I want to add a TV what do I need

Just hooked my 211 up with a new hd and no charge

Did you have an HD hooked up to the 211 before? If so that's why there was no charge. Before the recent change, there was a one time charge for EHD activation. After that there was no further charge for additional HD's. I just hooked up an EHD to my 211 andthere was a $40 activation fee.

I do suggest you call Dish, and inquire about the Whole Home Upgrade (WHUP) promotion, to get your setup from SD to HD, assuming of course that your receiver is leased.

They'd most likely send you a technician that'd charge you $15 (assuming you have Service Plan on your acct), the technician would replace your old DP500 with a new DPP1000.4, and your SD receiver with a new ViP622 or ViP722k, enabling your setup to be HD ready.

But if you want the best deal, I suggest you enroll in autopay and paperless billing so that you'd be eligible for the HD Free For Life promo, so you wouldn't have to pay $10 every month, or the $99 one-time HD Free For Life fee. That way, you save more.

I also do suggest you get Service Plan. It's like an insurance plan for your equipment, just in case you'd need a technician visit or replacements to your equipment, for discounts galore (pay just $15 for a technician visit rather than the usual $95 if you don't have the service plan) and free shipping for equipment exchanges, for just $6 monthly.

But then again, yeah, that's just my two cents. Call for the WHUP already, have a visit scheduled. Don't do it yourself. ;)

The service plan is debatable. At $6/month= $72/year or $720/10 years. Paying the occasional $95 for a service call or $15 for shipping of a replacement receiver is far cheaper. I've been with Dish since the days of the 1000 and 2000 receivers and you had to do your own install. If I had had the service plan, I figure I would have spent well over $1000.

It appears that Charleston WV is an Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) market.

...can do this most cheaply with a 322, or slightly less cheaply (per month) with a separate 111/301/311. The output of a Menu-6-1-3 would help here to see what you have on the roof.
AFAIK all of those receivers are MPEG-2 and will NOT receive most, if not all, signals from the Eastern Arc. That is why the 211 was suggested for you, potential made into a DVR. The VIP622/722(k) will decode MPEG-4 as used there and record/review programs.
-Ken

I own and installed all my equipment. I am going to call Dish today and see what my options are. I think I will add local channels too

I just called and they will be coming out tomorrow to install new equipment. I signed up for the service plan so the install was free. I can cancel the service plan with no penalty after 150 days, and before that with a $25 penalty. I have always owned my equipment, this will be my first lease

a 222K HD Duo, I talked to her about changing the dish also but Im not sure she got that on the installation. She was a little confused

a 222K HD Duo, I talked to her about changing the dish also but Im not sure she got that on the installation. She was a little confused

Are you sure you don't want DVR ability? 222K won't give it to you. Just making sure.

I first upgraded to a DVR (501) a few years ago, not really knowing how great it would be. I had fuddy-duddy family members who hated the extra buttons on the remote, and refused to use the trick play features for about a week. Then everybody finally "got it", and now these features are indispensable around here. Nowadays, we refuse to watch OTA directly (without doing so through our DVRs) precisely because of those features.

Note that, other than the $6/mo DVR fee, your monthly bill will not go up if you went for a 722 (for example) rather than a 222.

Yeh, I don't think there is a living soul with a DVR that could/would do without it. It would be the dark ages for me. Think about pausing what you are watching while you go the bathroom, then resuming. That's just the basic...it gets even better from there...skipping commercials, FF, Rew, watching a program again and again...and many, many more.

I have never had DVR, I don't think I would use it much

How many times have there been 2 shows or more on at the same time you want to watch? Or is on after you want to go to bed? As others have said, once you have one you can't live without a dvr. Think of the dvr as the modern VCR. And if you want, you can add and external HD to certain models and have unlimited storage.

The dish guy is here now and I will be getting a 722, you guys talked me into it.

Oh, some advice. Make sure you place your 722 in a well ventilated area. Never stack on top or on. They can get easily overheated which can lead to Hard Drive problems.

I think I am going to like it. One thing I have found I wish were different is I have an antenna for my local channels and I can't get the show info or have control over the picture format

Not all areas from an OTA will show the listings in the guide (Ours here where we are shows either the programming name "Digital Service" or "No Info Available") I've never watched OTA myself, but have you tried the * button on the remote to change formats?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts