Identification help pls- Two 7.5' BUD's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
Greetings,

Recently, while I was at my place in TN, I came into procession of two 7.5' BUD's.

The first one, a gray colored dish was rescued from a trash pile by a friend and given to me. It's in rough shape. At least one entire petal needs to be replaced or maybe two. Several other pieces of mesh will be required. I would like to ID it before getting any deeper into it. It is made up of 4 petals and each petal has 5 ribs. There are 4 LNBF support arms and they attach to the outside perimeter of the dish. The outside perimeter where the mesh attaches is unique as it has small angle lip that captures the mesh. I hope the pictures attached of a cross section of the perimeter section will help ID this dish. The mount appears rather robust for this size dish and perhaps the mount will give away the dish ID.

The second dish, is black colored and in very good shape. It may be a keeper. It is made up of 3 petals and each petal has 7 ribs. This dish has only 3 LNBF support arms and they attach approx 6" in from the outside perimeter. There is no angle lip on the outside perimeter. The mount is a little less hefty than the first dish above.

Neither dish has an intermediate support ring.

What two dishes do I have?

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I swapped polar mounts from two 10' mesh dishes last year that were like yours, the better dish had the poorer mount. Either way save both polarmounts, even if you trash the wrecked dish.

Good find!

I swapped polar mounts from two 10' mesh dishes last year that were like yours, the better dish had the poorer mount. Either way save both polarmounts, even if you trash the wrecked dish.

Good find!

Thanks! I am sorta a pack rat anyway so I'll save as much as I can for another day or another member to use. The mounts will not swap. That is not without some serious layout, cutting and welding. One (gray) is a 4 point mount and the other (black) a 3 point.

That is kinda why I want to try to find out who made em.

Just as a guess, the grey one looks a lot like my Sami brand dish - the one in my avatar..

Ok, thanks. I was just on another web site looking at the Sami dish line. The 7.5' model is shown with an intermediate ring. Perhaps an earlier 7.5' version did not have the intermediate ring?

The ID search is narrowing........

First let me thank those of you who have responded here and off list. Thanks

It appears the gray dish is a discontinued model either if it is a Winegard or a Perfect 10. Replacement parts seem to scarce as hens teeth, so a rehab of this dish probably isn't going to happen.

I have spoken to the good folk at Superior Antenna Manufacturing Inc regarding my black dish and they told me that they did indeed make a 7.5', 3 panel dish. It was called a SAMI TriStar and was discontinued in the late 1990's. It also was fitted with 3 LNBF support arms. However unlike the dish with 7 ribs per panel I am trying to ID, their dish had only 6 ribs per panel. Further, they commented my dish might have been made by the Odom company but could not be sure.

So, for those of following along at home, does anyone have an 7.5' Odom and care to compare?

The search continues.

I have a ODOM 10 Ft. dish both ODOM (ODOM Antennas, Inc) and Sami are Arkansas dish makers , at one time i thought they were the same or a split off the same company but i don't know. I do know that ODOM went out of buisness in 1998.

I have a 7 1/2 ft Unimesh dish that looks like your damaged dish except it has an intermediate support ring.its black in color. the panels have 5 ribs and it has 4 support poles for the lnbf.

I also have a Home Cable Concepts dish that looks like your black dish.... now i suspect that Home Cable Concepts never made dishes but just rebranded them. its also a 7 1/2 ft dish with three lnbf support arms and the mesh panels are 7 ribbed with no intermediate support rings. its a parts dish now due to damage (2 good panels). and its grey in color.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.......sorta

I have a ODOM 10 Ft. dish both ODOM (ODOM Antennas, Inc) and Sami are Arkansas dish makers , at one time i thought they were the same or a split off the same company but i don't know. I do know that ODOM went out of buisness in 1998.
The nice lady I spoke with at Superior Antenna Manufacturing Inc (SAMI) mentioned something about a possible connection between the two companies but she was unsure of the details as it was before her time at SAMI.

I have a 7 1/2 ft Unimesh dish that looks like your damaged dish except it has an intermediate support ring.its black in color. the panels have 5 ribs and it has 4 support poles for the lnbf.
The absence of a intermediate support ring and rib count has eliminated quite a few dishes from the comparison. My damaged grey dish is headed to the storage shed for parts.

I also have a Home Cable Concepts dish that looks like your black dish.... now i suspect that Home Cable Concepts never made dishes but just rebranded them. its also a 7 1/2 ft dish with three lnbf support arms and the mesh panels are 7 ribbed with no intermediate support rings. its a parts dish now due to damage (2 good panels). and its grey in color.
Now that you mention it, I took a look at the receiver that I got with the black dish. Lo and behold, its a HCC 90. Doh! When I got it, I just put it in the truck and forgot it.
So, it appears we both have a dish of the same pedigree only different colors. Whatever brand they may be.
Were you able to use your dish before the damage?
If so, how did it perform?

Thanks for your information,
Mike

Your second dish, the black one, is identical to a 7 1/2 foot Odom that I have. The 3 panel 7 ribs per panel, Lnb support arms about 6 inches in from edge, and even the mount is the same. I get good quality C and Ku band on it.

Your second dish, the black one, is identical to a 7 1/2 foot Odom that I have. The 3 panel 7 ribs per panel, Lnb support arms about 6 inches in from edge, and even the mount is the same. I get good quality C and Ku band on it.

Thanks! That nails it. Odom it is.:) Thanks for the info.:up

1) Upon disassembly of the gray dish, I discovered a KTI logo on a center plate. The plate plate had been installed inside out and was hidden until disassemled. I thought someone would like to know.

2) A forum member asked me to reopen the thread. He wants to try to ID the black dish mount. He has several similar mounts.

Good morning MJAC

Here is some pictures of a 3-leg an 3-panel Sami dish on a polar mount.

Attachments

• Satellite 001.JPG
    Satellite 001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • Satellite 002.JPG
    Satellite 002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
  • Satellite 003.JPG
    Satellite 003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
to me these look identical to your black dish. 7.5 ft mesh dishes i scored around home in sk canada. they are badged startrek but im sure its just rebadging. i thought they were sami's at first but looking at the last pic and mine is nothing like it.

crackt out,

Attachments

• bud2.jpg
    bud2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 157
  • bud4.jpg
    bud4.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Unfortunately the only picture I have of my black dish is the one in the first post of this thread. Laying on my garage floor in TN it is hard to see the absence of an intermediate support ring. The text of my post notes no support ring. While my black dish bears a strong resemblance to a SAMI, 7.5' SAMI's were made with a intermediate support ring. The rib count also differs from my black dish.
Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)