If you're ordering E*...

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
It might be a good idea to leave your existing VOOM Dish pointing to Rainbow-1 (at 61.5). Maybe Charlie adds some "compelling" content at that location after the sale completes :). I'm leaving mine.

That seems to be what one of the Dish CSR's was hinting at when he said to wait until after Apr 30 to order Dishnetwork???

Dumb question--is there any way that the VOOM 21 could be handled so that it could be sold to BOTH E* and D*?

Dish already offers CBS HD from the 61.5 satellite so it must already have the dishes, equipment to receive from that satellite.

Also, I don't believe the VOOM 21 included the Starz HD, Cinemax HD, TMC HD--they now seem to be only available to cable, so how would wither D* or E* pick those up? Why can't E* get Universal HD? What about Wealth HD?

Agree, Starz HD, Cinemax HD, TMC HD and Universal HD are must to be added channels. Before Voom21, I mean. Don't get me wrong , I liked Voom21 but watched those channels more often then Voom21.

It does not require any realignment, I've already tried it. All you need is a switch 21 to join the 2 dishes together, then do a check switch and you are set. Dish does have a demo channel that is great for oooooh's & ahhhhhh's when you want to demo your system to someone.

I am not sure about this but I think DISH may use a different LNB type. So, DISH should be OK but you may need to swap out the LNB. Maybe someone who has tried it can verify.

all I know in the last charlie chat, ergin said their would be no new HD content until later in the year, and that the CC in September they would talk about it

The voom satellite and the dish satellite at the 61.5 location are two different birds. The dish bird is old and ready to be mothballed. The voom bird is new with all the bells and whistles. I kept my voom dish pointed at the 61.5 and integrated it into the 110 and 119 signals using a dp34 switch. Doesn't make sense to buy the voom bird and not use it. My guess is local hd's. That is their priority. Whatever they do, I hope it's sooner than later.

:yes :no :yes :no :yes :no :yes :no :yes :no :yes :no :yes :no

Amphicar770 said:
I am not sure about this but I think DISH may use a different LNB type. So, DISH should be OK but you may need to swap out the LNB. Maybe someone who has tried it can verify.
Read my post, I tried it and it works, but I am using a 6000, I don't know if the 811 or newer stb's require the new LNB for Dish or not.

Compatability between voom LNB and DishNetwork Switch depends on which type of LNB/Switches your DishNetwork system uses.

DishNetwork uses two differant types of LNB's/Switches:
1. Legacy LNB's - these are the older type of DishNetwork LNB's and are compatable with the Voom dish as is, and use the Switch 21 type of switches.

2. DishPro LNB's (these do frequency stacking) and are not compatable with the Voom dish LNB (legacy type) as is. If your Dish setup has a DP type switch like a DP34 then this will not work with the voom dish as is. You have two options to make it work:
A.) Swap out the lagacy LNB on the Voom Dish and replace it with a DishNetwork DP LNB (Frequency Stacking).
B.) Install a DP Adapter ($60) between the current voom dish lnb and the DP switch on the DisnNetwork equipment (but the DP adapter needs power so this may be difficult because the DP switch will be on the DishNetwork Dish.