Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I can have this dish for free. no idea what size it is, they claim is bigger than 6 ft, does anybody seen this type of dish before?
any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

Attachments

• 3Ed3Ff3M25Ga5F65J4cc19f608f51303e163d.jpg
    3Ed3Ff3M25Ga5F65J4cc19f608f51303e163d.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 3I83m83N55T45F15Jbcc11ef27105590e1b91.jpg
    3I83m83N55T45F15Jbcc11ef27105590e1b91.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 3G33ka3N45E45W25M6cc16b190f9f2c071c27.jpg
    3G33ka3N45E45W25M6cc16b190f9f2c071c27.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 3K83Gc3Id5G15E65Jfcc106659d58d9251f1b.jpg
    3K83Gc3Id5G15E65Jfcc106659d58d9251f1b.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 291
Its an old panel dish, probably made of heavy steel. There's one like it near where I live, but I've never asked for it. If its down and in pieces, take them up on the offer :) ...

Measure the petal from the center of the pie shape to the center of the outer edge x 2 = dish size. If the dish size is 7.5 foot or larger, it is a good candidate for a c-band dish when properly assembled. If smaller than 7.5 foot, think twice before investing to much time and effort as it will not reliably receive the higher FEC S2 type channels.

I can have this dish for free
Get it, if for nothing else, the hardware. A large Ku offset would be a killer Ku set up on the polar mount. (the 2.4m I have is just too big and heavy, but a 1.2 or 1.8, whoohoo)

Well, it's set up for C & Ku.
And from the far shot, I can't believe it's only 8'.
So, I'd put money on 10' diameter.

I would take it for free. Never turn down a mount. :)
Is this your first BUD? Good way to get started!
If the dish works out (don't see why it wouldnt), you're all set.

Might just set it up for C band only.
Oh, and get that pole if possible!
Cut it off at ground level; still plenty left. ;)

Gents, Thanks for the Info, I talked to the owner and he thinks it maybe a 10',if that is the case, I have WSI 6'dish setup for c-band, this new dish will take over and set it up for c-band.
I am hoping this this dish has a name stamped on it and find a manual for it, by looking at the pictures I do not see a adjustment for the Declination angle.
Regards.
Chewie

You should be able to find the adjustment for declination, if it has one. If it was working at one time, and its near your location then it probably is set already. For free, grab it. Even if the dish doesn't work out, you have a mount, a feedhorn with 2 lnbs and an actuator that may be good to use.

Hello Gents
I have the dish at home now, it is a laux beta 9 satellite dish and is heavy, is in very good condition no dents on the panels, I read that is a 1984-85 9' dish.
as far as the Declination Angle adjustment, there is only a bracket with 3 holes on it.
i will take some pictures tomorrow when the rain stops.
Just wonder if any members here are familiar with this dish.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

modify_inline.gif

You haven't mentioned but hopefully you were also able to get the pole that it was mounted on.

It's less common, but I have seen the name come up on the forum.
Might search here and see what you find.

Once you have more pictures, I have no doubt someone will tell how to check/set the declination

After all, this ain't rocket science (any more)! ;)

Declination is easy with these if you realise the following; Some of the original home installed satellite dishes didn't even have declination adjustments. When they quickly realised they needed it, they modified the polar mount brackets by drilling the 3 fixed holes in-line on the top bracket. That allows 3 FIXED settings to get some declination, or down-tilt of the dish. Back when there were only maybe 6 sats or so total (and analog transmission, which isn't as critical as digital) in CONUS orbit, it didn't make much difference, as declination didn't need to be all that close.

So, unless you modify the bracket with some all-thread in place of the 3 holes, just put the bolt through the hole that approximates the amount of declination needed for your location. If that dish was originally located within 25 miles of your house, and set correctly, just leave the ideclination setting were it is now.

Welcome to the Laux Beta 9 owners club, we are few and far between, but proud of our Catches.:cool:

I have those 3 holes for declination also, I never changed it from where it was when I set up the dish. The dish seems to work fine for Ku or c-band. I just use a Bandstacked C-band LNB in there right now.
That thing is like 300 LBS (exact wt unknown) , i used my dishlifter to take it off the old owners pole and to set it on its new home in my back yard grazing with all the rest of the herd.

When I got mine, the buttonhook had slipped, The FD had to be set up from scratch. i cant remember the numbers , but, seems like it ended up 1" less the calculation. I see you do not have the original LNB there,
Its a nice dish, you will be happy with it.
Good find.
Kodaz

hello Gents
Here are some pictures of this dish, I want this dish only for c-band if I can make it work, there is a picture of the arm actuator, I could not find the voltage rating on it.
I will bench test it with 34 vdc, if anybody has something like this, i would like to know if they are any good.
Thanks in advance .
chewie

Attachments

• IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 208
thanks Kodaz, it is heavy dish, the mouth requires a 3.5 in ID pole, the owner did not have the pole any more.
I hope you don't mine if I ask you some questions here and there.
do you have a arm actuator on your dish? if yes, what size?
Thanks is advance.
Chewie.

its dark now, i will try to get your info tomorrow in the daytime, if u have any more questions, post them too.
but- It came with an arm actuator that does not travel the dish far. Do u wish to know the full extension distance?
i can move and measure that in the morning. and get the info , if any , on the actuator. If you do not have one, get a buff one as it is a lot of dish to move. Other folks can make some good suggestions on a powerful actuator. I have never bought one.

Hands-down the easiest and best actuators to still get your hands on are the Venture brand. I would HIGHLY suggest you get the 24" Maxi BALL-SCREW model. http://www.venturemfgco.com/satellite-actuators.html I use one of these myself, and they are the BEST.

https://www.impaktproducts.com/CBand-KuBand-Linear-Dish-and-Solar-Panel-Movers-p-1-c-270.html

You really need a ball screw model with a heavy fiberglas dish such as this. It's worth the extra money right off the bat. I guarantee you, that if you buy one of those clone junk cheap Chinese actuators floating around Ebay, you will most likely be very sorry, very quickly.

So far I got a free 7 1/2 footer and a 10 footer for $50. both of them are about 15-20 years old.
The actuators on both of them worked. I used 2 emergency light batteries connected in series ( 24 volts) to check them.
Without a load a 12 volt car battery should work.

If the actuator works, I would use what came with it.

Mine came with an actuator that extends about 16" , too short for me, but i dont have a better one yet.
just checked it this morning.

Thank you Gents for this information.
Mr. Kodaz, if you don't mind is there any way you can post some pictures of the mount and front of the dish, I would like to use them for assembly reference, one more thing, what size is the post OD?
and how tall is it.
I want to be able to swing this dish from 129W and maybe to 72W.
I have a WSI 6' dish with a 24' actuator and that is all the range I get out of it.
I far as the pole on the 6', the size is about 2' to 2' 3/8, is to small for the new dish, someone suggested to put another pole over of small pole and pour cement in them, but the weight of the new dish makes me wonder.
any suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards.
Chewie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)