I was lucky to get 211

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigcstyle

Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Hello.

I just had Dish install my system today and was lucky enough to get 2 vip 211's. I had to request them and the installer said it was the first one he had put in. He had no idea it would be needed for new hd channels anytime soon.

Anyway, I was unable to get zoom HD channels because he said I would need another dish pointing in a different direction and he told me I had to many trees blocking that direction so I would not be able to get them.

My question is weather or not I will be able to pick up espnHD UniversalHD etc on feb first with just the regular dish. I think its a dish 500..... I will be upset if I actually have 2 recievers capable of picking up the signal but not able to get a dish signal for them.

Thanks

To start, its VOOM, not zoom

2nd off, depends where you live, if you could provide a city/state, it would help, as for now atleast, ESPN2HD, VOOM, UHD and others are on both 61.5 and 129!

I am in casselberry (orlando area) florida my zip is 32707.

I am also having trouble with my ota.... I get NBC at 100% which is a VHF signal... But I cannot get the vip 211 to find the UFH channels when I have it scan local channels. What am I doing wrong? How do I set that up? NBC is the only VHF channel and it is farther away than the UHF channels so there should be no reason i would not pick these up... please advise... thanks

Good news for you being in orlando because currently Orlando has some local stations on 61.5 (which is where voom and the new channels will be) Because of the local deal all you have to do is call dish up and say you want your free second dish locals and Dish is required by law to come out and install that second dish for free. After the second dish is installed then you can call back again and order voom once they show up red in the guide.

What kind of OTA antenna do you have?

I have an indoor Terk TV5. I dont understand why the vip 211 is only finding the vhf channel.. I get 100% reception with it... However it wont even find the local UHF channels.

As far as the second dish goes I was supposed to have the second dish installed today but the installer was saying there wasnt a clear view of sight so he would not install it because I wouldnt get good reception. I think this is BS because the neighbor has two dishes and we have similar trees.

Last question... if i can get that second dish installed would I get local HD channels from it for free from dish?? I didnt understand your post im still new at this..

Thanks

bigcstyle said:
I have an indoor Terk TV5. I dont understand why the vip 211 is only finding the vhf channel.. I get 100% reception with it... However it wont even find the local UHF channels.
As far as the second dish goes I was supposed to have the second dish installed today but the installer was saying there wasnt a clear view of sight so he would not install it because I wouldnt get good reception. I think this is BS because the neighbor has two dishes and we have similar trees.
Last question... if i can get that second dish installed would I get local HD channels from it for free from dish?? I didnt understand your post im still new at this..
Thanks

Terk antennas = junk

bigcstyle said:
Thanks

No there's additional local SD channels on 61.5. But Orlando HD locals will be added to dish this year so they could be added to that pish or possible the dish 500 so either way you'd be set for them

I am just wondering why the installer told me I wouldnt be able to have the voom dish. I was looking at the sky with him and didnt think the trees were all that much or a problem.. I wonder if dish would send someone else out for a second look...

Also, anyone have any advice on how to get my uhf channels to pick up... I find it very odd that my antenna only finds the one vhf channel... All stations are 14 miles from my house so I shouldnt have any problems...

The other guy hit it on the Head. That terk antenna is garbage. Take it back and get a Zenith Silver Sensor.

bigcstyle said:
I am just wondering why the installer told me I wouldnt be able to have the voom dish. I was looking at the sky with him and didnt think the trees were all that much or a problem.. I wonder if dish would send someone else out for a second look...

Yea call dish up again and say you want the 2nd dish installed free because you have local channels on 61.5. The original installer might have been lazy. If someone else comes out, ask them to at least setup a dish and see if they can get a signal. Being in orlando, 61.5 should be pretty high in the sky.

Dont mention you want the 2nd dish for voom, or they might try to charge you for it. Just say you want the local channels that are on 61.5.

If you want take that antenna and put it directly into your TV and try a scan that way (this is just to verify the sensitivity of the 211) if you pick up all the channels I would wonder about the 211, if you don't take the others advice and try another antenna!!

If you don't want to have 2 dishes installed and don't care about the extra locals on 61.5, I would think you could just tell Dish that you wanted a Dish1000 to begin with. (It is a newer dish to view 3 sat locations.) See if you can convince them to just swap your dish out and you would have access to all the new Voom content and ESPN2hd come Feb. 1.

KyDave said:
If you don't want to have 2 dishes installed and don't care about the extra locals on 61.5, I would think you could just tell Dish that you wanted a Dish1000 to begin with. (It is a newer dish to view 3 sat locations.) See if you can convince them to just swap your dish out and you would have access to all the new Voom content and ESPN2hd come Feb. 1.

Probably can't use a Dish1000 in southern Florida. Wrong geometry.

Wow, really? Didn't know that. So how will those that can't utilize a 1000 get mpeg4 stuff? Will that be on 61.5 also?

thanks for all of the input everyone I have another installer coming out next monday. Also, this zenith silver sensor .... where could I buy one? does it work with VHF as well? Will it def pick up the signal the terk missed? My stations are only 14 miles away max...

thanks

bigcstyle said:
thanks for all of the input everyone I have another installer coming out next monday. Also, this zenith silver sensor .... where could I buy one? does it work with VHF as well? Will it def pick up the signal the terk missed? My stations are only 14 miles away max...
thanks
WalMart has the Philips version of the Silver Sensor that does VHF also. I'm using it now, and it gets all the UHF that my original got from the same location in the house. My towers are about 20 miles away, relatively flat terrain.

bigcstyle said:

thanks

Are you picking up the analog channels? If you are not, all of your digital stations are UHF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts