I was stuck using FIOS all last week, and it sucked!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
Last week I had to go to Florida for something and I used my parents Verizon Fios TV service. I was not impressed at all. The guide is a MESS, our Directv guide has a simplistic elegance that the others services just can't compete with. The Fios guide literally gave me a headache with the way that it works and is layed out.
The picture was not anywhere near as sharp as Directv. I had numerous mess up's when I tried to record something on the dvr, twice it only recorded the last 10 minutes of the shows, and once didn't even record the show. I am so happy to be home with my Directv.

Last week I had to go to Florida for something and I used my parents Verizon Fios TV service. I was not impressed at all. The guide is a MESS, our Directv guide has a simplistic elegance that the others services just can't compete with. The Fios guide literally gave me a headache with the way that it works and is layed out.
The picture was not anywhere near as sharp as Directv. I had numerous mess up's when I tried to record something on the dvr, twice it only recorded the last 10 minutes of the shows, and once didn't even record the show. I am so happy to be home with my Directv.
FIOS picture used to be the best, but FIOS and directv have since switched bandwidth positions, FIOS is out of bandwidth for their TV service and directv has more than they know what to do with. FIOS started over-compressing some channels around a year ago now, every new HD addition just means they are compressing the current lineup more.

Also most people I have talked to absolutely hated the FIOS DVR, but unlike directv you can always go the Tivo route which of course is generally considered the best DVR.

The biggest problem with these providers moving towards IPTV. Their customer base does not understand how that it will work better for them. Even though they are already using IPTV with apps and OnDemand. The biggest thing is that they will see at max, 8mb/s for mpeg4 streaming rate, because of the scheme that they use.

If anyone has things correct, it is Google Fiber. They are doing what Verizon should have done from the beginning.

The biggest problem with these providers moving towards IPTV. Their customer base does not understand how that it will work better for them. Even though they are already using IPTV with apps and OnDemand. The biggest thing is that they will see at max, 8mb/s for mpeg4 streaming rate, because of the scheme that they use.

If anyone has things correct, it is Google Fiber. They are doing what Verizon should have done from the beginning.

Not only that, but they need to get ready for watching lots and lots of commericals. Just like on demand now, once more people are viewing content via that on demand method advertisers and content providers are going to realize they can squeeze out some extra pennies by ensuring that those commercials get played and not just skipped.

I'll gladly stay with D* just for that.

If I ever lose my DVR in any significant fashion I'll simply go rogue and torrent everything.

I have fios and dish and the new fios Dvr is just as good as my hopper and the picture is better in my opinion with fios

I have fios and dish and the new fios Dvr is just as good as my hopper and the picture is better in my opinion with fios
FIOS picture is probably better than dish, Dish is known to be sending out an HD-lite resolution. Plus not all FIOS QAM channels are over loaded yet. ESPN for example still looks great on FIOS.

I am assuming you have a quantum DVR, I personally haven't used that model, I have heard good and bad but it has to better than the old ones, plus I believe it has 6 tuners which is very nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts