I want to add a TV what do I need

crazie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
WV
I have a dish 500 and a single TV and I would like to add another TV to the system. I thought I would get a VIP 222k, what else do I need? Should I get a 1000 or do I need one.Do I need to run 2 cables all the way from the dish to the box?

First, welcome to the forum. Now, some questions:

Do you have an HDTV?
What receiver do you currently have?
Which Sats are you receiving?
Are there any identifiers/logos on your dish's LNB? How long ago was dish (actual dish) installed?

Do you have an HDTV? I don't have one yet but should have one soon but the second tv will not be HDTV

What receiver do you currently have? I don't remember, I'm at work right now

Which Sats are you receiving? 110/119

Are there any identifiers/logos on your dish's LNB? How long ago was dish (actual dish) installed? The dish was installed several years ago

Well... A better question is "Do you want to upgrade to HD?" Presumably your D500 is hooked up to an SD receiver. If you want to upgrade it to a 222k, that would give you two sat tuners, but no DVR and no OTA tuners without the add-on module. All four tuners are capable of HD, but the TV2 output of a 222k is SD only.

To answer the other question, "Yes, you need a cable all the way to your dish LNB assembly." You can get your receiver to tell you what it's hooked up to via menu - 6-1-3.

Edited to add answer to question about dish. Yes, if you go HD you will need to swap out that D500 for a 1000.n to get the HD channels you are paying for. The 1000.n comes with an integrated LNB/switch assembly that can feed as many as 3 dual-tuner receivers via a single cable apiece.

Well... A better question is "Do you want to upgrade to HD?"

I think that was being established. I'm trying to get a lay of the land, find out where he is and how to get to where he wants to be.

I have an antenna for local TV. I am in the Charleston WV area. What I want right now is to add another TV but I will upgrade to HD sometime and don't want to do another upgrade for that. Yes my D500 is hooked up to a SD receiver. If I need a 1000 do I need to point it to a different sat? I have had sat TV since Primestar and have installed all my equipment since Primestar sold out but there is so many things to consider now, thanks for the help.

It appears that Charleston WV is an Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) market. To upgrade to HD, you would need a 1000.4 as well as all mpeg-4 receivers. This is best done via whole home upgrade, so that you don't find yourself using up your single upgrade/yr (or is it one/2-yr?) on a half-baked upgrade.

Of course if you want to do it yourself, you can do this at any time including incrementally as needed. But you would have to buy your own equipment. The simplest thing to do right now is feed the output of your current receiver to both TVs (old and new). If you want independent control of TV2, then you can do this most cheaply with a 322, or slightly less cheaply (per month) with a separate 111/301/311. The output of a Menu-6-1-3 would help here to see what you have on the roof.

I have an antenna for local TV. I am in the Charleston WV area. What I want right now is to add another TV but I will upgrade to HD sometime and don't want to do another upgrade for that. Yes my D500 is hooked up to a SD receiver. If I need a 1000 do I need to point it to a different sat? I have had sat TV since Primestar and have installed all my equipment since Primestar sold out but there is so many things to consider now, thanks for the help.

Your best bet is to have Dish do the install. They will do all the wiring and install and aim your dish. They have all the hardware to combine signal and then split them off again to simplify the wiring. If you every think you might upgrade to an hdtv in your bedroom or another place in your house you might want to get a 2nd receiver like a 211 in addition to the dvr.

So it sounds like I need to get a 322( I found a used one on Amazon for 40.00) until I upgrade to HD then have Dish install the upgrade. What is the cost if Dish does an upgrade?
Do I need to run two cables from the dish to the receiver?

I would stay away from any old receiver. The EARC requires mpeg4 compatible equipment. Don't do it yourself. Let Dish come in, upgrade your equipment and do trhe rewiring. Try do do it yourself will lead to frustration. There are plcaes in the menu where you can tell the receiver what type of TV you are using. Set it for SD at the original setup then change to hd when you get your new hdtv.

I HIGHLY suggest you call Dish about getting the EA switch-over. It is possible, they would replace your current receiver with a 211(which you can turn into a DVR with an external HD after one time $40.00 fee, or perhaps even a 722 DVR which would service both and HDTV and older TV. DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOT HAVING AN HDTV at the moment. Ask questions, get answers.

I guess I will have to call them but I wanted to stay away from that, the last time I tried to upgrade the guy didn't know much about what I wanted to do and suggested I go to Radio Shack. Looks like I need a whole new system

Well, the $40 322 looks pretty attractive to me! Yes, that might need two coaxs from your D500, or it might not if you have a DPP twin. Menu 6-1-3 line h? You could replace your current one-tuner SD receiver with a 322 at no additional cost (other than the purchase price). This might be good enough until you get the HD upgrade.

If you want to avoid the commitment, then you could do all the HD upgrading too, but that's more involved and expensive.

Menu 6-1-3 line h? SW21 3-sat
I really don't care about the commitment, I have had Dish for years and don't expect to change.

This might be good enough until you get the HD upgrade. That was what I was thinking but now I am thinking about just getting the whole thing upgraded, I will have too sometime. Not sure what to do. I may call Dish and see what they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts