If HD Cinema could get the HD Transfers of?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
1- The Martin Scorsese Film Collection:

(a) Raging Bull
(b) Last Waltz
(c) New York, New York
(d) BoxCar Bertha

2 - Around the World in 80 Days

3 - Scarface (Only aired on Widescreen upconvertion on Encore)

I take it this is a request thread?

I wonder when they're gonna deliver with Spaceballs like they said in the release of the re-named channels.

Yes... Must of these except for Scarface are MGM and WB which they already have contract with. I just got the Martin Scorsese and Around the World in 80 Days as a gift. Around the World in 80 Days looks very good on DVD and I can only imagine how it will look in HD.

Yeah i have around the world in 80 days, it's a nice flick. Its one of the films mentioned on the website yet it has never played. Only around the world in 80 ways...

TheTimm said:
I'd prefer anything good, regardless of when it was made. :D New crap would still be, well... crap.

Well, I would say amen to that. A few weeks ago I signed up for VaVaVoom a few weeks ago when it seemed like Voom's immediate future was in doubt.
It is much like what I remembered of premium channels: some new good stuff and a lot of new crap. It is just my opinion and taste, but new, old, or inbetween, there is very little on the Voom exclusive movie channels that I want to watch. One recent movie that showed was "The Professional" and it is one of my recent favorites after having seen it on Bravo, so I welcomed the chance to see it in hd on Voom. I do like watching movies I enjoy over again, so it is not the repeats that bother me, but rather the run of the mill quality of the movies, much like the premium movie channels.

Even the new movies get old. I've been watching StarzHD the last few weeks since it's been free and thought I was in heaven, but there has been very little new content added since I started watching it. The new Saturday night releases have not even been HD, what a bummer.

yeah but one thing voom (cinema 10) lacks is a mix of old and new (they have almost all old)...

Not saying go out and buy the rights to Lord of the Rings... but atleast get some newer movies.

Bubba Ho-Tep for example (2002 movie and was great)... no need to never show anything that is/was a recent film.

Yes the premium services are getting as bad as Voom CINHDX these days. I don't see how folks can spend so much a month for repeated movies playing 24/7. A good movie once in a while is nice, but DVDs are where most of my movie viewing comes from.

BFG said:
Yes the premium services are getting as bad as Voom CINHDX these days. I don't see how folks can spend so much a month for repeated movies playing 24/7. A good movie once in a while is nice, but DVDs are where most of my movie viewing comes from.

Here is what's coming up for the Premium Channels, and since I get them all in HD, there are a few to look forward to, but not in OAR. :mad:

Starz-Universal ,Dreamworks ,Disney Group-(Pixar, Miramax, etc) and New Line, Sony ( not Columbia Pictures )
Coming soon( already out on DVD, next stop pay channels):Shrek 2, The Bourne Supremacy, Van Helsing, The Village (Disney-no HD ? ), Collateral, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (Disney-no HD ? ), Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, The Terminal, Hidalgo (Disney-no HD ? ), Kill Bill Vol. 2 (Disney-no HD ? ), Dawn of the Dead, The Chronicles of Riddick, King Arthur (Disney-no HD ? ), The Ladykillers, Jersey Girl (Disney-no HD ? ), The Alamo (Disney-no HD ? ), 13 Going on 30

Showtime ( and TMC )-Paramount, MGM Not has many deals with studios as the other two so not as many big movies: Coming soon:Mean Girls, The Manchurian Candidate, Walking Tall, Barbershop 2: Back in Business, The Stepford Wives, Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London

HBO ( and Max to a lesser degree )-Warner Brothers, Columbia Pictures ( Sony ) , 20th Century Fox The best right now based on deals with these studios since they had the biggests hits of the summer, a lot of hit movies coming soon:
Coming soon: Spider-Man 2, The Passion of the Christ, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Day After Tomorrow, I, Robot, Troy, DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, Man on Fire, Garfield: The Movie, White Chicks, The Punisher

The premium channels do get some of the big, more recent hit movies, but much of the rest of the movies are very average. The problem with the newer movies is that I am too much on top of the curve when it comes to them. That is, if a movie is good and I want to see it, I probably all ready have seen it at the theater, or rented the dvd, or bought the dvd. Plus, once you have watched the new movies for the month, then there is not much left. My first weekend with VaVaVoom there were many movies I watched, but by the second weekend that had slacked off considerably. So I may keep VaVaVoom for a few months before I drop it when the weather gets nice.

What would really be nice is if TCM especially, as well as IFC and also AMC would be hd. I can find quite a few movies to watch on those channels. Also, TCM and IFC show many movies that are letterboxed, so it would be nice to see them in hd on my widescreen hdtv.

I respect all your opinions but I am one that do not go a theater or rent DVDs. I am not even trying to watch DVDs anymore. They do not cut it for me. So to me the HD transfers of movies is what it is all about until HD DVD comes along. I am not sorry to pay for the all package (VAVA VOOM). Even if there are repeated movies there is always something to watch when I sit down to watch it. I do not buy the philosophy that 7 channels equal 40. Sorry that does not cut it in my book. But then again while we at it, repeats are overblown here since today there is no 24/7 HD channel without repeat. Not even HDnet or HDnet movies do that since you can always find the repeats over there.

Again, if you are satisfied with what you "believe" is the best alternative for your entertainment, I am not against that. I am just saying that different people have different taste and different behavior on how to spend their time in front of a TV. Not everyone is in to DVDs. I used to be on them all the time and even have a collection of them. But I put them away and I am not buying any DVDs until HD DVD is here.

Sean Mota said:
I respect all your opinions but I am one that do not go a theater or rent DVDs. I am not even trying to watch DVDs anymore. They do not cut it for me. So to me the HD transfers of movies is what it is all about until HD DVD comes along. I am not sorry to pay for the all package (VAVA VOOM). Even if there are repeated movies there is always something to watch when I sit down to watch it. I do not buy the philosophy that 7 channels equal 40. Sorry that does not cut it in my book. But then again while we at it, repeats are overblown here since today there is no 24/7 HD channel without repeat. Not even HDnet or HDnet movies do that since you can always find the repeats over there.

Again, if you are satisfied with what you "believe" is the best alternative for your entertainment, I am not against that. I am just saying that different people have different taste and different behavior on how to spend their time in front of a TV. Not everyone is in to DVDs. I used to be on them all the time and even have a collection of them. But I put them away and I am not buying any DVDs until HD DVD is here.

You're right, everybody has a different opinion.
I suppose if I stop going out to the movies and renting or buying dvds, then there would be plenty of new movies to watch on tv. But I have a 13 year old daughter who likes to go out to movies and I have a nice home theater system with a front pj and a good dvd player that I use to watch movies when I want to view them. So I guess that I cannot complain too much about the repeats. I do enjoy repeats of movies I really like, but not just any old movie just because it is on.

I signed up for VaVaVoom a few weeks back when it appeared that Voom's future in the short term was doubtful. I thought I would enjoy a lot of hd for a short while because I never would have signed up for it otherwise. I will probably drop it in the spring because there are only so many hours in the day for watching tv and when it is nice it is good to get out. Living in Wisconsin it is nice to sit inside and watch tv in the winter, but when it is nice outside it is beautiful. That is why there is a stream of cars heading to Wisconsin from Chicago on a Friday evening. Also, the extra $42 a month it costs me almost pays for my phone and internet connection and because I signed up for VaVaVoom I lost my grandfathered $39/month fee and will have to pay $10 more a month. Also, Voom is still charging tax. Whatever happened with that tax situation?

elocs said:
Also, Voom is still charging tax. Whatever happened with that tax situation?

Check whether your state is exempt from taxes. Also, the question to ask is the tax on your programming or your hardware? They have corrected the majority of tax problems they had.

As I said about the programming, everyone has their different behavior of watching TV. I do not have a problem with anyone's opinion on since I myself have my own behavior which more often clashes with people's viewing habits here in this forum and other forums.

I feel fine paying for the VaVaVOOM package and I have always paid for it whether I was with Dish, Cable or VOOM. As I said I do not go to the theater and I do not watch DVDs as much anymore. I also do not watch Network TV vey much either (too much commercial for my taste). All the channels could be better and there are improvement to be made on all of them. Tell me about it I have them all. Voom covers everything except HDnet and HDnet movies (which I get from Dish) and INHD (which I get from cable). As you mentioned, I only have 2 hours per evening (M-F) to watch a movie or a good program. Sometimes it is even less. On weekends I have more hours. Given my behavior patterns, I always find something new (to me) to watch on pay TV. It may be repeats to someone else but to me it is new because I haven't watched. Sometimes I may even missed movies and catch them a month later.

Again, not everyone is like me and everyone needs to adjust their premium fee according to what they watch. If I was spending money on going to the theater or renting DVDs, I would not probably carry so many channels. I would adjust according to my watching tv behavior.

Last August and September I had Blockbuster's movie pass and was getting 2 dvds everyday and sometimes more on weekends. It was nice because it a movie wasn't good, I would just take it out and play the other. Usually I would get at least one movie I liked out of the two I had. They lost money on me with that deal, but after 2 months I was just sick of movies and so I cancelled it. The trouble is, some of the movies I saw back then are the ones showing up now on the premium channels. But my daughter still likes to go out to the movies and we have a great second run movie theater where you can see movies at night for $3 and $1.50 matinees. It is an old theater that I went to as a kid and looks like a castle inside. They also serve beer and pizza and bring it out to you in the theater, so it is hard to pass up that kind of experience for the price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts