Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Hey y'all:
Got a great deal on a Winegard 1M dish, which is much larger than my current Hotdish 75cm (which is starting to rust, and has some folds due to hurricane seasons here in So.Fla.), at a great price.

Some of you might recall that I have my present dish mounted with an SG2100 on a 5 foot (2" OSD) steel fence pole, threaded on the bottom and screwed into a steel flange, which is in turn bolted onto the concrete second floor patio of my house. Cannot get a good LOS if it was on a pole stuck into ground, as we still have several trees (but many less after this past hurricane season - WILMA!!!!) blocking view. Consequently, I could either bolt a mast onto the side of the house (which my wife would not be happy with), or install this baby in a similar fashion (which my wife is fine with, and the HOA cannot complain since it is 1M and wholly within the limits of the 1996 Telecommunications Act). The only problem is that the bolts on the current pole are not securely fastened into the concrete, as it has chipped over the past 2 years from wind activity (hurricanes again, darn it all).

Consequently, I need another suggestion as to how to mount this dish and motor onto a mast on the second floor patio, and this time, I also am insistent on getting it plumb. You can only guess that the slab is not level, as it is built to let the rain from the roof run off into the ground in the back yard below. Accordingly, please take all of these factors into consideration.

Any and all suggestions as to how to get this baby mounted with a motor on the second floor back patio would be appreciated (no screen enclosure, only sheet metal railing system around perimeter of patio). Must definitely take into consideration the need to somehow offset the mast to get it plumb while still being installed by probably bolting the system onto the concrete.

Best regards,
greyskies in sunny South Florida

P.S. - Congrats to Iceberg.

Last edited:
I would use scaffolding anchor plates and jack screws. Fabricate a three legged base that has 2x3 inch rectangular steel tubes spaced 120 degrees on the center pipe.

Anchor the scaffolding anchor pates to the concrete floor with concrete anchors. The screw jacks would allow adjusting the plumb. Also, the system would be totally removable, leaving only the anchor studs to cut off.

Mike500 said:
I would use scaffolding anchor plates and jack screws. Fabricate a three legged base that has 2x3 inch rectangular steel tubes spaced 120 degrees on the center pipe.
Anchor the scaffolding anchor pates to the concrete floor with concrete anchors. The screw jacks would allow adjusting the plumb. Also, the system would be totally removable, leaving only the anchor studs to cut off.

Thanks for the idea. If I am reading you correctly, essentially, you are suggesting that I construct a steel tube based tripod. Yes?

I realize you are in South Carolina, and I am in Florida, but wonder if you could suggest where I could purchase the suggested items. Home Depot? Lowes?

I appreciate your quick suggestion and await your response.

greyskies in sunny South Florida (Yes, its sunny even at night. But it is getting cold, almost down to 65.)

I have used a 2 3/8 dish mount with adjustable struts. Found them on flee bay. I think they were for primestar or starchoice dishes. A primestar adjustable elevation head fits the 2 3/8 mount and makes azimuth adjustments very easy. There are Superdish struts available on Flee Bay now, but I didn't see the whole mount with struts like I have.

If you can't find one I could part with one of my spare ones for a local Satellite Guy, PM me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)