Ideas for my new Theater Room

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Well I'm building a new house and have decided to go with a projector and sell my DLP. Ive had a couple different local companies come out and give me ideas on what they think I should do...

Guy 1:
For wiring the Theater (7.1, projector, cable) and the family room (5.1, Cable) he quoted $1150. Is this to much?

Ben-Q W9000 projector
Harmon-Kardon AVR 247 Reciever
Proficient C660 Speakers
Proficient S12 Sub

Guy 2 comes out to look tuesday but he recomended the Mits HC5000 projector, Ill write more about what he says after he comes and quotes it.

Im wondering what you guys think. The room is very long, but only 16 ft wide, the Projector is going at the end of the room and I was thinking a 106 inch screen. Suggestions please!

If you are building can't you just run it yourself? I know that I wouldn't pay that to run a few wires. When the walls are open it is easy as can be!

I was actually planning on it, I thought the same thing. Its not that hard to run wires. Definately not work 1000+ dollars.

I was actually planning on it, I thought the same thing. Its not that hard to run wires. Definately not work 1000+ dollars.

Like he said ---- DO NOT pay anyone to do something yourself for 800-1000 cheaper. I just bought a house and I am installing everything myself. With no walls -- you can do whatever you want (with some electrical help that is). I am new to this also, and it is going very well for me.

4 hot and very popular models of projectors are

1. Panasonic pt ax100u - displays 720p with one HDMI input for $1400-1600 (unless you buy used from EBAY. Great for rooms with a little to some light

2. Sanyo PLV-Z5 - displays 720p with 2 HDMI and a better warranty than Panny not as bright but sharpness is incredible. $1500-1700

3. Panasonic PT AE 1000u is the best 1080p for around $3000 right now. lumens for any 1080p are not as good as the previous 2.

4. Brand new to the market last week - Epson Powerlite 1080p Home Cinema has had great reviews and will compete with the Panny 1000u for bragging rights in the $3000 range.

Take a look at the Onkyo SX674 receiver -- has HD upconvert with 1 HDMI output to your projector. Amazon just dropped the price to $499 with free shipping

good luck

I have the Sanyo PLV series projector and can vouch 1000% for it. Also, if you have a pool or deck/patio or something similar where you spend quality time like we do, I would also recommend running some L/R speaker wires from the receiver's speaker "B" outputs before drywalling so you can have some very discreetly mounted outdoor speakers to use when you swim, BBQ or entertain. Simply depress the speaker "B" mode on and off as needed. Also, even though some wires and cables may not be needed up front or ever, be sure to pre-run them anyway, and maybe extras/backups too just in case, all in advance; MAKE SURE TO LABEL all the ends as well. Saves the headaches! I did all my pre-wire myself and with you getting the opportunity pre-drywall, IMHO better quality in-wall L/R surrounds and rears can be found much cheaper than like quality "boxes". I think they also look better, sound tighter, and make a much more pro-looking home theater.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts