Ice Cream Sandwich (Android)

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Exactly a week ago the source code for Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) was released to the public.
And even before the first official ICS handsets showed up on the shelves, it has been ported to a bunch of (older) handsets.

The latest member in this list is the 2+ year old HTC HD2 that started its life with Windows Mobile 6.5.
Ice Cream Sandwich ported to older Android devices | The Verge

It must be noted, this is AOSP code.
Meaning, hardware specific acceleration (e.g. Mali-400 in the Galaxy S II) will have to wait for official update.

The tablet version should arrive shortly...

Diogen.

EDIT:
What's interesting, the Honeycomb code was also included in the source dump.
I guess, to make the complains of open source purists go away.
The catch: the Honeycomb specific code isn't flagged as such...

looking forward to this. honeycomb feels like an unfinished product. my opinion anyway.

Those ICS ports are still very raw, alpha level most of the time.
But considering just one week has passed, it is really promising.
CyanogenMod 9 is expected in January...

Diogen.

looking forward to this. honeycomb feels like an unfinished product. my opinion anyway.

You have an android tablet? I thought honeycomb was only released on the tablets. Isn't gingerbread the release that all of the phones are on?

You have an android tablet? I thought honeycomb was only released on the tablets. Isn't gingerbread the release that all of the phones are on?
I also have an android tablet.ics will be for all I believe.and yes I'm typing this from my iPad :D

I have been running an aosp version for a couple weeks on the fascinate, as of today its almost good enough for a daily driver, all the basics are covered, no camera though.....its amazing how fast and how good these developers are. its like having a brand new phone. I would link to the thread on rootzwiki.com but i'm on my phone and to lazy, but if you have a fascinate and are comfortable with Odin and cwr I suggest giving it a try even if just fir the evening.

I tried it on my I9100 for a weekend.
Graphics acceleration can be better. The only complain I have.

I prefer Heimdall...:)

Diogen.

It looks like on-time delivery of ICS had its influence on the dynamic of the Android gadget market.
Despite fierce competition, some big names decided to expand their offerings.
Not in offering new devices but expanding their geography.

First it was Panasonic, now - Lenovo.

It looks like staying out of this "fragmented" market has a bigger downside than getting into the game...

Diogen.

A review of ICS itself, not a gadget running it
...Android 4.0 appears to do exactly what it set out to do: merge the best of two worlds into an attractive package. ... Ice Cream Sandwich feels like a natural evolution for Android, and we have a feeling Matias Duarte & Co. are just getting started.

Diogen.

I wish they would hurry up and put this on the Thunderbolt. Gingerbread has been crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)