If Dish charges $1.99 per network, how much would your programming cost?

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
A dollar and 99 cents is the number I am seeing thrown around for an a la cart pricing structure. Just wondering IF Dish was to ever go this route how many networks would you purchase? Think about this and add it up. It may be cheaper on some people to keep the current pricing model.

My bill would be cut in half. Maybe more.
noooo the cost of hardware would double(you would be paying an unsubsidized rate)..not to mention all the new "fees" that would be invented.....program guide fee..change batteries in remote fee...at the end of the day your bill would be the same

With the oncoming competition being mostly cloud based, Dish will have to meet their hardware/service fees to stay relevant. All the providers will have the same content cost, the battle will be in the hardware/service charges.

Enjoy this line of conjecture.

Related to this--I recently switched from VZW to Ting for my family's phone plan. Initial hardware costs for 3 low-end slider smartphones was $600. Our minutes/data plan was immediately reduced from $100 to $50. The hardware has already paid for itself, and we're out from under a VZW contract that would have required approx. $200 monthly for the same service.

--Sorry not an ad for Ting, but I mean to say that at some point the TV industry must have some equivalent of this kind of of market competition.

Higher programming cost for me.

With just my networks it would be cheaper, add in my mates networks and then the kids choices and we are looking at higher cost and less programming. bummer.

noooo the cost of hardware would double(you would be paying an unsubsidized rate)..not to mention all the new "fees" that would be invented.....program guide fee..change batteries in remote fee...at the end of the day your bill would be the same

You should be charged to change your batteries if you require a service call to change your batteries, or even have a tech show up to show you that you put your batteries in backwards. I'm just saying.

Probably $16 to $20 then equipment costs, which would most certainly be above the current fees.

I have at least 6 channels that I watch at most 1 hour per week each. To me, the channel model is obsolete. Give me metered usage with fully open channel access and I'll have full control on how much or little money I spend. Even tiered meter usage would be better than none. Then the networks could be paid by actual viewership and ratings, not by some arbitrarily extorted bundled subscriber fee.

I have at least 6 channels that I watch at most 1 hour per week each. To me, the channel model is obsolete. Give me metered usage with fully open channel access and I'll have full control on how much or little money I spend. Even tiered meter usage would be better than none. Then the networks could be paid by actual viewership and ratings, not by some arbitrarily extorted bundled subscriber fee.

Don't fall asleep on some channel you don't watch much.:D I feel your tiered suggestion neilson or some other ratings gatherer,would have to have a camera installed in the receiver,to see if your actually watching and not snoozing.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)