If I cancel DirecTV will my 'whole home netowrking' continue to work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robotron

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
california
I've decided to cancel my DirecTV service - I just don't watch that much TV. Anyway, I *AM* using the little black networking boxes which I bought on eBay to network my PCs together, piggy backing over the whole home DVR service. If I cancel DirecTV will this 'network' continue to work, or does it depend on DirecTV itself running? (Assume that I own all of the necessary equipment, ie., the little black boxes needed to connect at each point with the network after DirecTV takes the satellite boxes away.)

I dont believe the cck will function without a deca enabled receiver being on the network, so no. I dont have pcs to test this with however.

What may work is the older (white) decas with power adapters plugged into them, in that senario you are just converting cat5 to coax

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

This may work if you use two uploadfromtaptalk1364968034404.jpg

Doing a bit more research (me playing with toys) i connected a white deca to my home network, and put a power inserter on the to receiver end. I then connected the coax (to another room in your case) to the coax in of a second deca and plugged a power inserter into the other. All lights go green, so it looks like you should be good.

In pic, grey cat5 is connected to my wallplate (internet feed)
Two power inserters used, blue cat5 would go to computer.

Excuse the extreme cruedness its cold and i just ran to my truck in boxers, but this should work.

robotron,

The simple answer is "yes". But, it is imperative that you keep the connection to your router intact. All the DECA's do is transfer the IP packets from your cat5 line to the coax. They do not provide any switching or caching. That is all controlled by your router. If you break the connection with the router all will fail.

Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)