I would like some questions answered before I switch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikesworldus

Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I am thinking about switching to DirectTV from Dish, and I have a few questions about their current deals before I make a decision.

I plan on getting their HD reciever deal on their website (free after instant online rebate and 2-year commitment). What reciever do they give you for that? Is it the new H20 or is it the H10? And do they give you a 3lnb dish or the new 5lnb? I have a Dish 811 right now, is the H20 better or worse than it?

I keep seeing that they offer the HD package for free for the first 3 months. After the third month, can that package be cancelled so I don't have to pay for it? The HD pack seems like a waste of money right now...

Also I've seen on some parts of their site and their cost calculator that they also offer the first 3 months of programming for $29.99 a month as well as HBO, Starz, and Showtime for the first 3 months free! Is that all also included? And are the movie packages cancellable as well if I decide I don't like them after 3 months?

They say on their site that standard professional installation is included. How does that work if it's purchased online? Do they setup an appointment for an installation with your equipment?

I take my RV camping every few months or so, and I usually take my 811 and a spare dish with me. Can that be done with DirecTV? I also wouldn't like to take down my dish from the roof every time i go, so how much is another dish? Can my existing dish network 1lnb dish work with DirecTV?

Are there any better deals available other than what they offer on their site? Does Value Electronics offer anything different? I would prefer to keep with the instant rebate, but I'm open for other options.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I am thinking about switching to DirectTV from Dish, and I have a few questions about their current deals before I make a decision.
I plan on getting their HD reciever deal on their website (free after instant online rebate and 2-year commitment). What reciever do they give you for that? Is it the new H20 or is it the H10? And do they give you a 3lnb dish or the new 5lnb? I have a Dish 811 right now, is the H20 better or worse than it?
I keep seeing that they offer the HD package for free for the first 3 months. After the third month, can that package be cancelled so I don't have to pay for it? The HD pack seems like a waste of money right now...
Also I've seen on some parts of their site and their cost calculator that they also offer the first 3 months of programming for $29.99 a month as well as HBO, Starz, and Showtime for the first 3 months free! Is that all also included? And are the movie packages cancellable as well if I decide I don't like them after 3 months?
They say on their site that standard professional installation is included. How does that work if it's purchased online? Do they setup an appointment for an installation with your equipment?

I just got hooked up/installed today,swapped out my leased 811 for a H20 that I now own after the rebate.As far as 811 vs. H20 pq,the H20 looks real good but its close hd wise, however Universal HD looks real good as does Discovery HD. SD wise I would say the H20 looks better.No re-boots yet all local channels program info guides are working as they should.I also got all the free and discounted promo stuff and yes you can choose not to have the movie packs as well as the hd packs after the 3 months are up.At least thats what the CSR told.Order online that kind of confused me as well,but thats what you do,got my equipment in 3 days.A local installer will be forwarded with your info and be contacting you as to when you want to set up an install date within a day or two of your equipment being shipped.I did get the three lnb receiver and was told when HD locals become available in my DMA that upgrade should be free if needed to the 5 lnb {AT9}.The only REAL difference that I saw right away comparing D* and E* ,I will say that the remotes and program guide are more user friendly with DISH.But I do see some things I like from D* that are better as well. I cant help you much as far as the RV ?????s.Good Luck with.I can also say it took me 30mins. to cancel my account with DISH keep getting all of those why are you leaving questions from 4 different people there.

An update on the pq of the H20,I am watching the b-ball games on ESPN and ESPN2HD and they are frekking great !!!!!!!!!!! I am impressed......:clap

Last edited:
mikesworldus said:
I take my RV camping every few months or so, and I usually take my 811 and a spare dish with me. Can that be done with DirecTV? I also wouldn't like to take down my dish from the roof every time i go, so how much is another dish? Can my existing dish network 1lnb dish work with DirecTV?
Are there any better deals available other than what they offer on their site? Does Value Electronics offer anything different? I would prefer to keep with the instant rebate, but I'm open for other options.
Thanks everyone for your help!

In regards to the h10 or h20, it all depends on what they bring you. you can order it online from a website sponser and get the h20, but if I came to your house tommorrow, i would bring you a H10, cause thats what we have in stock and we are trying to get rid of them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts