If it wern't for bad luck I would have none at all!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
Lightning or power surge again! I won Brians ACS1 after posting that I lived in the lightning capitol of the world. Never had any damage there. Now my A3 is screwed not sure on the ASC1. Could be the A3 causing it, but not sure. Also lost my OTA system, now get one channel. My Rs Pro 197 scanner is dead along with my PSR 410 out in the garage. The garage has its own meter, so I am wondering, close strike or power surge?

:( Sorry to hear that an electrical gremlin has visited!

You mention that the garage has its own meter. Are there any utilities, wires, coaxes for any service or reason connecting between the two structures? If so, have you checked for correct wiring? If any utility or wiring runs between the structures, check for a bonding wiring between the two structures grounds (earthing).

The garage may be on a different leg or a structure may have an reversed neutral /ground. So many issues come up when different power drops feed a property.

Would a whole house (garage) surge device help?

:( Sorry to hear that an electrical gremlin has visited!

You mention that the garage has its own meter. Are there any utilities, wires, coaxes for any service or reason connecting between the two structures? If so, have you checked for correct wiring? If any utility or wiring runs between the structures, check for a bonding wiring between the two structures grounds (earthing).

The garage may be on a different leg or a structure may have an reversed neutral /ground. So many issues come up when different power drops feed a property.
Thanks Brian, as far as I know the garage is it's own entity, nothing shared. The reversed neutral could be a possibility. How would one check that?

Sorry to hear that! We took a hit last year and lost our satellite receiver and both lnbs (ku and c band), the antenna preamp and the kid's computer (in another room). You could feel it in the house. I disconnect all the coax lines now and unplug the receiver/mover whenever there are bad storms coming. Glad you are safe!

Would a whole house (garage) surge device help?
Not sure. Since there was damage to both the house and garage and I was not here at here at the time, I don't know if I am dealing with Power problems or lightning problems. Or maybe both lightning hitting a pole or wire and sending incredible voltage down the line.

Now when I lived in central Florida I learned about ground differentials when I got DSL. Bell South lines ran on the opposite side of the house than the power feed. They came up the close side and put a ground rod in. After three modems with the last one partially melted they made a new run and bonded it to the main ground.

You seriously need to consider getting Panamax surge protectors.

I used to get them wholesale and put them on every computer, server and or electronic device in the office.

We had a surge one day, it took out every surge protector in the office.

I ended up replacing about 30 of them.

I was so happy none of my stuff was damaged, I paid to replace all of them and never bothered with having the warranty send out replacements

Reactions: Comptech
Fixed! power supply for the A3 got damaged. Put a DVOM on the output of the transformer and was getting anywhere from mid 9 volt range with a max of eleven and a half. Put a bench power supply on it and all is fine. Brian could you please look at my post a Joe's and offer your two cents? Thanks guys for the help.

While I am not a big fan of SMPS power supplies, in your case The A3 SMPS probably saved a lot of gear! Otherwise, it could have taken out everything attached as the voltage surge searched for the best grounding!

So see, you do have some good luck!

Reactions: Comptech
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)