If E* can add HD, why haven't they???

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
It has been mentioned by Scott that contracts have been completed for some channels. It's also been said that there will be new national HD in April. If this is true, why not turn them on now? Waiting is only hurting them.

IMHO, it looks like they can't add them and are only trying to slow the defection to D* by making us think they can.

From what I have heard is the ball is in E*'s court. USA and SCIFI are currently on 110 and can be lit up, but why they havent? Ask Charlie. He's the only one who knows. I know what I would have done is I would have lit up Scifi and USA 6 months ago, When Sky A went down this week, now would be a great time to launch Disney HD, Espn News HD and Toon Disney HD. THat would have made everyone happy and kept subs at bay. But unfortunatly, thats not how things were done, Churn is high for dish. There have been reports over in the warzone and D* forum here of people making the jump and realizing that D* isnt too bad. Some have even said that the HR20 and 21, Compares to the 622 in many ways! Say it aint so!

I cant remember who said it, but they said that the only thing they regret was waiting to make the switch. I think charlie needs new eyes from the coustomer standpoint as he has lost touch with his coustomer base and what the visions and goals of dish are suppost to be.

Just look when E* finally added TBS-HD! Everybody was begging for it in time for the MLB playoffs and they didn't launch it until three games into it. I got a lovely recorded phonecall informing me of the 'good news' the day after the Cubs were eliminated. It was like..."What the....":confused:

Anyway, with that in mind...I suggest a realistic perspective when it comes to expectations that E* is going to add SciFi-HD in time for BSG this Friday...they seem to consistantly be 'too little to late' more often than not...

Right now I still think it's too early to count anything out so at this point we will half to wait see what this month brings.

Just look when E* finally added TBS-HD! Everybody was begging for it in time for the MLB playoffs and they didn't launch it until three games into it. I got a lovely recorded phonecall informing me of the 'good news' the day after the Cubs were eliminated. It was like..."What the....":confused:

Anyway, with that in mind...I suggest a realistic perspective when it comes to expectations that E* is going to add SciFi-HD in time for BSG this Friday...they seem to consistantly be 'too little to late' more often than not...

and TBS HD was added because Bob (the poster above you) put E* on the spot. Otherwise we'll probably still be waiting for it.

I agree they've been generally adding them too late.. after the reason to have it.. then we wind up with a useless channel (aka TBS) .. timing is everything and they don't seem to be on the ball with that.. directv seems to be the better option lately..

Right now I still think it's too early to count anything out so at this point we will half to wait see what this month brings.

Waiting is all we have been doing since the last national was added.

It has been mentioned by Scott that contracts have been completed for some channels. It's also been said that there will be new national HD in April. If this is true, why not turn them on now? Waiting is only hurting them.

IMHO, it looks like they can't add them and are only trying to slow the defection to D* by making us think they can.

As I've said many times before, no one who posts here knows the real story. It's all wishin' and hopin'; given that, however, ask yourself why Charlie should turn them on; as long as he isn't losing many subscribers there's no reason to spend more money on channels, at least there's no reason to agree to a contract that isn't on his terms.

If/when more people start leaving, THEN he'll care.

and TBS HD was added because Bob (the poster above you) put E* on the spot. Otherwise we'll probably still be waiting for it.

Definitely my thanks to Bob! But in all honestly, responding to customer demand in general does not seem to be something E* holds to a high priority.

From what I have heard is the ball is in E*'s court. USA and SCIFI are currently on 110 and can be lit up, but why they havent? Ask Charlie. He's the only one who knows. I know what I would have done is I would have lit up Scifi and USA 6 months ago, When Sky A went down this week, now would be a great time to launch Disney HD, Espn News HD and Toon Disney HD. THat would have made everyone happy and kept subs at bay. But unfortunatly, thats not how things were done, Churn is high for dish. There have been reports over in the warzone and D* forum here of people making the jump and realizing that D* isnt too bad. Some have even said that the HR20 and 21, Compares to the 622 in many ways! Say it aint so!

I cant remember who said it, but they said that the only thing they regret was waiting to make the switch. I think charlie needs new eyes from the coustomer standpoint as he has lost touch with his coustomer base and what the visions and goals of dish are suppost to be.

I have to agree with you. The churn rate is getting larger every quarter. Dish promotions are very weak and now having a 24-month commitment before jumping ship. Dish is starting to lose the long-term customer (the credit savvy individuals). Your long term customers are your most profitable customers because they are not using rebates, upgrades, etc. Dish is just plan terrible at customer service (is improving), but the communication is awful. Dish has the worst PR staff in the nation.

I want Dish and Direct to be competitive. It helps the customer. If anyone looks at the newswire, everyone fighting with Dish. Dish is now 3rd largest pay-tv provider. It could fall to fourth. Is Dish losing its buying power?

The financial reports will tell you what's up. Come on Dish. Deliver!

I don't know why Dish is waiting. But I can tell you the defection rate isn't as bad as some of you think. Maybe the rate is high among those of us here who are really watching it. But for the broad public out there its not really that high. And for those that have defected most are finding that DirecTV is not really that evil monster that some Dish fan boys would have you believe.. The HR20/21 is really a pretty good product which does most everything that the Dish HDDVR's do.. They do things that the Dish 622/722 don't do. So in some ways they are actually better.. They loose on a few things like two room capibility, PIP, and DLB. But you weigh all that together, they come out pretty even.. So it's not an evil machine.

But I sure wish Dish would wake up whoever is steering the ship.. Cause it looks like it's on a course that could cause a big crash.

During 2007, our subscriber base continued to grow, but at a slower pace than in previous periods. We believe that our slower subscriber growth was driven in part by competitive factors including the effectiveness of certain competitors' promotional offers, the number of markets in which competitors offer local HD channels, and their aggressive marketing of such advantages. Satellite launch delays at DISH Network have slowed its growth of local HD markets which in turn has delayed its own aggressive retention marketing efforts. Subscriber growth was also affected by worsening economic conditions which included a slowdown in new housing starts. Additional impacts to subscriber growth included operational inefficiencies at DISH Network and piracy and other forms of fraud. Most of the factors described above have affected both the growth of new subscribers and the churn of existing customers. --Source: Dish Network

10K Reports tell the story. People are leaving and they are not growing.

Summary of DISH NETWORK CORP - Yahoo! Finance

During 2007, our subscriber base continued to grow, but at a slower pace than in previous periods. We believe that our slower subscriber growth was driven in part by competitive factors including the effectiveness of certain competitors' promotional offers, the number of markets in which competitors offer local HD channels, and their aggressive marketing of such advantages. Satellite launch delays at DISH Network have slowed its growth of local HD markets which in turn has delayed its own aggressive retention marketing efforts. Subscriber growth was also affected by worsening economic conditions which included a slowdown in new housing starts. Additional impacts to subscriber growth included operational inefficiencies at DISH Network and piracy and other forms of fraud. Most of the factors described above have affected both the growth of new subscribers and the churn of existing customers. --Source: Dish Network

10K Reports tell the story. People are leaving and they are not growing.

Summary of DISH NETWORK CORP - Yahoo! Finance

There you have it, they have made adding HD locals their priority because they believe they're losing customers because of that.

Just had a upset D* customer call asking about E* programming costs. Seems like after looking at his current D* programming vs. what he could be getting from E*, AND adding DVR, it was a no brainer for this customer to move to E*. Even after discussing his options for HD, he would get free hardware and HD essential for what he is currently paying D* and no DVR or HD. So, it looks like the "average Joe" still is receiving a pretty good bang for the $$$$$ from E*. Sure, the avid HD fan is anxious for MORE HD. I want more as well. This technology is, in the eyes of most tv viewers, being confused with digital conversion due in FEB '09. Everybody in tv sales and programming are well aware of the confusion that is causing...let the good times roll !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts