I went with XM, big mistake?

pro96 said:
A true Sat radio guru has both .. like I do :D

Good point, I would love to see one device that can connect to both XM and Sirius at the same time. I would listen to Sirius in the morning and XM (for baseball) in the afternoon...

I have been an XM subscriber since day 1, and i love it. Getting back to the original post, your thinking of getting rid of it because your having trouble mounting it?? thats the worst reason i have ever heard!! There are dozens of ways to mount that model including vehicle specific mounts available at most car audio shops.In any case XM RULES! ---OPIE AND ANTHONY XM 202---

Chado said:
I think that Scott put it best, both are WAY better than FM.

Exactly...I don't understand the bickering. I'm glad there's competition. Personally, I can't stand Sirius, but obviously some feel the exact opposite.

But I WOULD take issue with the statement that Sirius is "better run". From a business standpoint, they've made some of the dumbest moves I've ever seen.
They do seem to be improving now, but they have a big hole to climb out of.

I have had sirius since 2003 the when they dumped fox I switched to XM. I really don't like XM as much, and now that fox is back, I am going to switch back to Sirius. I currently have the Pioneer Airware, which I do like, on the other hand I have a skyfi 2 and I HATE the song seeks, the beeps are so soft, I seldom hear them! Just my 2 cents. :)

PeterB said:
Proof?

Thats right there is none, other than one board member quitting and Howard's BS he has been spouting. Last I checked, XM's stock is still in the 20 range, while Sirius is still in the $5 range. Sirius had a LARGER loss Q4 than XM, and even after the subscriber bump and buzz from Howard.

XM also pays less per new customer than Sirius, and is on track to be profitable well before Sirius.

These are FACTS which can be find is simple Google searches.

Comparing the current per share price tells you nothing. If you are looking for the value of the companies you need to look at market capitalization. If you are looking for investment potential quite a bit more comes into play.

Eric Goempel said:
Looking at the stock price only XM is the way to go. Also the fact that XM is built into a ton of General Motors cars helps.

It is also a VERY BAD image that Howard Stern dumped all his stock within what, one week!

You should really take an introductory investments class. Market capitalization = stock price * shares outstanding. XM's stock price is higher because they have fewer shares outstanding. Even with SIRI hovering near a 52-week low the stock market still values it higher than XMSR. ($5.93 billion v. $5.29 billion)

I went w/Sirius over XM because they had a better selection of exclusive channels. Sirius seems to be more fun, in that they have DJs that give you insight on the music rather than just play song after song.

Also, XM seems to be losing more and more channels to Sirius. Playboy's gone, Nascar is going soon (2007), what's next MLB? Plus now Sirius has Fox News. XM just didn't do it for me....

Grimlok said:
Also, XM seems to be losing more and more channels to Sirius. Playboy's gone, Nascar is going soon (2007), what's next MLB? Plus now Sirius has Fox News. XM just didn't do it for me....
Wow... Does anyone actually get their kicks listening to Playboy on the radio? (I can see the lawsuits coming already) Nascar is better on TV, though it does suck that Sirius is getting them. XM has like a 10 or 11 year contract with MLB, so I don't think they will be going to Sirius anytime soon. Personally I got XM for the music. I used to be a Top 40 pop/rock person, and now I listen to all sorts of stuff I never knew was out there. I've never tried Sirius, so I'm not going to sit here and bash them. (though I do think that they made a huge financial/business mistake signing Stern for so much $$$) Like others have said, either XM or Sirius is gonna be tons better than FM. So pick one (or both if you can afford it) and be happy! :)

Stan

Eric Goempel said:
It is also a VERY BAD image that Howard Stern dumped all his stock within what, one week!

Someone does not know what they are talking about Howard has not dumped any stock. You may want to do some better research. Sirius is rapidly closing the gap with XM. VW and Audi both decided to go with Sirius exclusively (they used to offer both but dumped XM in favor of Sirius). Ford and Chrysler are also Sirius exclusive. The only exclusive XM has is GM and we all know GM is on the verge of bancruptcy :)

dtanderson said:
Sirius is rapidly closing the gap with XM.
What are you basing this on? The stock price which is about 1/4 that of XM? Or the 4 million subs they have which is still nowhere near XM's 6 million? Or maybe the $500 million they have to pay howard for not bringing in nearly enough subs to cover this cost? "Hoo Hoo Robin, I invented bankrupting corporations, tell em fred"

dtanderson said:
VW and Audi both decided to go with Sirius exclusively
VW and Audi both? VW is Audi, you didnt know that?

dtanderson said:
The only exclusive XM has is GM and we all know GM is on the verge of bancruptcy :)
Unless you count Honda. They sell a few cars once in a while, or should I say Honda AND Acura...cause they are BOTH offering XM :p. Also Hyundai is making XM recievers STANDARD equipment.

dtanderson said:
You may want to do some better research.
That's good advice.

Bluebull32 said:
VW and Audi both? VW is Audi, you didnt know that?

Unless you count Honda. They sell a few cars once in a while, or should I say Honda AND Acura...cause they are BOTH offering XM :p. Also Hyundai is making XM recievers STANDARD equipment.

Well Acura is Honda -- You didn't know that? :)

Chado said:
Good point, I would love to see one device that can connect to both XM and Sirius at the same time. I would listen to Sirius in the morning and XM (for baseball) in the afternoon...

I've been begging for this for years. Get me a plug and play unit that gets both and I'll buy it tomorrow, two subscriptions and all. I like baseball AND football. Why do I have to choose? (And I've got no room in my car for another Plug and Play unit and I've got a GM car with that oversized radio slot so the DIM adapters will look horrible if someone wanted to suggest a new head unit with Sirius built in)

Get creative... I would have no problems fitting an XM radio in my Honda. Not built into the HU either. It wouldn't look like crap either. But someone would have to buy the radio and the subscription as I know it wouldn't be worth it.

I've already got 63000 miles on my Aurora, so I'll consider it for my next ride as I will probably be upgrading to a newer vehicle sometime in the next 12-18 months (we buy cream puffs coming off 2 yr. leases for new vehicles: 24000 miles on a car for 50% of the original cost - burn it up to 80,000 miles, dump it for 10% of the original cost, : voila 40 cents on the dollar buys you 4 years worth of driving, and you get fresh wheels more often).....

I had XM for 2 years, in the car and a XM2go deal.

Being a Stern Fan, I waited until January and got an S50. I have since found the SIRIUS channels to be more enjoyable. Along with HS, I am getting to like Jay Thomas. ( I must say, however, that XM 150 blows away SIRIUS "Raw Dog")

I have since cancelled the XM2go subscription (XM had a fit, I had to tell them I was giving it to my nephew for them to stop lowing the monthly fee).

The choice is really up to you. Either way, as others have said, you can rest assured that once you go with one, you will rarely go back to FM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)