Ideal Voom Operation

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
This is how I think Voom would work ideally. I get normal, local cable in my house. It is not through a digital box, or any type of decorder or anything, just straight up normal coaxial. It's channels 2-69 or something.

It would be ideal if I could plug this into my Voom STB OTA input and the Voom STB would map those channels that it receives. I don't see why it cant. The channels are already laid out, and they don't need any type of decoding or whatever.

How is it so different when an antenna picks up a station as opposed to being pumped in over coaxial?

Um... yes it does. Those channels are broadcast by your cable company, and require a standard cable tuner to tune them in. Completely different broadcast scheme than OTA digital.

The STB doesn't have an analog tuner, so it can't tune to "normal" analog channels.

Holy cow! Can you imagine the channel "mapping" fiasco that would create for VOOM!? Not to mention having to deploy an NTSC (cable capable) module to plug into the receiver. That would go completely against the grain of what VOOM is trying to do. Supporting analog signals would be a step backwards for sure.

Just use the analog cable tuner capabilities on your TV. That's why it's there.

What about doing what he says, but using the VOOM STB to decode the digital/HD signals for those channels 2 - 69?? Forget the analog. Should that look transparent to plugging in a OTA cable? (Assuming that the digital/HD signals are carried on cable.)

[I am talking about the STB with channel scanning (when available), not with mapping.]

I am holding out hope that this will work because we don't get OTA here.

Very few cable companies broadcast 8VSB digital locals, and the ones that do, usually rebroadcast them on different channel numbers. The tuner in the VOOM STB can only tune 8VSB (the standard for OTA digital TV). Cable systems use QAM for their digital broadcasting, and is not compatable.

Ah hah, CraziFuzzy. Now I see what you mean. Thanks.

Well, there's no point in hanging onto our analog cable anymore then. We don't watch local channels anyway with VOOM's outrageously better content and PQ. But I was hoping to pipe in HD PBS someday.

I keep basic analog cable just for the digital locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, PBS)...and because it's cheap. I also receive digital locals via OTA, but WB and PBS are on temporary, low-power, antennas and don't come in all too well - they should come in 24/7 after going full-power.

1. Voom - satellite service is carried via 8PSK (VOOM STB)
2. Digital OTA - is broadcast using 8-VSB (ATSC tuner/Voom 8-VSB module)
3. Analog OTA - is broadcast using AM/FM (NTSC tuner)
4. Cable - analog and digital is carried using QAM (QAM tuner/Cable Ready)

A. VOOM STB will decode 1 & 2
B. A Cable Ready TV (been in existance for 20'ish years) will decode 3 & 4
C. OTA STBs will decode 2 and perhaps 3. However, newer models may also decode 4.
D. Cable HD STBs will generally decode 4.

My 2 year old Mits, with Integrated 8-VSB/QAM) digital tuner will decode 2 & 3. Or course, this assumes that cable is being broadcast in-the-clear (unencrypted). My 2 year old Mits also has an analog tuner "Cable Ready" for 3 & 4.

As of this summer, many of the larger HDTVs are supposed to come with an integrated 8-VSB/QAM tuner. The percentage of HDTVs having this tuner is gradually supposed to increase over the next few years until they are all "Digital Cable Ready".

Cable systems can send their HD broadcast locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, PBS) using one of two methods: 8-VSB or QAM. Almost all cable system use QAM since it is my understanding 8-VSB take up too much bandwidth and requires additional equipment at the cable headend.

My cable company is passing broadcast locals through to its customers using unencrypted QAM. I believe the FCC has mandated that all cable companies must do this with their basic tier programming...but I am not certain. Also, my cable company is passing premium channels (HDNET, INHD, HBO-HD, etc.) through to it's customers using encrypted QAM. In this case a Cable HD STB is required to decode them. People think they need to rent an STB from the cable company in order to receive their HD. This in true ONLY if you wish to receive premium channels. All the digitals broadcast locals should be passed through "free of charge" as long as you maintain a basic/lifeline subscription.

Anyway, that's my understanding...please feel free to correct me :p

It's not a mandate (yet) but most companies do. Mine gives me any HD local they broadcast for the absolute bare minimum package.

You can do that with the Dish 6000, there is an option on the local channel mapping what the input to the 8vsb is: OTA, Cable and 2 others I don't recognize, probably a type of cable scheme. I've even run a coax out from my Dish PVR and combined it with my OTA signal and created a Faux Channel 3 and watched my PVR through my 6000.

So, riffjim4069, you laid that out pretty well. Let's see if I get this. My cable co is probably sending HD digital over my analog cable in QAM. The VOOM STB cannot read QAM. I don't need to rent a HD STB from the cable co because I don't want their premium channels (already got enough with VaVaV*). So, does this mean I can *buy* a STB that will decode the HD from the cable QAM signal?

If so, I have no idea what kind of STB. Can you point me to some models out there? This is all new to me.

Hmm. I'm having my local cable pull in channels 2-22 or whatever. It just sucks to have to switch to a different input on my TV to watch those, and then switch back to Voom. I just don't see why voom can't put in a QAM decoder. It can't be that big of a deal.

1080iBeVuMin said:
So, riffjim4069, you laid that out pretty well. Let's see if I get this. My cable co is probably sending HD digital over my analog cable in QAM. The VOOM STB cannot read QAM. I don't need to rent a HD STB from the cable co because I don't want their premium channels (already got enough with VaVaV*). So, does this mean I can *buy* a STB that will decode the HD from the cable QAM signal?

If so, I have no idea what kind of STB. Can you point me to some models out there? This is all new to me.

1. Yep, your cable co is most likely sending DTV locals to you in QAM. I don't know of anyone passing 8-VSB.

2. From what I've heard, some cable companies encrypt DTV locals, while others send it in the clear. I believe the goal is for digital locals to be passed unencrypted.

3. Yep, you can certainly buy a Cable HD receiver, but check with your local cable company before making any purchase to ensure it is approved for their system. This seems like a huge waste of money IMHO since the goal of the FCCs Cable Act is to ensure all digital TVs are eventually Digital Cable Ready.

4. I've never owned nor rented Cable HD receiver. I have only a basic understanding of the various models from info I read on the AVSForum. The following link should point you in the right direction:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179095

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)