If I had a good career I'd have both DirecTV and Dish Network at the same time.

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by edisonprime, Oct 6, 2019.

1. edisonprime

edisonprime Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

(This would mean that the career that I would have would mean I were rich and nothing less.) As far as I know, no channel has been in a dispute with both these providers simultaneously. Plus, both providers have equipment and channels that the other doesn't.

2. JSheridan

JSheridan Full Time Resident Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You just have to have the right career. I'm definitely not rich but we're a DISH and DirecTV retailer so we have both. :)

Justy5, NYDutch, navychop and 4 others like this.
  3. JSheridan

And I'd just like to add that the only time I use the Genie is when something is not on DISH. :biggrin

NYDutch, navychop, Ziptied and 2 others like this.
  4. edisonprime

Yeah, but can you still “move” with both?

5. JSheridan

No, but I have no desire to 'move' so it's not a problem. :)

6. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why would a dealer “move?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYDutch and HipKat like this.
  7. edisonprime

I’m sure there are people of every category who wants different locals for one reason or another.

8. NYDutch

NYDutch SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

There's a building contractor's "summer home" a couple of miles from our cottage that has Dish, DTV, and Spectrum TV services for his little 20 seat home theater. He's not happy that I get both the Burlington, VT and the Albany, NY DMA locals on Dish and he doesn't. Every time I see him he presses me to tell him where I've got my dish aimed to get them. He doesn't believe it's aimed exactly the same as his dish. If he wasn't such an a**, I might even tell him where to "move" to... :)

truckracer, TheKrell, HipKat and 4 others like this.
  9. Ypsiguy

Ypsiguy SatelliteGuys Guru

If I were a big NFL fan, I would have both so I could have Sunday Ticket.

HipKat likes this.
  10. The Fat Man

The Fat Man Poster of Randomness Lifetime Supporter

I personally don't see the need for both. I do see where perhaps paying for cable and satellite has its benefits. There are public access channels available on cable that simply isn't delivered via satellite. If there's a storm that causes signal fade, I can switch to cable. Then if there's a storm that takes down cable lines, I can switch to satellite. Also, at least in my case, it would be how I watch NBC Sports Boston, seeing that Dish doesn't carry it. But, I do have my work around for that. And, that doesn't require me paying for DirecTV or cable along with my Dish subscription.

I would have been singing a different tune 10 years ago. I was more like bluegras. I wanted every channel. I paid for the AT 250 package. I would camp in front of the TV all the time. But, after having kids and some advancements in my career, my television viewing habits changed drastically. Even my handle The Fat Man was due to my being a large man, pushing nearly 300 lbs back then. My diet and exercise habits changed drastically, and that username isn't accurate anymore. I'm not built or skinny. But, I'm not fat either.

HipKat and mdonnelly like this.
  11. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

You get a better deal on cable broadband when you bundle limited cable tv
    Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

12. ewindowman

ewindowman SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I have had two services for years. I like dish and my wife and daughter like fios . During the fox black out I could watch it on fios and we have hbo also . So I am glad to have both.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

13. MR_X

MR_X SatelliteGuys Family

If I had a better career, I'd sell my 97 acre property move to somewhere that gave me the option of not having to use either of these awful satellite companies.

14. mwdxer1

mwdxer1 SatelliteGuys Pro

It is funny you mention that, I did consider that years ago as both services had channels I wanted, but the cost kept me away. In streaming there are many that have 3-5 services at the same time as it is easier with no hardware to deal with. I did pick up Philo for $20 a month that has both BBC World & Aspire. Both are in the regular packages on Direct but not on Dish. You can get BBC World on Dish, but you have to pay an extra $10 for a news pack and the rest are already in AT250. Dish is great as I still have the Super Stations and also Dish carries several OTA diginets that Direct does not have like METV, BUZZR, Grit, Get TV, Laff, etc. So there are pluses in both services...

15. HipKat

HipKat SatelliteGuys Master Pub Member / Supporter

If it weren't for ETF's, I would get DTV for that, also. The Dish and cabling from the last residents of my house is still on the garage (I ran new cables when I put up my Dish). I would treat it like i do the Multi-Sport pack and just get it during the Winter/Football season

Ypsiguy likes this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

Not Dish and DTV, but I do have access to a Spectrum account that I use to activate a few streaming apps for channels my Dish package doesn't have. I pay for the Spectrum account, but the service is installed in a dear friend's apartment in an assisted living center. I don't feel at all guilty about using the credentials.

17. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

I pay more money then any human should for video, data and voice. Charter, DirecTV, HughesNet, T-Mobile and Sprint all get money from me.

For reliability, DirecTV and Charter are about the same in my book. Problem is my power has been less than reliable over the past few years and my cable node isn't battery backed-up. I have a collection of APC UPS units, and will be getting a whole house generator before the winter, but no power means no cable, which means no cable TV, phone or internet. Since there's no cell phone coverage and I depend on wifi calling, no internet also means no cell phone. Sometimes HughesNet is okay to make a wifi call, sometimes it is not.

What I may end up doing is cutting back on DirecTV, and port my Sprint line over to HughesNet Voice. Also looking at getting a ruggedized long range cordless phone setup like I have set up at work.

My initial justification for having both DirecTV and cable was the programming. Cable had a much superior HD line up and DirecTV had NFL Sunday Ticket. Now DirecTV has caught up in the HD channel department, and I have no desire to watch the players of the National Felon League disrespect and spit on our Flag and National Anthem.

18. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I'll be curious to hear how your experience with the whole house generator goes. I've seriously been considering doing the same thing myself. We have a lot of power outages here in SC during the winter because of bad weather. Trees everywhere, so they can easily fall and knock down power lines sometimes for days at a time. Natural gas is really reasonable where I am too, which makes it an added bonus. I hate to spend so much money on something that might be rarely used, but being able to have power when everybody else doesn't would be nice. I'd have to add some sort of Satellite Internet subscription to have internet during the outage though. Here the Verizon towers slow down to 3g speed when the power is out.

19. ArrayIndex

ArrayIndex New Member

Altitude sports went for a triple play here. It went dark on Dish, Direct, and XFINITY.

20. sty6

sty6 Active SatelliteGuys Member

I have DirecTv for NFLST and Dish for regular programming. Dish receivers in my opinion are much better than Directv. It blows you have to have a channel package to get it which you did not need many years ago. Having both is handy for when either one has a channel takedown. Yeah it's not cheap but hopefully the NFL will allow multiple providers to carry Sunday Ticket when the Directv exclusivity is up when the current is up If so would Dish even try for it?, who knows.

Separate names with a comma.

More...