Ice Storm

I live in California, and I'm wondering if there's a product to keep all the sunshine and warm weather off of my dish. The beautiful climate can really build up, causing viewers to pick their lazy fat asses up off the couch, turn off their TV's, and go outside. As you can imagine, this causes a lot of blank TV screens. I hear they have a similar problem in Hawaii.

I live in California, and I'm wondering if there's a product to keep all the sunshine and warm weather off of my dish. The beautiful climate can really build up, causing viewers to pick their lazy fat asses up off the couch, turn off their TV's, and go outside. As you can imagine, this causes a lot of blank TV screens. I hear they have a similar problem in Hawaii.

Beware, statements like that might stir the earthquake genie.

Well into the storm now. Still getting 64 on 129tp30 (NFL-HD), 75 on 110tp17 (Disc-HD), with a Dish 1000. No dropouts yet.

Hey guys, don't worry about the ice breaking anything. Very unlikely to happen.
These antennas are made for Buffalo,NY.

If your dish is low enough you can use a hose to spray water on the dish to remove accumulations of ice. If ice accumulates on your dish it can block signal from getting to the LNB but also the weight can shift the alignment of the dish. PAM, automotive wax or deicer sprays can all give temporary help in keeping ice off the dish surface.

And that water doesn't Freeze ? :D :eek:

Hello everyone,

Well just got my install done today and the dish lasted until 6:15pm cst this evening. I'm from muskogee, ok just south east of tulsa and the rain/ice mix kicked up and is really coming down. I haven't got my OTA setup yet, but the cable still works even tho i called to cancel it today and took back my hd/dvr box. I hope after it quits raining my signals will come back :(

I hope after it quits raining my signals will come back :(

Yup - that'll be Monday then :D

I'm in midtown Tulsa .... looking pretty bad right here .. but I've only dropped 3 or 4 points from my regular signal strength so far .. OTA antenna is holding up nicely too ...... for now.

only supposed to get worse tomorrow ....

:eek:

I'm out by eastland and Battle Creek and mine have not dropped at all. It wasn't pretty trying to watch las vegas when channel 2 has 3/4 of the screen filled with all their graphics. I would like to know why they dropped the hd when they are the only station in town that can overlay weather stuff on the digital channel.

Toder I would say your dish may not be peaked very well or you have a bad connector if you have lost signal completely in this weather.

Well I noticed during installation there was never a strong signal to begin with. i think the highest one i saw was around 77. And i'm not sure witch sat that was coming from.

But I have noticed that the precipitation has been heavier here then around Tulsa. We are actually getting ice instead of the sleet you all are getting. My main concern now is that the power will stay on through the weekend . Just glad i have a gas heater and stove incase it does go out.

Will probably ask Dish to prorate these first few days if never comes back on again. Kinda driving me alittle crazy to have a new setup and not being able to use it.

Well I noticed during installation there was never a strong signal to begin with. i think the highest one i saw was around 77. And i'm not sure witch sat that was coming from.

But I have noticed that the precipitation has been heavier here then around Tulsa. We are actually getting ice instead of the sleet you all are getting. My main concern now is that the power will stay on through the weekend . Just glad i have a gas heater and stove incase it does go out.

Will probably ask Dish to prorate these first few days if never comes back on again. Kinda driving me alittle crazy to have a new setup and not being able to use it.

yea it sounds like the installer was lazy or you have alot of obstruction in the way of your signal. im from stillwater and ice is definately everywhere around here and i still have 90 -125 signal quality.id definately call dish and see if u can get it prorated until someone can fix the dish which doesnt look like it will be nice for another 6 days or so.at least we still have power.

Last edited:
Ice has never been a problem for me (have had satellite TV since 97 and have had satellite internet for a year). Snow on the other hand can and does build up and cause problems for me. If dish is on ground it is fairly easy, just swipe snow off. Ice, if it does cause a problem--don't know if we'll even be watching TV, electric might be out lol--would be like cleaning windshield on car, perhaps gently so that you don't knock it out of alignment, even if you know how to get it back, it can be a headache outside in freezing temps.

P.S. I'm in the eye so to speak too, here in Oklahoma. Predicted for 1-2" in my area.

Well the thing is we had freezing rain last night. Which when it makes contact with something it will freeze. Not really having the courage to go check but i'd imagine a major ice build up. And like i said earlier the signals didn't go out until it really started to pour down. I'll probably make an appointment later today for someone to come fix it monday.

The installer put the dish on my roof and there was some trees in the neighbor's yard that he had to aim through. The only good thing that might come from this storm is the neighbor's trees loosing thier branches or just falling over completely. I know last night i was woken up several times to the sound of falling tree branches.

Anyways Still glad i have power just two more days of ice to go through.

Well the thing is we had freezing rain last night. Which when it makes contact with something it will freeze. Not really having the courage to go check but i'd imagine a major ice build up. And like i said earlier the signals didn't go out until it really started to pour down. I'll probably make an appointment later today for someone to come fix it monday.

The installer put the dish on my roof and there was some trees in the neighbor's yard that he had to aim through. The only good thing that might come from this storm is the neighbor's trees loosing thier branches or just falling over completely. I know last night i was woken up several times to the sound of falling tree branches.

Anyways Still glad i have power just two more days of ice to go through.

Seeing as you are looking through trees for the satellite, the weight of the ice covered branches has probably moved the branches into your bore sight.
Should return to what little you had before the storm, after ice melts.

yeah i just checked since the sun is starting to rise and it looks like the branches have fallen into the dishes path. Just about every tree in the neighborhood is weighted down like that and the tree between my front yard and the neighbors has had some huge limbs fall off.

Well i called dish and told about the problem and they told me once the bad weather passes and my signal doesn't come back they'll send a tech out. And also they will prorate the days the dish isn't working.

was sitting on my couch watching cable tv then all of a sudden i heard a loud crashing sound. I go outside and a tree branch has fell on our chimny taking out the top it.

Every ten seconds i hear something else breaking around the neighbor hood. The trees in my way in the neighbor's yard has already taken out his power line. The other pine tree is starting to bend. The top part is almost at 45 degrees.

My dish on the other hand looks fine where it is at, but it is also caked with a half-inch of ice.

Last edited:
I went thru that back in 2000 at our ranch house 70ft pine trees down at Ada snapped and fell on the roof and no power for three weeks. I used the generator long enough to clear things out then closed everything up and headed to the house here in Tulsa. It sucks because there is nothing to do but wait for warm weather and hope each crack you hear is not coming down on your house.

yeah i just checked since the sun is starting to rise and it looks like the branches have fallen into the dishes path. Just about every tree in the neighborhood is weighted down like that and the tree between my front yard and the neighbors has had some huge limbs fall off.

Well i called dish and told about the problem and they told me once the bad weather passes and my signal doesn't come back they'll send a tech out. And also they will prorate the days the dish isn't working.

Sounds like a good response for you from Dish Network.
When all this bad weather is over, you may have gotten lucky with prior branches that were partially blocking your satellite view and end up with a much better signal than before the storm.
Wouldn't hurt to have your dish re-peaked when it is safe to do so.
Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)