I want to Buy a 721, or Do I ???

The 721 is doing MUCH better now and has for a while now. You will have to reboot it once in a while though but for the most part you should not have any problems.

Charles,

Awesome reply . . . many thanks. :)

BobaBird said:
If your 2 separate LNBs are really singles, you will have to replace them with duals and add another SW21 switch (what you called a combiner) and another line into the house.
I assume the LNB's are singles. I got the first in late-1998 with my initial install and the second ~2 years later with an ungrade to Dish 500.

You could also replace the separate LNBs with either a legacy or DishPro Twin, and run another the house. Or do as Shaggy suggested :yes and get the DP Plus Twin (info and diagram). That will save you from running another line and allow you to add another satellite some day without having to add an external switch.
I perceive a chicken and egg delemia here. According to the Tech Notes in your link, see below, last bullet, The DPP twin requires a software upgrade to work with the 721. Since software upgrades require a satellite link which requires a working LNB, how do we get there?

Special Considerations
Refer to the DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF User’s Guide for detailed installation instructions and for the special
considerations below.
• DP Plus dual-tuner receivers require a software download to complete the installation. A special
download procedure is included in the user guide.
• There is a 200’ cable length limit for DISH Pro and DP Plus dual-tuner receivers with some additional
limitations as detailed in the user guide.
• When connecting a Legacy receiver, a second receiver must also be connected to power the LNBF:
o If the second receiver is DISH Pro or DP Plus, the DP Plus Twin will be fully functional.
o If the second receiver is Legacy, the LNB IN port (for a second satellite dish) cannot be used.
• Legacy receivers will recognize the DP Plus Twin as an SW64 switch – this is normal.
• The DP Plus Twin may be connected to a DP Plus 44 switch, but not to DP21 switches or DP34 switches.
• A DP Plus Separator allows a DP Plus dual-tuner receiver to be fed by a single cable – it cannot be used
to feed two single-tuner receivers.
• The DISH 721 does not have support for the DP Plus Twin at this time. The 721 software will be
upgraded later to add this support.

Hermit

The Special Considerations posted by Hermit are obsolete.

Many are still valid, but some - especially the "no DPP-Twin/Sep for 721" are not.

I have 2 721's, and they rock. Yes, you need to reboot them occasionally (they start getting funky with menus, etc, after a while).

I've been real happy with them.

I'm looking to add a 942 within the next few months, but won't give up my 721's for
SD stuff.

LER

chaddux said:
Soon, your 721 will be useless anyway. With the switch to MPEG4, a 721 wouldn't work anymore. The first MPEG4 receiver is supposed to roll out next month so be aware that you are purchasing a soon-to-be paper weight. DISH hasn't revealed exactly how they will handle the switching of receivers so you might not be able to simply swap a 721 for an MPEG4 receiver.
721 is SD only. It will become a paperweight about the same time as all the other 3xx and 5xx receivers become paperweights, which I suspect is not anytime soon.

Quick review of the 721: the 721 is about as stable as any other Dish DVR. It saves $5 - $10/mo. over other Dish DVRs. It does not have NBR, and does not implement many of the Dish Home functions such as Instant Weather and MOsaic (six channels at once). I also find that commands are a bit slow compared to the 301 and my 508. But overall I am happy with it - dual tuners is the only way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)