If I had a good career I'd have both DirecTV and Dish Network at the same time.

I'll be curious to hear how your experience with the whole house generator goes. I've seriously been considering doing the same thing myself. We have a lot of power outages here in SC during the winter because of bad weather. Trees everywhere, so they can easily fall and knock down power lines sometimes for days at a time. Natural gas is really reasonable where I am too, which makes it an added bonus. I hate to spend so much money on something that might be rarely used, but being able to have power when everybody else doesn't would be nice. I'd have to add some sort of Satellite Internet subscription to have internet during the outage though. Here the Verizon towers slow down to 3g speed when the power is out.

The Generac 7172 is the model I decided on. Now I'm just going back and fourth between a few local retailers to see who will give the best deal and what referral deals are available, if any, since the neighbor down the road would be interested as well. Generac Power Systems - 10kW Guardian Series Home Generator with Transfer Switch - 7172

During our two major, national/international news making snow storms this century, the October Surprise in 2006, and Snowvember 2014, I only lost power for six or seven hours each time. Power outages were never a concern, we'd have a couple a year, never lasting more than an hour or two. Then in March 2017 when we had fierce windstorms that left us without power for 5 days, that's when things started to take a down turn. I've probably had 10 power outages in the year 2019 so far. Three being in the beginning of January, New Years day it was over 12 hours. The one on the 3rd or 4th of January was only about 4 hours, but there was a surge that killed our 5 year old $2500 refrigerator. Had three outages last month, one only lasted for 45 minutes though. The saving grace of all of this is the hot water tank is gas ignite, and we got city water about 10 years ago. As long as I have hot water for showers, I can live.

I would rather have a cellular based internet back up, instead of satellite for internet. Faster speeds, much lower latency. But besides having poor to non existent cell phone coverage, I'm a little leery of depending on a cell phone tower for all of my communication.

I have DirecTv for NFLST and Dish for regular programming. Dish receivers in my opinion are much better than Directv. It blows you have to have a channel package to get it which you did not need many years ago. Having both is handy for when either one has a channel takedown. Yeah it's not cheap but hopefully the NFL will allow multiple providers to carry Sunday Ticket when the Directv exclusivity is up when the current is up If so would Dish even try for it?, who knows.

In a word, no.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)