If an antenna works most of the time, could it still be overloaded from amplification?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
There were some weather issues lately, but I also put in a small distribution amp in addition to my pre-amp. Could that affect this? I unhooked the distribution amp. Most of the time everything comes in. So if everything comes in most of the time, it's not overloaded right?

So with the distribution amp removed, everything comes in, but only most of the time. Did I get that right?
Could be overload from a near transmitter. Could be that their just too weak during a portion of the day. Normal daily propagation cycle.
In order to take an educated guess as to 'what's what' would have to know the signal levels you're in, and the specifications of the antenna(s) and amplifiers used.
But you should be able to figure out if it's overload by taking out an amp when a signal disappears, If it's overload, it should then come back in. It wouldn't if it's just too weak.

Reactions: andy_horton
Check if when the screen blacks out whether or not the signal meter on the TV is maxed out, or at zero. Maxed out with a black screen, high probability it's overloaded. Zero or low signal, probably just too weak.

I don't know if using two amps would not degrade the signal rather than amplify it.
I don't have a pre-amp. I have a $20 GE 25db amp at the end of the cable run inside the house. From the amp I have a Channel Plus 2532 2-way splitter/combiner delivering the signal to two TVs. At the end of one of the cables I have another Channel Plus 2532 splitting the signal between one of the TVs and Sony radio receiver. All this did not degrade the signal strength at all from feeding only one tv from the GE amp. GE amp improves the signal by about 2 bars.
Amplified distribution amp might be an issue. Connect a quality splitter and see the results. Make sure the splitter is for TV only up to 1000 MHz not more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts