

Using USALS ANY satellite in view will work for the setup.

The antenna poles on general sale are too thin and weak for a dish and motor. I would get a galvanised steel pipe or tube and use that.

If you are going to dig a hole to install the pipe/tube make sure to go deep enough (below the frost line here in MN. is 3') and I fill the tubes/pipes with cement to the top.

What size is the dish you are getting? I would NOT recommend the antenna mast or really even the rigid conduit. Depending on the size of your dish, go with the advised mast via Sadoun's site or a piece of Sch40 galvanised steel pipe, easy to find and local plumbing or sprinkler supply. Make sure you know about your area's frost/freeze line and how to properly install a post; this is NOT the same as sinking a metal fence post.

Awww man!!!! It's killing me....I've been trying to get over to Sadoun's yesterday and today to get my toys! I figured I'd get everything set up and ready for the arrival of my new 'baby' :D But now it looks like I still have to wait until monday evening to get everything....The only thing that sucks is my job is killing me and I can't get home from work until after dark....Time to quit the job LOL!

take a hammer and beat the end going in the ground oval shape with a hammer. it will keep it from turning when the wind blows hard and the cement has dried good (shrunk away from the pole just a little)

Also a good idea to drill right through the bottom and put a long bolt through and it will NEVER move!

OK, get at least an 80 cm dish with the HH100 motor. If you want, you can get a bigger dish and motor, but thats up to you and depends on your neighborhood situation. Also, go to Home Depot and get a 5/8" metal pipe. Mine is an 8 foot pole, I think they had it in the fencing section and could not cut it. It needs to go a good 2-3 feet into the ground, and thats gonna be really hard to do with this weather we are having (frozen ground).

If you do not feel like installing it, the guy who did mine would probably be able to do yours. He is very good, and he does a nice job. This was my first time dealing with a dish, so I paid to have it done, and he has all the proper tools to do it. If you ask Sadoun for Mohammed's number, they will give it to you, or PM me and I will send it to you. If you want to do it yourself, let me know, and I would love to come over and try to tackle this with you. Its really not that hard....its a matter of getting the right angles set up and hitting T5, our true south bird.

You will enjoy this. I had a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, and it crapped out on me after 3 mos, so I took it back and Sadoun gave me a Classic NA. MUCH, MUCH nicer machine....easier to use. They only complaint I would have is that you have to delete channels one at a time, instead of by satellite or whatever. No big deal though.

If you need help understanding the receiver and what all goes with it and how it works, let me know. I could do my best to show you how to work the thing, though I am by far not an expert and I am still learning a ton.

And definitely, next time I get a dish, after I move, I am going C-band. :)

I am so stoked!!! I picked up the Lifetime Classic kit from Sadoun Saturday. Man, they ROCK over there!!! They've been so helpful and answered all my dumb questions. I finally made it to Home Depot today and picked up 1-5/8 galvanized fence pole and sunk it a good 3ft into the ground. My apartment manager said I couldn't use cement so I asked if sand was ok. I know from experience wet sand works pretty good (at least for a good while). I beat the end of it to an oval as suggested by hubba. I also drilled 4 holes 90 deg apart and put 4-1/2" bolts in. I Put in a bag of playground sand and a bucket of water and suck that baby. She's level, plumb, and SOLID! I am waiting until after the rain tomorrow to recheck level again.
My apartment complex has been cool with this. I asked whats the largest dish I can put in and they said they didn't know of any restrictions....hmmmm...1.2m??? HEEEHEEE :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)