If you want a Panny plasma, you better budget it by 2014...

When it says equivalent, is that meaning value? Id assume so since there is no model that matches the criteria anymore. My policy is for $2600, so Id guess I get a decent LED :rant:

Found it

5. HOW WE WILL SERVICE YOUR ITEM:

Depending on the item and failure circumstances, We will either:

Repair your Product, or
Provide a cash settlement or a Gift Card reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality up to the Coverage Amount, or
Provide a new or refurbished product of equal features and functionality.

The Chinese claim to be building OLED lines. Maybe.

I still have a Trinitron. 27". I also have a 61" JVC RPTV pushing 9 years that I am still quite happy with. Only planned on keeping it 5, but heck, it's just fine for us. Maybe stretch it out until a good OLED comes out that I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Aren't they already OEMing panels?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not sure how much, but Im sure its going to grow.

The panasonic "insider" on another site has really started discussing some problematic info. Seems after the plasma news was finally public, more has come out new. Morale is bad, their failure in plasma could more due to internal decision making (lack there of) and upper management. They also had plans for 2014, but the AV side's budget has been cut dramatically. Just reading between the lines I expect little offering in LED LCD going forward, they probably will be out of displays before its over. He did leave a hint they may be moving on with OLED panelmanufacturing, and I took that comment as they would not be making OLED displays...

Here is a statement for all you Panny fans:

"The company is moving to business application. If we could make money in consumer we would stay. We just can't."

Sad times. My goal will be watching Samsung plasma in '14 and '15. Once I get the feeling they are out, Ill grab one and hope these two last me until OLED becomes normally priced and reliable. I havent found an LCD I want yet with everyone moving away from full array back lit. I watch my VT50 now with all the lights out, and I like it.

I am very disappointed. Have had panny plasmas for years for a reason, I hate to see them out of it.

I am very disappointed. Have had panny plasmas for years for a reason, I hate to see them out of it.

I agree, HD, large sizes and plasma pricing and performance were huge steps forward. Now we sit with 4K LCD's that are sidelit and 1080p OLEDs that are expensive and yet to be proven. At least Samsung and LG still make plasma, while not as good as Panasonic in black level, they are better than a lot of LCD's out there and they are affordable in large screens.

Hopefully, something will emerge. We had the same sort of stories when Pioneer killed the Kuro line.

This time is different. Plasma had life then and Panasonic marched forward with pioneer patents granted their black level took time to reduce. We all know its on borrowed time and I feel Samsung was in it only to compete with Panny. You were also seeing full array back lit LCD's which had great promise, but they have also now been removed from production. There will be a gap, but I hope anyone wanting a plasma (sales have been better lately) will look at Samsung and keep them in it a couple of more years. Id take their F8500 64" plasma over any comparably priced LCD.

Understood. Like I said on the last page, most people don't pay for quality. Panel production requires high volumes, so, like that rare earth phosphor thing, we can expect whatever LCD will provide until the technology catches up again.

I think the ST is a fantastic display, especially when considering the price point. It is my "recommended buy".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts