I would call it theft! Any suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I purchased what seemed to be a Pansat 3500SD at the Dayton Hamvention from an individual a few months ago. Pansat box and docs, sealed packing and all.

Just curious. Did you buy it from one of the dealers inside the building, or did you get it from the flea market outside the building in Dayton? I bought some satellite gear while I was at the Hamvention, but I bought it from Sadoun who has a good reputation here on SatelliteGuys.. I'm just wondering if I should be on the lookout next time I'm in Dayton to ensure that I'm not buying knockoff equipment.

Just curious. Did you buy it from one of the dealers inside the building, or did you get it from the flea market outside the building in Dayton? I bought some satellite gear while I was at the Hamvention, but I bought it from Sadoun who has a good reputation here on SatelliteGuys.. I'm just wondering if I should be on the lookout next time I'm in Dayton to ensure that I'm not buying knockoff equipment.

I purchased it outside, a few rows over from Sadoun. I bought a Fortec 180 and motor from them (works)! This is what I was going to use the 3500SD with that I sent to Pansatusa (Panarex). Thing is, I have several different makes of Pansat...2500A, 3500S, 5000HC, and had 2700A. All of which I have accquired from legit sources. The 3500 that I sent to get fixed was identical to the one I have now (took it apart to see what the remote problem could be). The innards were right...and I think I diagnosed the problem to being excessive solder at a few points and stranding of the solder. Too much for me to worry about, so I sent it in to get fixed. My point in saying all of this is, all I have is "THEIR WORD" that this was a counterfiet receiver. Anyway. I did get a call into the N. Hollywood Division of the LAPD. They actually are going to assign a detective to look into this. I really didn't expect this, I thought they would laugh me off the phone. Anyway...will keep you informed if anything should come of this. Thanks for the support guys.

Very interesting, please keep us informed. When you have some kind of third party involvement such as the customs or post office involved then there are a few more checks and balances involved which will help keep the copyright owner strict about their record keeping and standards enforcement. In this case we are going on their word, which had better stand up under close inspection.

In this case it will be interesting to see whether the manufacturer has kept good records about this and other cases of denial of warranty service or other support. It's all very well to be sensitive about boxes that may have been tampered with but at the same time there are a lot of us out here who expect warranties and general support to be honoured.

You have done us all a service. I hope that this manufacturer's ears are burning right now and that the word of our discontent gets back to the right places. Good luck!

Anyway. I did get a call into the N. Hollywood Division of the LAPD. They actually are going to assign a detective to look into this. I really didn't expect this, I thought they would laugh me off the phone. Anyway...will keep you informed if anything should come of this. Thanks for the support guys.

I hope they get it back for you. I can understand a company wanting to go after someone who is selling cheap knock-offs of their stuff, but they have no right to take your property. If you bought a cheap knock off, you're stuck with it. They can deny support, but they have no right to take it from you. I've never heard of such a thing.

I just purchased a Pansat 2700a in July. Issues like this make me regret it. Mine was from a known dealer I have used for years.

Makes a thought in the back of my head about what if I had a problem and somehow it was a clone. I'm sure it isn't, but sounds like aggravation I don't need.

I bought my Pansat last December from an authorized dealer. Mine was dropped shipped from Panarex so I know it's legit. What Im reading don't make me happy with Pansat though. I don't think they have the right to keep your property legit or whatever. I understand where they are coming from but I'd be pissed if that happened to me.

What I would do is get some legal advice as per Panarex's rights vs yours and proceed from there. I would try to get in touch with some people higher up at Panarex and see what they can do to resolve this issue.

Know your legal rights and proceed accordingly reminding Pansat when they try to overstep theres.

Edited: (Kept reading posts.)

Glad you got the Police involved. Sometimes having that leverage can give you more bargaining power. Just keep logs of all conversations with everyone so no one can pull a fast one. Good documentation can go a long way.

Best of Luck :)

Larceny after TRUST

I think you are a VICTUM of FRAUD. reguardless of where the unit came from you still own it and if they keep it it is theft. The seller stold your money and the company has now stolen your receiver.

I suspect a summons from your LOCAL small claims court would losse up yopur receiver from them. A letter from your attorney likely would hasten the receivers return.

well i'm not the legal eagle but this is from their site
"

so it sounds like you do have grounds to get another unit, you just have to find a common ground to get it. and i will stand corrected .... after reading their return policy........ it only talks about software it doesn't mention clones (it does in the faq) ..... so you should be entitled to the return of your unit or a replacement. i would think

i would suspect your right here , they think they have the legal right to but since its not mentioned in their return policy. i would suspect they don't have a right to keep it only to ask to keep it ( and hence conpensate you for your loss while they keep the unit)

Of course, the problem with involving an attorney is the value (or lack thereof) of the receiver (especially a non-functioning clone receiver) makes retaining a lawyer a bad financial deal. I'm quite sure that the perps are aware of this fact.

I haven't gotten into this discussion because I am not a lawyer, but I know what I have done in the past and it has worked.

Most states have reciprocity in their small claims courts which means you could file a suit in small claims court where you live against Panarex with a cost of about $25.00. You would have to do all the leg work etc yourself. (summons etc.) They would then have to hire a representative to defend themselves against you in your court. (long distance for them)

Since they probably won't do that, you have an automatic win if you don't get carried away and try for excessive damages etc. That gives you a judgment against them that allows you to do many things to collect either your unit or your money including the filing fee.

I did it once to a company in Florida who guaranteed my money back in writing if the software product was not acceptable to me. $2500.00 was the cost. As soon as I got the judgment and produced it for them they sent me a cashiers check.

May work for you.

Fred

Filing a formal complaint with the state Attorney General office may produce the desired results. The A.G. will not act as a lawyer on your behalf, but they do have authority to investigate consumer issues and play a role in regulation of commerce. Rigid company policies may suddenly become more flexible upon receipt of a letter of inquiry from the A.G.

Issues related to what some view as the graymarket nature of FTA equipment may work in your favor - the attention of regulatory agencies is probably something this company is keen to avoid.

I suggest filing with the A.G. in each jurisdiction involved - i.e. your home state, the state where the sale took place, and the state your receiver was shipped to. Search the web for the appropriate procedures and forms.

Q: Does Pansat USA in fact have standing in this case? Does Pansat USA hold rights to the design of the 3500, or are they only a so called "sales and service center"?

It could be that Pansat USA is a totally separate corporate entity from Panarex and therefore has no more right to seize a counterfeit 3500 than your local jeweler has a right to seize a counterfeit Rolex when it is brought to him for repair.

This is great fellas! This truely gives me ideas as how to proceed with a little effort. I just might be able to wrestle this out yet!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)