GEOSATpro I want to be REALLY sure

Mike045

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Quebec
Two weeks ago I received my MicroHD ( a replacement ) and did a software upgrade to the latest version 011; since that time the STB has been running flawlessly.

Now I want to edit my userdb file with MES and I want to be sure that I have the right procedure. (I have been there before, so ... )

Here is what I did so far:

The MicroHD being in standby mode, I inserted a USB thumb then powered ON the unit.
Menu/TOOLS/Save to USB
Save mode userdb
Save File userdb.udf
Start

Click on Start and got the message : File Successfully Saved
I had to click on exit to return to the menu
Then I choose Disconnect External USB Device, and return afterwards to standby mode, and retrieved the USB thumb.

Now what I intend to do:
Edit the userdb file on my PC with MES and save it with the name userdb_20121002.udf and copy it to the USB thumb.
Then reintroduce the USB in the MicroHD, power it; in the Menu choose TOOLS/Upgrade with USB and select the udf file and click START; after again Disconnect External USB Device.

Now at this stage, do I have to power cycle the STB or/and do a Factory Reset, or just begin to use the MicroHD just as usual ?

I know that I have been rather specific in the steps but I want to avoid at all costs any trouble with the Micro.

Mike

If you load a channel list into the Micro you must do a power cycle (power unit off...then back on) for the channel list to take effect

I'll let someone else guide you through the rest....I dont use a channel editor. But when I save the channel list to the hard drive I do it exactly as you posted

Menu/TOOLS/Save to USB
Save mode userdb
Save File userdb.udf
Start
Click on Start and got the message : File Successfully Saved
I had to click on exit to return to the menu

then to load it back
in the Menu choose TOOLS/Upgrade with USB and select the udf file and click START;
then power cycle

A factory reset will remove all the channels you just saved ;)

Thanks Iceberg; your comments are always helpful.

From what I can see, there are three files that can eventually get updated (not speaking of the logos ones); the Allcode.abs (I suspect that it is the software), the defaultdb.ddf (default channel list ?) and the userdb.udf (user channel list: chosen channel list, diseqc setup, favorite,and the like). So whatever I do an upgrade with one of these 3 files, I have to power cycle; I mean, there is no case when you not have to do it (though it have been said that future software after the 011 version, the reboot is supposed to be automatic.)

When I did a software upgrade, I followed the rules set by AV:

Back-up your current firmware to USB - Save to USB (ALLCODE) .abs
Save your user data to USB - Save to USB (userdb) .udf

Important Notice: After updating your receiver go into standby mode.
Power cycle by removing and reinserting the power plug (future .abs file updates will automatically reboot).
Perform a Factory Reset before reloading user data base file (.udf) or reconfiguring the satellite settings and scanning for channels.

It was not clear that I had to do a power cycle after reloading the udf file.

Now I got a problem with the saved userdb.udf from MicroHD.
I am using the latest software 011:
TDV10290-1-0-2-0
HDVS54012-1108249 A0 2012-8-29.

The userdb file loads without problem with the AliEditor; but with MES, I get the famous message: Error N.9, Subscript out of range!. I have to kill the process to terminate it. Now with my previous MicroHD, I had upgraded with the 009, then the 010 and finally 011 versions, and MES was working fine with my then saved userdb.udf file.
This time I just installed the 011 version. Is there an explanation to the behaviour of MES ?

Mike

Allcode is for software
default is the default TP/sat list you want. I dont know exactly what that does.
userdb is the user channel list

Anytime you reload the user database you need to power off/then back on the Micro for the channel list to take effect. When you download the channel list to the Micro and it says "OK" it will have the old list (if you have one already) still in there until you power cycle (not factory reset)

The MES warning Error N.9, Subscript out of range! is only displayed if the receiver .udf file is built or imported from a receiver operating on firmware package prior to version 11 (8.29). I am using a .udf that composed completely with version .11 (8.29) firmware and do not have the MES N.9 error.

After the STB was updated to firmware version 11, did you perform a Factory reset and use the new default satellite/TP list installed with the firmware update or did you build the channel list on the old satellite/Transponder list or load an old .udf file?

Last edited:
....After the STB was updated to firmware version 11, did you perform a Factory reset and use the new default satellite/TP list installed with the firmware update or did you build the channel list on the old satellite/Transponder list or load an old .udf file?

After the STB was updated I did a Factory reset and then did a power cycle if I recall correctly. And after I used the new default satellite/TP list installed with the firmware update. Tomorrow I will do again a Factory reset (I know that I will loose what I have been building for a week or two, but I do not really care) and scan a few satellites and then test again with the userdb file.

Mike

One answer please...recycle the power is
A: Unplug the DC power from the unit wait, and then plug it back in or ...
B: Use the remote and turn off and then back on...

I think A: as B: would be to put it into standby.... Have not had time to try anything, myself as yet.

But, hopefully, by Monday I will be able to get back to work on the Satellite system. The ground now is almost to soggy to walk on. My propane tank was delivered yesterday and the truck sank about 6 inches into the mud. By Monday, walking on it will probably mean a six inch sink!

interesting...when I upload my channels from the drive I just do a power off with the remote then power back on

software upgrades require the plug being pulled

Iceberg said:
interesting...when I upload my channels from the drive I just do a power off with the remote then power back on

software upgrades require the plug being pulled

I was only clarifying what Power Cycling refers to in our step by step instructions.

Yes. Switching to standby then back to operate will set a new .udf file, but I prefer to power cycle as this forces a complete flash reload.

The complete power cycle was what I thought, however, some one mentioned the remote in the sequence and I wanted to make absolutely sure. As in when I lose power (as regularly has happened) the re-powering may be causing the timers to be lost. A 45 AH battery with isolation diode should get installed in the next 2 weeks. Then testing can begin!!

Like I said yesterday, I made a Factory reset, rescanned some 12 satellites C/Kku from 107 to 55,5 W and saved the userdb.udf which I edited with MES. No problem to import, though the ports of my Diseqc for the satellites were not carried in the saved userdb.udf file, curious. I made some changes, reordering the satellites by position and added a TP and channels on G16 (the new Virgin Island HD channels that remain hidden to Micro). After upgrading by USB on the Micro, I made a power cycle just to be really sure, and all worked well. I had though to add the ports again (diseqc).
I could have made the changes for the ports with MES :)
Thanks Brian and others.

Mike

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)