I would like to know about being an installer

I am not going to ague the point of who is good and who is poor, but I am a retailer and our averages are the other way, we see more DNS jobs that need fixing than retailers or independent contractors. You are right we all need to step it up!!

Wow.. I missed this thread yesterday and it's exploding.

DON'T DO IT! The work and annoying junk you put up with just isn't worth the trouble. You can prob make more at a fast food place than doing this line of work. I've not read all through all the posts but it looks like many have covered it by saying RUN AWAY!!

You may want to talk to different retailers too. Some retailers may pay pretty good money for a good tech. We are a retailer and we always believed that if we paid our techs more than the average retailer we would have better service out of them. It's held true for the most part. It can be hard for a retailer to find a good quality tech, it doesn't seem to be a desired job for most people. It can really suck here in Iowa with the unpredictable weather, hell, it's snowing right now!

Frank7004 said:
Promotion with dish today is pure luck, nothing else.

I don't totally agree with you. I believe luck is involved to a degree. But you also have to put in the effort.

But the new incentive program (pi) while somewhat better than the old stack ranking, is also not so great in many ways.

To get the best score in all areas is next to impossible.

Shoot, i havent even taken a look at my pi score since it started getting posted.

dvrexpander said:
Wow.. I missed this thread yesterday and it's exploding.

DON'T DO IT! The work and annoying junk you put up with just isn't worth the trouble. You can prob make more at a fast food place than doing this line of work. I've not read all through all the posts but it looks like many have covered it by saying RUN AWAY!!

Somebodies got to do it!!! Lol

Statistically speaking meeting dish requirements is for most part luck. It is Dependant on the route that you are given. where the route is and the demographics of the route. example connectivity, How many people actually have a phone line, If the community has a large % of elderly that will have problems operating the remote or DVR. the list goes on. But because of the requirements there is no consistency.

As long as there are people willing to do the work cheap, we will continue to see the pay drop and the rules change to benefit the satellite company. The big companies will do what they can get away with and keep pushing the limit until they can't push anymore.

i work for dns fss4 made over 80k installing is easy just dish is a pain to work for but money makes it worth it been with dns over 10 yrs and havent ever made under 40k 4day wrk week 3weeks vac 1 week sick pay i know people with masters degree and dont make what i make or get a 4 day week it is what u make it

I don't totally agree with you. I believe luck is involved to a degree. But you also have to put in the effort.

But the new incentive program (pi) while somewhat better than the old stack ranking, is also not so great in many ways.

To get the best score in all areas is next to impossible.

Shoot, i havent even taken a look at my pi score since it started getting posted.

Yea, I only saw my pi because the I'm emailed it to me. I'm perfectly ok with 9 points

vash1090 said:
Yea, I only saw my pi because the I'm emailed it to me. I'm perfectly ok with 9 points

Pi is a flat incentive right. So i'd love to compare our incentive out here based on yours out there, especially with the drastic difference in hourly. I think its supposed to be the same nation wide.,

Ours is:

0-5 = 0
6-7 = 80
8-9 = 120
10-11= 160
12-16= 200

Let me know if its the same or adjusted for your market. Thnx.

i work for dns fss4 made over 80k installing is easy just dish is a pain to work for but money makes it worth it been with dns over 10 yrs and havent ever made under 40k 4day wrk week 3weeks vac 1 week sick pay i know people with masters degree and dont make what i make or get a 4 day week it is what u make it

I don't see a lick of truth in this post! The few and I do mean FEW installers that are GROSSING over 35K a year work their butts off long hours and whatever.

dvrexpander said:
I don't see a lick of truth in this post! The few and I do mean FEW installers that are GROSSING over 35K a year work their butts off long hours and whatever.

Fss3 here and I easily gross over 35k!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dish2468 said:

What is fss4 and could you describe step by step how to get the job you described?

Dishman, $48k in (most of) California is chump change, correct?
Dish pays different location depending. We had a guy transfer from our location to cali and took a huge pay raise. The only part is, his cost of living also went up.

Don't tell this guy (the OP) that he can get into this magical job of installing satellite dishes and become some wealthy sole like its the best kept secret. It's not.

Frank7004 said:
Dish pays different location depending. We had a guy transfer from our location to cali and took a huge pay raise. The only part is, his cost of living also went up.

Don't tell this guy (the OP) that he can get into this magical job of installing satellite dishes and become some wealthy sole like its the best kept secret. It's not.

Okay, i just stated what i made in a year. Its not magical. I work in one of the highest paid markets in the country. DNS starts insrallers in my area at 18/hr.

That being said, if you get on with DNS you WILL be working over time. I rarely work less than 10 hours a day, 11-14 is the norm (4 days a week) you will be working atleast half the weekend, if not both saturday and sunday. Like me i work friday to monday. Off tue to thur. You will be working your butt off. This job is not for lazy people.

If you don't like working in the heat, the cold, the rain, snow, wind and dark, do not apply. If you don't want to crawl under people's houses or in thier attics, do not apply. If you don't like dealing with people, do not apply. If you don't want to work hard, do not apply. If you want good health insurance, do not apply DNS has lousy coverage.

If what you are looking for is a stable job in a controlled enviroment with excellent pay, do not apply.

Does that sum it up well enough for ya, Frank? Did i leave anything out?

Feel free to correct me if you tjink im wrong.

A buddy took off to cali when he heard teachers made 80k out there. he was back 1 year later- realized he was actually making less than the 40k he got here.

Okay, i just stated what i made in a year. Its not magical. I work in one of the highest paid markets in the country. DNS starts insrallers in my area at 18/hr.

That being said, if you get on with DNS you WILL be working over time. I rarely work less than 10 hours a day, 11-14 is the norm (4 days a week) you will be working atleast half the weekend, if not both saturday and sunday. Like me i work friday to monday. Off tue to thur. You will be working your butt off. This job is not for lazy people.

If you don't like working in the heat, the cold, the rain, snow, wind and dark, do not apply. If you don't want to crawl under people's houses or in thier attics, do not apply. If you don't like dealing with people, do not apply. If you don't want to work hard, do not apply. If you want good health insurance, do not apply DNS has lousy coverage.

If what you are looking for is a stable job in a controlled enviroment with excellent pay, do not apply.

Does that sum it up well enough for ya, Frank? Did i leave anything out?

Feel free to correct me if you tjink im wrong.

Nope, that about sums it up. I will say:

-It can be enjoyable.
-Every day is different.
-Every customer is different.
-You never know what the day will bring.
-Working by yourself can be very enjoyable.
-As an installer, its a proven "recession proof" job.
-This job is a not a job anyone can do

I think that as an installer, Dish could be a great place to work, long term. (just like att, etc)
I know that only a few years ago, the turn over rate was insane. Today it has slowed down considerably. That said, it has made strides to be a better work place.

If Dish could bring the pay up a bit, offer better benefits and create a more "family friendly" work schedule, I think it would be a huge improvement and would retain employees.

The work environment (peoples homes) will always remain the same. It takes a certain type of person to do this job and that too will never change.

I actually enjoy the job. I wouldn't paint this illusion it is some best kept secret job, however. Things can always be improved on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)