IBM stance on CELL's low yeilds- LUCKY!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
IBM stance on CELL's low yeilds- NORMAL!?!

I found this article to be interesting about the low CELL production: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060713074825.html

Seems IBM feels 10% to 20% yields are not bad? They seem to feel like CELL chips with only 6 SPEs can be used for other purposes.

Also, IBM clears up so things on the internal workings of the CELL. Seems that there are 8 SPEs not 7. While the PS3 only requires 7. they see other uses for CELLs with all 8 SPE's working and also maybe uses for the ones with 6 SPEs working. Also each SPE has its own 256k cache with the main dual-threaded POWERPC Core having its own 32kb of L1 and 512kb of L2 cache. If one does the numbers the CELL chip has avalible to it in cache with the SPEs alone up to 2meg of cache plus.

While this article is a mixed bag, IMB's take on the CELL's low yields is not negative. Perhaps they see a silver lining someplace? If the CELL actually works then SONY might still get their bacon out of the frying pan. However, they must solve their Blu-Ray problems first. We shall see.:)

Last edited:
Joe,

1. SPE news are very old news.

2. 10-20% yield is very poor.
You might want to read your own link again becauase it is saying it's very bad.

“[Defects] become a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95%. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20%."

The above is a direct quote from the article. Gee, Tk2, I know you are intellegent but do you understand what you are reading? How about not misquoting the articles I post and deal with what is actually being said. I just do not see how you can misquote a quote?

While my intial response to 10 to 20% as being lucky is like 'you've got to be kidding'!, I personally believe that 10 to 20% yields is bad news for Sony when it comes to making the PS3s. And if the yield numbers do not improve forget about PS3's in great quantities.

The article also states that IBM sees other uses for the CELL and also sees uses for CELLS in which only 6 SPEs are functioning. Is it possible that IBM sees a way for SONY to not lose their whole shirt in this process? Who knows. They currently have more problems then CELL production and we still have not seen a PS3 actually working. The wait is still on!!:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts