I Want to Know Some Things About DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AudioFox

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
West Virginia, USA
Hi all. I'm more of a BUD girl and I don't even watch TV that much, but my family does and they've been bothering me to get some sort of subscription service for a while. Considering the channels everyone wants, DirecTV is the only real option. Thing is, DirecTV's website is nearly worthless for any sort of research and you get the same canned response about how great they are every time you email them.
I wanted to get the "Choice XTRA" package, but the regular monthly price isn't listed anywhere on their website. It shows an introductory rate of $34.99/month, with the text "Save $26/mo" at the top, does that mean the regular price is $60.99? That sounds OK, but what does an actual bill come to for this package? I don't need local channels, DVR or HD. They won't tell me what that costs.
More importantly, I really, really, reeeaaaallly do NOT want the "professional" installation. Can you get access cards for, and activate receivers you buy and install yourself? I already have a few brand new standard receivers, I hooked them up to a spare 3' dish with a circular feedhorn and they're getting 99% signal from 101°W. I've tried emailing them several times about this and always get the exact same response about how my brand new, never before used receivers aren't as reliable as their brand new, never before used receivers, and how if I dare do something as simple as install a microwave antenna I'll cause a tear in the space-time continuum and destroy the universe, and a breathless lecture about how their "professionals" are A1 SUPER PLUS THE BEST!!!!!!!111!!!!1!! Keeping that in mind, to date I've seen DirecTV dishes aimed at: a row of buildings, through a hill, the side of a metal barn, on the north side of a driveway aimed though a large truck, and exactly at four trees. But the thing that really bothers me is someone else touching my stuff, I'm a ham radio operator, I have antennas sticking off of every square inch of the back of my house, and I've been playing with satellite dishes before DirecTV even existed. So can I just call them and have them send me cards or what?

Be aware that even if you "Buy" a receiver it is actually leased.. I have gotten a couple from one of our Gold Sponsors Sadoun in the past and got a couple from Directv to upgrade a couple, all came with the access card... also Directv is increasing prices soon.

Hi all. I'm more of a BUD girl and I don't even watch TV that much, but my family does and they've been bothering me to get some sort of subscription service for a while. Considering the channels everyone wants, DirecTV is the only real option. Thing is, DirecTV's website is nearly worthless for any sort of research and you get the same canned response about how great they are every time you email them.
I wanted to get the "Choice XTRA" package, but the regular monthly price isn't listed anywhere on their website. It shows an introductory rate of $34.99/month, with the text "Save $26/mo" at the top, does that mean the regular price is $60.99? That sounds OK, but what does an actual bill come to for this package? I don't need local channels, DVR or HD. They won't tell me what that costs.
More importantly, I really, really, reeeaaaallly do NOT want the "professional" installation. Can you get access cards for, and activate receivers you buy and install yourself? I already have a few brand new standard receivers, I hooked them up to a spare 3' dish with a circular feedhorn and they're getting 99% signal from 101°W. I've tried emailing them several times about this and always get the exact same response about how my brand new, never before used receivers aren't as reliable as their brand new, never before used receivers, and how if I dare do something as simple as install a microwave antenna I'll cause a tear in the space-time continuum and destroy the universe, and a breathless lecture about how their "professionals" are A1 SUPER PLUS THE BEST!!!!!!!111!!!!1!! Keeping that in mind, to date I've seen DirecTV dishes aimed at: a row of buildings, through a hill, the side of a metal barn, on the north side of a driveway aimed though a large truck, and exactly at four trees. But the thing that really bothers me is someone else touching my stuff, I'm a ham radio operator, I have antennas sticking off of every square inch of the back of my house, and I've been playing with satellite dishes before DirecTV even existed. So can I just call them and have them send me cards or what?

Need more info ...... what dish are you trying to use, your C-Band ? or a D* dish, which D* dish ?
The recvrs you mention, depending on what they are, may be old and not capable of recving what your going to want programming wise.

IF you want to do the work, thats fine, go over to Best Buy or use a sponsor and order them. and then set them up yourself, all is able to be done.
When ordering, make sure you get what you need.

IF you buy them yourself, you will pay the list price, if you get them thru D* you'll get a much better price and they KNOW that the install is done to thier standards, many are very good, some not.
That said, if they come out to do the install you have the right to be there and watch them every step of the way, if you want.
Some will even just have you sign the paperwork and leave the equipment.

I have done ALL my own work, setting up dishes and recvrs for along time now as well, ever since I got into this stuff.
That said, I've also had D* here and on other sites that I know of people having work done and have never had a problem. Most have been very helpful and willing to do most anything I request.
When they know that you know how to do thier job, but not threatening it, they share info much easier and tend to do a better than avg. job.

Your welcome to buy your own equipment (still a lease) and set up your own stuff, but don't call them when something doesn't work right or you need something fixed down the line.

Choice extra regular price with 1 standard reciever 60.99 ( this is going up to 63.99 in feburary but if you sign up you get price lock till 2011)

Now you will get alot more resistence buying a buy and then trying to activate it then just calling sales and having them set up an account. And from my understanding either way new accounts are locked in for 2 years no mater what. But that is something I would have to double check.

But your basically looking at 60.99 with 1 tv and 5 dollars more for each addiotnal tv , not includeding any taxes that may be acceptable to your state as not all states have communications or satellite tax.

Do what I do. Run all your own wiring. Make sure you are using compression connectors,, solid copper core RG6, and home run everything to a central location. Run four lines to where you want the dish to go. Call and have it installed so you get the introductory pricing and free equipment. It will be an easy install for the installer (assuming you did it all right) and you get the peace of mind that it meets your standards.

Do what I do. Run all your own wiring. Make sure you are using compression connectors,, solid copper core RG6, and home run everything to a central location. Run four lines to where you want the dish to go. Call and have it installed so you get the introductory pricing and free equipment. It will be an easy install for the installer (assuming you did it all right) and you get the peace of mind that it meets your standards.

He could also leave the ends off and have the D* guy make the connections if he wanted.
If all lines are in place with the correct coax, chances are the installer would be thrilled.

Be aware that even if you "Buy" a receiver it is actually leased..

Are you certain about that? On Sadoun's website it says "
All Prices above are buy to own, not lease. Except for new subscriber who prefer to lease their equipment with a new contract.", but these companies never have been good at making things clear. I'd much rather own than lease, but I did manage to ferret it out of them that there's a still a $5/mo surcharge for extra receivers whether you own them or not.

Need more info ...... what dish are you trying to use, your C-Band ? or a D* dish, which D* dish ?
The recvrs you mention, depending on what they are, may be old and not capable of recving what your going to want programming wise.

IF you want to do the work, thats fine, go over to Best Buy or use a sponsor and order them. and then set them up yourself, all is able to be done.

Right now it's hooked up to a 100cm Fortec offset dish with a dual circular LNBF and aimed at 101°W, 98-99% signal most of the time. Most of their SD channels seem to be there, for now but I can throw one of their new AU9 dishes (which also catches 99° and 103°, which seem to be HD only) up in a few minutes if they complain, or add another LNBF to this dish. For the most part, I'm not worried about receiver compatibility, the receivers are brand new, three D-12 models with the current cards. I have an older Sony DSS model (SAT-B2) from about 10 years ago that I wanted to try out (just for the hell of it), any idea if that would work if it had a new access card?

As for setting up, they're already set up, the house is wired for four rooms with 90% coverage copper braid solid-core RG6 and a very special type of low-loss compression connector, and a multiswitch hooked up to the little dish outside. So there's no way to activate these then? No one has ever been successful in doing that before?

There aren't any retailers around here that have DirecTV (only DishNet), if I ordered online from Sadoun or Solid Signal, what could I expect, do they just mail you the stuff? Do you have to do anything after they're set up, or are they already activated?

And from my understanding either way new accounts are locked in for 2 years no mater what. But that is something I would have to double check.

This I really would like to know, because my husband is downright paranoid about contracts. What are the terms of the contract? Can I find a copy of it online? More specifically, what do they do to you if you have to cancel?

Thanks for the help, guys, especially on the pricing.
-Sonya

Are you certain about that? On Sadoun's website it says "
All Prices above are buy to own, not lease. Except for new subscriber who prefer to lease their equipment with a new contract.", but these companies never have been good at making things clear. I'd much rather own than lease, but I did manage to ferret it out of them that there's a still a $5/mo surcharge for extra receivers whether you own them or not.

Right now it's hooked up to a 100cm Fortec offset dish with a dual circular LNBF and aimed at 101°W, 98-99% signal most of the time. Most of their SD channels seem to be there, for now but I can throw one of their new AU9 dishes (which also catches 99° and 103°, which seem to be HD only) up in a few minutes if they complain, or add another LNBF to this dish. For the most part, I'm not worried about receiver compatibility, the receivers are brand new, three D-12 models with the current cards. I have an older Sony DSS model (SAT-B2) from about 10 years ago that I wanted to try out (just for the hell of it), any idea if that would work if it had a new access card?

As for setting up, they're already set up, the house is wired for four rooms with 90% coverage copper braid solid-core RG6 and a very special type of low-loss compression connector, and a multiswitch hooked up to the little dish outside. So there's no way to activate these then? No one has ever been successful in doing that before?

There aren't any retailers around here that have DirecTV (only DishNet), if I ordered online from Sadoun or Solid Signal, what could I expect, do they just mail you the stuff? Do you have to do anything after they're set up, or are they already activated?

This I really would like to know, because my husband is downright paranoid about contracts. What are the terms of the contract? Can I find a copy of it online? More specifically, what do they do to you if you have to cancel?

Thanks for the help, guys, especially on the pricing.
-Sonya

New account get a 24 month contract no matter what now.

also if your husband is paranoid about contracts dtv is not the service to have. Just speaking honestly.

speaking of contracts, I believe Cable is using them just like D* and other companies now...correct? A co-worker of mine signed up for a triple play package with the local cable company and she signed a 24 month for a price lock agreement.

so, what I am getting at is, it really doesn't matter who you go with today....contracts will come with it.

speaking of contracts, I believe Cable is using them just like D* and other companies now...correct? A co-worker of mine signed up for a triple play package with the local cable company and she signed a 24 month for a price lock agreement.

so, what I am getting at is, it really doesn't matter who you go with today....contracts will come with it.

Not necessarily. My mom just signed up for U-Verse, no contract....

Not necessarily. My mom just signed up for U-Verse, no contract....

Where I live indivual services from cableco ( comcast ) are not undercontract unless you take advantage of a deal . But all double/triple plays are undercontract.

uverse try doing a contract for my grandmother and why she said no to them and they are promoting it pretty heavly in atlanta.

Biggest problem I see is that you wont be able to get the receivers to verify with your setup. If you order now the receiver will look for 110, 119, and 101. If you dont have signal on 110 & 119 they will not verify.

Good luck calling and dealing with the ISS team.

Status
Please reply by conversation.